• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It looks like the Grimshaw Architects house style, which has looked like that at least as far back as Camden Town Sainsbury's in the 1980s. So they're unlikely to change it now.
View attachment 112492

(Street view picture of that Sainsbury's)

Hideous. To be fair it's set on top of a concrete wall which is equally hideous, with a hideous cladded tower block and ugly done-on-the-cheap bus station opposite (who says the South gets all the money? It might do for rail, but not bus), but that someone is paid good money to design such monstrous buildings does rile a little.

Stick some terracotta tile cladding on it and it'd look nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good lord, that is ugly. Have they not learned from the monstrosity that is Newport?
It is a steel framed structure with a bit of cladding - keeps the weight and the costs down. it is essentially a large waiting shelter. Anyway I wont be able to see the outside of it while waiting for a train and it hardly damages the fine dreaming spires skyline of Beltcho! ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I hope that, once it is completed, it looks a bit better. The "artist's impression" in Modern Railways here looks almost Art Deco. Or is that the triumph of hope over experience...?
yeah - it aint gonna look like that! There doesn't seem to be any framing in place for a glass front in the pictures above. They show the same side of the station as per the renders in Modern Railways.

EDIT THURSDAY:Cambridge sidings have been cleared of weeds/trees and some kind of machinery is working away in there. Also new track and sleepers laid on the flyover leg facing Bedford.

Last edited:

Trainee9

Apparently the Cambridge Sidings are north of Bletchley, near Saxon Street and the two overbridges.
There is a recent (April 2022) drone video on Youtube that shows this area, with rusty track and burnt out rolling stock. And another 10 days old showing the high level station area and confirming the existence of new twin-track across the viaduct.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Apparently the Cambridge Sidings are north of Bletchley, near Saxon Street and the two overbridges.
There is a recent (April 2022) drone video on Youtube that shows this area, with rusty track and burnt out rolling stock. And another 10 days old showing the high level station area and confirming the existence of new twin-track across the viaduct.
I dont need a drone to tell me what the sidings are like. ;)

Most have been oou for years and there are 2 guv style vehicles and 1 drop sided wagon dumped at the far end

One of the roads has been in use within the last few years as i have seen engineering trains and the stone train stabled there. Suspect the later due to some out of normal issue

Those dumped vehicles and the HAA on the other side of the line have been there at least a decade and i suspect at least 2 decades!

Work has started to clesr the sidings to allow them to be used for E-W stabling

Trainee9

Where's the track? I visited the Whaddon Road overbridge today. Still no track visible looking eastward from this point, toward West Bletchley. However with binoculars I could see what appeared to be the end of the acoustic trackside fencing erected along the trackside between railway and housing.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Where's the track? I visited the Whaddon Road overbridge today. Still no track visible looking eastward from this point, toward West Bletchley. However with binoculars I could see what appeared to be the end of the acoustic trackside fencing erected along the trackside between railway and housing.
The photos on twitter linked to upthread appear to be somewhere between the Bletchley Road/Newton Road and Selbourne Avenue bridges.

Trainee9

Two ballast trains sighted on the viaduct at Bletchley high level station this morning. One parked and the other passing it heading south.

alexx

Bicester update: looks like the new Charbridge Lane bridge will be finished by mid-May. Just had a leaflet through the door that says there'll be two way traffic lights between 19th and 26th April to install the vehicle restraint system, and the a full closure between 9th and 16th May to install road studs and complete the road tie in on the north.

ShadowKnight

I understand ewr will not yet be electrified but have passive provision for electrification? As looking at that video that bridge doesn't look to be able to fit wires under there in the future

snowball

Established Member
I understand ewr will not yet be electrified but have passive provision for electrification? As looking at that video that bridge doesn't look to be able to fit wires under there in the future
The current works do not include bridge rebuilding where the need for it arises only from the possibility of future electrification. (I think that would count as active provision, not passive.)

