• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainee9

Today I visited the Whaddon Rd to Newton Longville overbridge (1 completed track visible), the Swans way overbridge on the Whaddon-Mursley road (rails and underlay visible), and the overbridge on the Mursley-Little Horwood road (some underlay visible to east). No obvious changes since two weeks ago.
1336= 2nd bridge, E. 1337 = 2nd bridge,W, 1338= 3rd bridge, E, 1339= 3rd bridge, W.
In between these bridges I could see with binoculars what looked like two more overbridges. With the aid of EWR's latest report I have figured out where these are (Salden and another) but not how to get to them.

Attachments

• 101_1336.JPG
    101_1336.JPG
    828.2 KB · Views: 242
  • 101_1337.JPG
    101_1337.JPG
    749.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 101_1338.JPG
    101_1338.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 101_1339.JPG
    101_1339.JPG
    753.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Neen Sollars

New video from Chris Woodfield. Great progress at Winslow. Looks as if the station building site foundations are being prepared. Platforms more or less complete.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Yup cracking should be able to get it open for Dec 23 TT
Haha - using whose stock ? Did those six 196s move back to Tyseley ?
I know there build and maintenance of the railway was / is undertaken by EWR contracts rather than Network Rail, but is EWR regarded as a separate TOC when it becomes a commercial operation ?

Elecman

Established Member
Haha - using whose stock ? Did those six 196s move back to Tyseley ?
I know there build and maintenance of the railway was / is undertaken by EWR contracts rather than Network Rail, but is EWR regarded as a separate TOC when it becomes a commercial operation ?
Network Rail is one of the EWR Alliance

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Network Rail is one of the EWR Alliance
Thanks "elecman". I just wondered who will own the concession to operate the services. I am guessing GBR will be largely up and running by then, but as in Abellio operating GA I wondered who the candidates might be for whatever EWR is going to be branded.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks "elecman". I just wondered who will own the concession to operate the services. I am guessing GBR will be largely up and running by then, but as in Abellio operating GA I wondered who the candidates might be for whatever EWR is going to be branded.
The DfT were pushing the idea of a new mini-TOC a couple of years ago. Logically I think since they got rid of the idea of through running from the Chiltern route it would be daft if it didn’t go with LNWR.

But this is probably off topic, this thread is supposed to be limited to construction issues…

Dr A.Johnston

Another update from out good friend Phil Marsh on his twitter site - @Marshrail

A visit 2 days ago to the interchange area at Calvert. GCR platforms now mostly removed. Much integrated progress to be seen.

FUV6IwuXsAEV5rd

FUV6IxcWQAAvzOs

FUV6Ix-XEAADLSD

FUV6IyaWYAASwam

Much integrated progress to be seen where HS2 will run under EWR.

FUV60ohWAAErz2Z

FUV60pJWUAEa3CX

FUV60qDWIAAHlmo

FUV60qzX0AEOPQA

Well done Phil, Thanks as always

A short video from NWP Exploring on You tube

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought I’d try and identify the EWR features in some of the above photos, that’s photos 5-8 in post #582.

5. Foreground is the new Charndon Lodge road underbridge, taking Gawcott Rd under EWR. Replaces the existing road bridge that the photographer must be standing on. Then in the far background the brick arch is the refurbished Charndon Main Street bridge OXD/29.

6. I think the foreground long concrete structure here, (with the blue colour), will likely be a culvert under EWR and the HS2 sidings. In the middle distance the existing brick arch bridge is Addison Road bridge, OXD/27. I understand that this gets replaced just to the east of the existing alignment, but as HS2 are yet to demolish it, any work on it’s replacement structure will probably be hidden behind it at this stage. In the far distance near the tree line the sloping white concrete bridge is EWR’s new Queen Catherine Rd bridge, OXD/26B. It carries a new road of that name which allows the existing level crossing just beyond to be permanently closed.

7. This is a zoomed in shot of Charndon Main Street, bridge OXD/29, also shown in photo 5.

8. The new bridge where EWR crosses over HS2.

Last edited:

fishwomp

I thought I’d try and identify the EWR features in some of the above photos, that’s photos 5-8 in post #582.

5. Foreground is the new Charndon Lodge road underbridge, taking Gawcott Rd under EWR. Replaces the existing road bridge that the photographer must be standing on. Then in the far background the brick arch is the refurbished Charndon Main Street bridge OXD/29.

6. I think the foreground long concrete structure here, (with the blue colour), will likely be a culvert under both EWR and the HS2 sidings. In the middle distance the existing brick arch bridge is Addison Road bridge, OXD/27. I understand that this gets replaced just to the east of the existing alignment, but as HS2 are yet to demolish it, any work on it’s replacement structure will probably be hidden behind it at this stage. In the far distance near the tree line the sloping white concrete bridge is EWR’s new Queen Catherine Rd bridge, OXD/26B. It carries a new road of that name which allows the existing level crossing just beyond to be permanently closed.

