• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes several maps available on the national Library of Scotland digital maps service:
e.g.

It appears to be woodland rather than return to agriculture.
The current Google satellite view also shows EWR work compound B5 has been set up in the cleared eastern end of the Swanbourne Sidings site (WW2 version). Just for completeness the modernisation plan Swanbourne Marshalling yard that was never built would have been further along, just west of the Swanbourne Station site

Apologies for drifting off-topic into history…

A more on-topic question: has any of the bridge and embankment work for the EWR being devoted to upgrading a single track trackbed to take the new twin-track railway?
If you select the 1914 maps at the link @hwl provided you can see the complete route was originally double track.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It'll be "ancient woodland" if there is any possibility of it reverting to railway use.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
They’d probably try it on. “Ancient” in this case meaning after 1971 or so, if wiki is correct…

Wiki isn't correct. True "!ancient woodland" (the most important) is a woodland that has existed continuously since 1600 or before in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Planting of woodland was uncommon before those dates, so a wood present in 1600 is likely to have developed naturally.

What this means is that the long-term interaction of a whole ecosystem will have had time to happen; such sites are very vulnerable (ecologically) to being reduced in size or fragmented. Hence the arguments of - eg - HST proponents that "only some of a woodland" is being affected, or "we'll plant new trees in lieu" are scientifically illiterate.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wiki isn't correct. True "!ancient woodland" (the most important) is a woodland that has existed continuously since 1600 or before in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Planting of woodland was uncommon before those dates, so a wood present in 1600 is likely to have developed naturally.

What this means is that the long-term interaction of a whole ecosystem will have had time to happen; such sites are very vulnerable (ecologically) to being reduced in size or fragmented. Hence the arguments of - eg - HST proponents that "only some of a woodland" is being affected, or "we'll plant new trees in lieu" are scientifically illiterate.
I’m just referring to wiki reporting the sidings were lifted in 1971. I think you’ve missed what we were getting at…

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I’m just referring to wiki reporting the sidings were lifted in 1971. I think you’ve missed what we were getting at…

What I thought some were getting at is the myth that there are environmentalist NIMBYs who use fake "excuses" of woodlands to oppose railway construction/development. Most environmentalists I know who're worried about the continuing loss of ancient woodlands are very "pro-rail"; and most rail fans I know care about the environment ... unfortunately however, some seem not to care, and are happy to support destructive, over-specified, over-engineered, construction-magnate-friendly, environmentally-disastrous mega-projects which are consuming resources that should be spent on far more useful public transport developments, just because the end result is called a railway. (My perspective here is not directed to any large extent at EWR.)

Nottingham59

Established Member
the myth that there are environmentalist NIMBYs who use fake "excuses" of woodlands to oppose railway construction/development.
But there are a lot of other sorts of NIMBYs who use fake "excuses" of woodlands to oppose railway construction/development.

Mikey C

Established Member
But there are a lot of other sorts of NIMBYs who use fake "excuses" of woodlands to oppose railway construction/development.
And the Great Crested Newts, which for an endangered species, seem to turn up surprisingly often ;)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
And the Great Crested Newts, which for an endangered species, seem to turn up surprisingly often ;)
They thrive on the 'rare' orchids which seem to grow everywhere, along with the 'threatened' bats which roost everywhere!

PS have you tried the Baxenden Bank rent-a-newt service? Orders delivered under cover of darkness to any proposed development site. Prices include next day survey by an ecologist to record their 'finds'. Special prices for RailUKforum members.

DelW

Established Member
I worked for years on the extension and reconstruction of water and sewage treatment plants, and we encountered great crested newts on almost every one that we worked on.

Our environmental adviser reckoned that the protection level was mandated by the EU, based on the newts being endangered in continental Europe, but that they are widespread in Britain. Maybe if this is re-assessed, we might find one of the supposed Brexit benefits, which are rather more elusive than great crested newts themselves.

However, newts do like water (which is why they're common at treatment works), so they may not be having much effect on EWR's progress.

eMeS

Our environmental adviser reckoned that the protection level was mandated by the EU, based on the newts being endangered in continental Europe, but that they are widespread in Britain. ...