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As @snowball mentioned there’s no general provision for wiring. The over rail bridges that are already clear for double track at line speed and gauge aren’t being replaced. But although Furze Lane bridge OXD20, west of the station site will definitely not allow wires, I think the Buckingham Road bridge OXD18 may be clear for wiring “as is”, the current state shown in the planning drawings shows 6.9m height above the outer rail of the single track which was on the up side. As they are also extending the existing parapets here to the height required for wires, that may be another indication it’s already clear. I’ll attach a part of the intended as built drawing, it’s at 1:100 scale.

Attachments

• 993785BF-29B2-4D2C-83ED-0C4CE2AECA79.jpeg
    993785BF-29B2-4D2C-83ED-0C4CE2AECA79.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 104

Trainee9

Progress of track work: Bletchley: Looking eastward from the overbridge near compound B5 on the road to Newton Longueville, I can see no track, but some works are evident since my last visit. Fresh ballast extends all the way to the bridge, and on the north track a black undersheet, temporarily weighed down, extends all the way to Bletchley and also onwards for a few yards on the west side of the bridge.

Attachments

• 101_1256.JPG
    101_1256.JPG
    535.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 101_1257.JPG
    101_1257.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 101_1258.JPG
    101_1258.JPG
    704.8 KB · Views: 236

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Progress of track work: Bletchley: Looking eastward from the overbridge near compound B5 on the road to Newton Longueville, I can see no track, but some works are evident since my last visit. Fresh ballast extends all the way to the bridge, and on the north track a black undersheet, temporarily weighed down, extends all the way to Bletchley and also onwards for a few yards on the west side of the bridge.
Interesting that this is an existing bridge where they have chosen to use two separate arches for the up and down lines. Does anyone know if that’s how it was used before?

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
I think the black sheeting is probably a geotextile, designed to allow water to pass through it, but prevent fines from the subgrade material doing so. It helps keeps the ballast clean, by preventing mixing of the bottom of the ballast with the top of the subgrade.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Interesting that this is an existing bridge where they have chosen to use two separate arches for the up and down lines. Does anyone know if that’s how was used before?
According to the 1952 OS map, there were three tracks under the bridge, one being a siding to the North of the mainline, which opened out into a number of parallel sidings where the B5 compound is now.

1651412758634.png
(Mapping from https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=...2&b=1&z=0&point=51.97579,-0.79070&i=101449354)

EDIT: The sidings weren't there in 1926. Would they have been over-spill carriage sidings for Bletchley? My guess is they inserted an additional arch into the original bridge when the sidings were built; and EWR will be using that now to allow better clearances for future OHLE.

Last edited:

fishwomp

A pair of progress photos at Calvert today - from the Gawcott Road bridge (immediately west of the HS2 underbridge).

First is looking East to where HS2 will pass underneath EWR. Evidently they need to build up the ground now - as we're looking at the sides of the EWR/HS2 bridge walls dead ahead there.

20220502_124513.jpg

and looking East, from same overbridge. This shows the new road underbridge being constructed, Gawcott Road (currently an overbridge) will be moved to use this.

20220502_124455.jpg

Kingham West

Excellent Pictures - Thank you
This picture gives an arial view ( 2 weeks ago), I did not appreciate the road under bridge , I see work has not started on the 2nd rail under bridge , to the IMD.
Lots to do , but very impressive .

Attachments

• 700E82D7-F487-4B8E-881B-D275235A5980.jpeg
    700E82D7-F487-4B8E-881B-D275235A5980.jpeg
    813.6 KB · Views: 204

Trainee9

EDIT: The sidings weren't there in 1926. Would they have been over-spill carriage sidings for Bletchley? My guess is they inserted an additional arch into the original bridge when the sidings were built; and EWR will be using that now to allow better clearances for future OHLE.
There has been some prior discussion about the function, location and name of these sidings in this thread. I don't want to paraphrase lest I get it wrong. :)