7. This is a zoomed in shot of Charndon Main Street, bridge OXD/29, also photo 5.

8. The new bridge where EWR crosses over HS2. I assume photo 6 must have been taken looking over it?

I posted similar photos a month or so back - not much seems to have changed. Photo 5 is the road underbridge, correct.
Photo 6 - is taken from the next bridge west of photo 5 - that would be a culvert only under EWR.
Photo 7 - is taken from the bridge in photo 5 (east of the underbridge being constructed in 5)
Photo 8 - correct. Photo 6 is not the vantage point, is taken from the current Gawcott Road overbridge.

In the very distance of 8 you can see the white concrete new Steeple Claydon overbridge - and also the same in photo 6 with what must be with a very strong zoom, notice how the two cranes appear almost side by side in 6, but some distance apart in 8..

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I posted similar photos a month or so back - not much seems to have changed. Photo 5 is the road underbridge, correct.
Photo 6 - is taken from the next bridge west of photo 5 - that would be a culvert only under EWR.
Photo 7 - is taken from the bridge in photo 5 (east of the underbridge being constructed in 5)
Photo 8 - correct. Photo 6 is not the vantage point, is taken from the current Gawcott Road overbridge.

In the very distance of 8 you can see the white concrete new Steeple Claydon overbridge - and also the same in photo 6 with what must be with a very strong zoom, notice how the two cranes appear almost side by side in 6, but some distance apart in 8..
Thanks for the clarification, I think I’ve got it now. :oops: Checking the plant and equipment present 5&6 are now obviously the same area taken from opposite directions. What you’re calling the new Steeple Claydon overbridge is St Catherine’s Road bridge on the TWA drawings.

fishwomp

Thanks for the clarification, I think I’ve got it now. :oops: Checking the plant and equipment present 5&6 are now obviously the same area taken from opposite directions. What you’re calling the new Steeple Claydon overbridge is St Catherine’s Road bridge on the TWA drawings.
Yes that's right - replacing what was a level crossing at the site of the old station there.

Dr A.Johnston

A current video from 'The Boy' covering Aerial footage where East-West Rail (EWR) meets High Speed 2 (HS2) at Calvert in Buckinghamshire. This upload just a couple of days ago to YouTube.

fishwomp

A current video from 'The Boy' covering Aerial footage where East-West Rail (EWR) meets High Speed 2 (HS2) at Calvert in Buckinghamshire. This upload just a couple of days ago to YouTube.

Thanks for posting. Interesting to see.

I'd not expected the bridge from east of Calvert to Steeple Claydon to be demolished (visible pile of bricks in the first 10 mins). This section looks a lot further behind than the rest of the route. I know it's in the middle so that ought to be expected to some degree, but is it possible that HS2 (who have responsibility for some of this area - and I don't know how much of it) are following a different timetable.

It's sad to see the GCR tracks lifted for HS2 - I know it's inevitable and necessary, but I just fear them not being put back down if it were cancelled, or being cut out as an efficiency. I guess it also means Quainton Road is cut off at the moment from mainline.

HGS

Excellent video. In 2014 I took photos of the line from Bicester to Bletchley thinking that work would be starting fairly soon (how wrong I was) At Calvert close to where the Great Central crossed the Varsity line I came across what I assumed would have been a cattle creep under the GC. It was still in very good condition. I am amazed to see it has survived in the video at about 22mins 45 seconds. I guess for not much longer though.

Attachments

• Cattle creep.JPG
    Cattle creep.JPG
    611.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Cattle creep 2.JPG
    Cattle creep 2.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 95

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for posting. Interesting to see.

I'd not expected the bridge from east of Calvert to Steeple Claydon to be demolished (visible pile of bricks in the first 10 mins). This section looks a lot further behind than the rest of the route. I know it's in the middle so that ought to be expected to some degree, but is it possible that HS2 (who have responsibility for some of this area - and I don't know how much of it) are following a different timetable.
HS2 are responsible for all the works for quite a distance either side of the point where the lines actually cross. The EWR project’s TWA drawings have a significant gap in this area, because it has always been HS2’s responsibility - they have to hand over about 2.5 km of finished formation for EWR to lay their track on some time next year.

The demolished bridge that you note is on Addison Rd (EWR bridge OXD/27), I believe it had to be put within the HS2 scope because it also has to be significantly lengthened, (on the north side of the tracks), to pass over the HS2 sidings. The EWR formation is also being raised at that point as it is rising to cross above HS2 and the HS2 depot access curve. I’m not sure but I think there’s a new footbridge east of Addison Rd that is within HS2’s work area too.

