• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

richieb1971

Established Member
Though moving it south (if I'm getting the location right) would remove its current primary role*, as it'd be further from the colleges than Midland, so you'd want to be sure the new catchment would use it enough to be worth doing that over realigning and closing it.

* Rare to see anyone using it who doesn't look like a college kid, and they are in quite big numbers in so far as that line goes.

The catchment area for the Northern St John's proposal would likely be the Elstow Road area. The hospital to be near would require a footpath made to the car park area. It's only 1 min extra walk if a footpath is built. If not add 3-5 mins walk to most desired locations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that this thread is to allow posters to provide East West Rail Construction Updates. If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

Trainee9

We know that one track has been laid across the new Bletchley flyover, from various reports and images. But how far does it go? Today I visited the overbridge on the Bletchley Leys Farm-Newton Longville road, and looking eastward as far as the outskirts of Bletchley could see no track.

Dr A.Johnston

One track is down through the station to the end of the viaduct. The second track is due down shortly again to the end of the viaduct. Apparently the story I was given as to why they just for now finished at the end of the viaduct rather than part way, was that, if there was a run through it would come off the end of the tracks rather than the viaduct concreate if the line was short which is easier to fix (less structual damage), to me initially it sounded like someone had watch to many american films, but having thought about it, i guess it has some merit. Tracklaying from the Bicester end is due to start shortly. So some good photo opertunities soon.

But I guess there is someone a bit in the knwoledge who may share the full correct reason. Most likely contract reasons.

fishwomp

EWR have issued a Winter 2021/22 newsletter:
Thanks.

It mentions a loco using the flyover for the first time since 1993 when the line closed. I think that is incorrect, as early 2000s I recall the relaying of track in a yard just west of the flyover to be used for ballast/engineers sidings - presumably that had some use then, or have used a loco during construction if it were never used in anger. Any other readers confirm or correct me here?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks.

It mentions a loco using the flyover for the first time since 1993 when the line closed. I think that is incorrect, as early 2000s I recall the relaying of track in a yard just west of the flyover to be used for ballast/engineers sidings - presumably that had some use then, or have used a loco during construction if it were never used in anger. Any other readers confirm or correct me here?
I think you‘re a little early with the date but I‘d agree there was a short period of use by engineering trains as far as Newton Longville during the West Coast route modernisation. Wiki reckons around 2006.

It’s fairly normal for this sort of publicity piece to fall short…

Trainee9

I think you‘re a little early with the date but I‘d agree there was a short period of use by engineering trains as far as Newton Longville during the West Coast route modernisation. Wiki reckons around 2006.
One of the videos claims to show a train crossing the viaduct in 2018. How far did the track extend at this time?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
One of the videos claims to show a train crossing the viaduct in 2018. How far did the track extend at this time?
I think one of the videos linked, (the cab ride part 1), went almost as far as permitted, basically where it first changed from double to single track, but if you look at the background at the very end of the video you can see another set of points. This isolated 2 track section is visible on the current aerial view on Google, and there’s a set of buffers visible about 1.5 miles, (measured from the new platform position at the high level). At the next road bridge there’s a fence across the single track and sections are completely missing after that.

DelW

Established Member
The Silverlink Swansong railtour went to Swanbourne sidings on 10th November 2007, as did the Missing Link railtour on 17th March 2018. The itineraries show the distance from the summit of the flyover to Swanbourne as 1 mile and 31 or 32 chains. I noted the reversal point of the Silverlink tour as grid ref SP 853327 (corresponding to my seat, not the end of the train).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The Silverlink Swansong railtour went to Swanbourne sidings on 10th November 2007, as did the Missing Link railtour on 17th March 2018. The itineraries show the distance from the summit of the flyover to Swanbourne as 1 mile and 31 or 32 chains. I noted the reversal point of the Silverlink tour as grid ref SP 853327 (corresponding to my seat, not the end of the train).
The LNWR(S) sectional appendix has those sidings shown present but out of use in its current version, with the EWR worksite also placing everything in the area under long term possession as well.

Of course as is often the case, this recent version of “Swanbourne sidings“ is nowhere near the earlier Swanbourne station, quite a bit further on. I assumed though that @DarloRich probably meant the modern sidings, rather than the historic station…

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looking at Phil Marsh’s photos, I note that they have realigned the junction coming off of the flyover, so you effectively now head north to the WCML or turn right to Bedford than head straight for Bedford or left to the WCML.

Yes, that’s the way it’s shown in the various drawings of the high level station, the down platform keeps over to that side of the existing viaduct and the up platform stays about the same distance apart, with the up side of the gradually widening viaduct getting further away from the back of the platform.

Trainee9

The Bletchley sites i.e. Duncombe Street, Water Eaton Road etc show signs of tidy-up with solid board fencing, gate guard huts, scaffolding, spoil heaps etc disappearing.

Graham H

There are 2 or 3 special trains that went over it in the past 5-10 years.

Curious signal at 55secs in on cab ride 3 as initially I would be expecting to turn right based on the feathers which is probably why I dont drive trains !

Nottingham59

Established Member
Curious signal at 55secs in on cab ride 3 asI initially I would be expecting to turn right based on the feathers which is probably why I dont drive trains !
That looks to me like a leftmost route of three possible turnouts on the left hand side of the mainline.

Graham H

That looks to me like a leftmost route of three possible turnouts on the left hand side of the mainline.
Agreed, its just the way the signal is constructed I suppose in a sort of large square rather than the route heads being on top

snowball

Established Member
The first time I watched the video, I too thought it pointed to the right.

The existence of such a potentially misleading signal is no doubt part of the route knowledge.

About 5 seconds into the video there's an illuminated arrow pointing down to the left. Is this an advance warning of the feather?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The first time I watched the video, I too thought it pointed to the right.

The existence of such a potentially misleading signal is no doubt part of the route knowledge.

About 5 seconds into the video there's an illuminated arrow pointing down to the left. Is this an advance warning of the feather?
Yes, I believe that sort of arrow is called a preliminary route indicator.

Agreed, its just the way the signal is constructed I suppose in a sort of large square rather than the route heads being on top
If you stop the video at the right place there is a normal shaped left hand route indicator back board for the 3 positions, but on the video you can’t separate it from the access cage behind the signal.

Nottingham59

Established Member
a sort of large square rather than the route heads being on top
I understand they do that if there would be limited visibility of feathers in the usual position above the signal. There was a derailment in this area, because the crossover signal used a route indicator panel instead of feathers, so they do have visibility issues around here

Trainee9

The Google satellite views show the now removed tracks westward of Bletchley converging to single track, diverging to double track and then back to single before stopping at a set of buffers. Part of this is also seen in the above videos. Was part of the route always single track? Is there a map anywhere showing the location of the Swanbourne sidings? I think I have figured out where they were from written descriptions (names of lanes have changed) but the area appears now returned to agriculture.

A more on-topic question: has any of the bridge and embankment work for the EWR being devoted to upgrading a single track trackbed to take the new twin-track railway?

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Google satellite views show the now removed tracks eastward of Bletchley converging to single track, diverging to double track and then back to single before stopping at a set of buffers. Part of this is also seen in the above videos. Was part of the route always single track? Is there a map anywhere showing the location of the Swanbourne sidings? I think I have figured out where they were from written descriptions (names of lanes have changed) but the area appears now returned to agriculture.

A more on-topic question: has any of the bridge and embankment work for the EWR being devoted to upgrading a single track trackbed to take the new twin-track railway?
I think you intended to refer to west of Bletchley?

hwl

Established Member