I too remember it being the EU that was said to have listed these newts as being endangered in Europe.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
there was a train of sleepers on the north end of the flyover this morning - it looked parked up waiting to be unloaded

Two trains of auto ballasters on the flyover on Monday. One was moving slowly through the station site and one was parked on the flyover arm facing Bedford.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A pair of tampers were noted on the flyover this morning. A Swietelsky machine in the station area and a Colas tamper on the Bedford facing arm of the flyover.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A long train of coal fish wagons top and tailed by freightliner class 66's noted on the flyover this evening

MONDAY EDIT: Another train of coal fish wagons in the high level station area this morning ( single FL class 66 on the north end)

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Hi, a video covering some of the coments above, this is from the YouTube channel 'Trains,Planes, Phones and Drones ,GRM production'

Thanks for linking that video. Really really useful and so much new track going in at Bletchley. At 2:00 right when that segment ends is presumably where the left hand pair of tracks heads northwest onto a new junction on the WCML - presumably onto the Slows or will there be a ladder onto the fasts too.
I guess the double track divergence to the north or is it northeast from that new junction swings onto the Marston Vale line joining the existing formation from Bletchley.

Have any of the junctions been named yet ?

Thanks again

The Planner

Veteran Member
Thanks for linking that video. Really really useful and so much new track going in at Bletchley. At 2:00 right when that segment ends is presumably where the left hand pair of tracks heads northwest onto a new junction on the WCML - presumably onto the Slows or will there be a ladder onto the fasts too.
I guess the double track divergence to the north or is it northeast from that new junction swings onto the Marston Vale line joining the existing formation from Bletchley.

Thanks again
They don't change names. The new crossover at the Winslow end is Bletchley West Jn, then Flyover Summit Jn as it is called now. The tracks that go to the WCML are not new and join at Denbigh Hall South as they do now.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Tuesday: A long train of side tippers hauled by top & tailed FL class 66's noted moving over the flyover from the Oxford direction and moving slowly through the high level station area. Track work must be going on away from the station area.

They don't change names. The new crossover at the Winslow end is Bletchley West Jn, then Flyover Summit Jn as it is called now. The tracks that go to the WCML are not new and join at Denbigh Hall South as they do now.
And also Fenny Stratford Bletchley flyover junction & Cambridge flyover single line junction facing Bedford! ( which i am fairly certain are names that are never used!)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Thanks again
There is nothing new required at the WCML end, the junction is with the slows and won’t change, it’s how engineering trains reach the worksite. The double junction on the flyover has been repositioned and realigned to be straight towards Milton Keynes, that was needed to make room for the station.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Tuesday: A long train of side tippers hauled by top & tailed FL class 66's noted moving over the flyover from the Oxford direction and moving slowly through the high level station area. Track work must be going on away from the station area.

And also Fenny Stratford Bletchley flyover junction & Cambridge flyover single line junction facing Bedford! ( which i am fairly certain are names that are never used!)
Might have to start using the flyover single line junction in the train plan, but the Fenny Stratford one is too close to the station to be much use in a timetable.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The new crossover at the Winslow end is Bletchley West Jn…
Do you have a location (chainage?) for that please? Published information on the track details on the main length between Bletchley and Bicester seems somewhat lacking…

The Planner

Veteran Member
Do you have a location (chainage?) for that please? Published information on the track details on the main length between Bletchley and Bicester seems somewhat lacking…
No chainage on the signalling plan, it is around the 0m 12-13 chain mark at a guess from where the OXD changes to the BFO. Talk of putting another crossover in so trains from Bicester could terminate in P8 too, no idea how far that has got.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
No chainage on the signalling plan, it is around the 0m 12-13 chain mark at a guess from where the OXD changes to the BFO. Talk of putting another crossover in so trains from Bicester could terminate in P8 too, no idea how far that has got.
Thanks. I suppose when re-building a line in this manner they’d possibly lay it as plain line first and do the crossovers later?