The next road bridge to the west over Gawcott Rd (EWR bridge OXD/28) is also down to be demolished by HS2 but this one is replaced by a road underpass. I suspect they are leaving this until later to avoid cutting both north/south routes in the area.

There’s an HS2 drawing in post #317 that effectively shows the area that is HS2 responsibility, although it isn’t labelled explicitly: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...truction-progress.216561/page-11#post-5413406

Last edited:

Neen Sollars

Brilliant thank you. That was the one I was waiting for, explains a lot. At 5.50 you can see where the Aylesbury spur will be. At 20mins you can see an old trackbed used as a road. The old Aylesbury track bed is clearly defined. Little definition of the HS2 track bed around the Calvert waste re-cycling plant. Looks as if the two railways will be close. Would appreciate if the new plans for the future Calvert rail complex could be re-posted, and the HS2 depot plans so as to get a perspective having reference to this excellent aerial footage.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Brilliant thank you. That was the one I was waiting for, explains a lot. At 5.50 you can see where the Aylesbury spur will be. At 20mins you can see an old trackbed used as a road. The old Aylesbury track bed is clearly defined. Little definition of the HS2 track bed around the Calvert waste re-cycling plant. Looks as if the two railways will be close. Would appreciate if the new plans for the future Calvert rail complex could be re-posted, and the HS2 depot plans so as to get a perspective having reference to this excellent aerial footage.
Close isn't the word, they will be a handful of metres away from each other from Calvert to Quainton. The new Calvert facilty at Greatmoor opposite the recycling plant is effectively a loop with a set of sidings off it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Calvert waste terminal plans are linked from post #337
And theres a pdf with details of the infrastructure depot linked from post #323

Last edited:

Sonik

Having listed the above four phases it then seemingly confuses the issue by quoting the EWR Alliance Deputy Director as saying "we have an aggressive track programme in five phases, with the last track to be laid in the HS2 box in 2023."

Is there a published date by which HS2 Ltd are supposed to hand back the EWR alignment ready for tracklaying?
HS2 are intending to use Calvert as a railhead for Phase 1 track laying.

Since the track slabs are coming from Somerset, and the rails will be from Scunthorpe, i'd say it's probably in HS2's own interest to get a shift on. And perhaps explains why the rest of EWR is going like gangbusters.

The Planner

Veteran Member
HS2 are intending to use Calvert as a railhead for Phase 1 track laying.

Since the track slabs are coming from Somerset, and the rails will be from Scunthorpe, i'd say it's probably in HS2's own interest to get a shift on. And perhaps explains why the rest of EWR is going like gangbusters.
E-W will have been open for a while before you see any HS2 track or slab trains.

Dr A.Johnston

From post #591

At my original posting on the link below, i included a powerpoint of a presentaion by HS2 which showed the area plan in basic detail. Hope this link below works.

original posting (#323)

fishwomp

It's sad to see the GCR tracks lifted for HS2 - I know it's inevitable and necessary, but I just fear them not being put back down if it were cancelled, or being cut out as an efficiency. I guess it also means Quainton Road is cut off at the moment from mainline.
Replying to myself.. have just read the Modern Railways article on Calvert in June edition.
1. Currently Quainton Road is still connected to Aylesbury.
2. All tracks north of Quainton Road are lifted.
3. The signal box (cabin?) at Claydon is still operational by appointment (eg. for Quainton Road specials)
4. HS2 is responsible for earthworks in preparation for restoring track to Claydon Jct.
5. Network Rail is committed to returning track as far as the landfill - ~1.5 miles south of EWR.
6. Restoring track from the landfill to EWR is not guaranteed - final decisions and network change still to be agreed...

BanburyBlue

We went under EWR at Newton Longville this afternoon, which got me thinking. What intermediate stations, if any, will there be between Bicester and Bletchley?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Replying to myself.. have just read the Modern Railways article on Calvert in June edition.
1. Currently Quainton Road is still connected to Aylesbury.
2. All tracks north of Quainton Road are lifted.
3. The signal box (cabin?) at Claydon is still operational by appointment (eg. for Quainton Road specials)
4. HS2 is responsible for earthworks in preparation for restoring track to Claydon Jct.
5. Network Rail is committed to returning track as far as the landfill - ~1.5 miles south of EWR.
6. Restoring track from the landfill to EWR is not guaranteed - final decisions and network change still to be agreed...
Box, if you can call it that, moved down from Claydon to Blackgrove Road ages ago and I think is under consultation to close entirely to be just a train staff operation from AVP.