• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

Neen Sollars

Looks to be good progress by HS2 at the Calvert EWR intersection. HS2 plant and machinery can use the HS2 track bed under the EWR bridge? Please avoid any bridge strikes. Re PMs photos, will the Aylesbury line run on top of that embankment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainee9

I visited some of the EWR locations yesterday. From the Chardon Lane overbridge (OXD29) one can see trackwork approaching from the west, and to the east the trackbed rises in the distance toward some works.
To the north of here an up & over brick roadbridge crosses a disused trackbed which is clearly the old Great Central Line trackbed. The bridge has recently been closed and bypassed at ground level. (Why?) The HS2 route clearly passes near here but I could not figure out exactly where.
At Winslow there are now two sets of rails through the station. The second set had no visible sleepers - work in progress?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I visited some of the EWR locations yesterday. From the Chardon Lane overbridge (OXD29) one can see trackwork approaching from the west, and to the east the trackbed rises in the distance toward some works.
To the north of here an up & over brick roadbridge crosses a disused trackbed which is clearly the old Great Central Line trackbed. The bridge has recently been closed and bypassed at ground level. (Why?) The HS2 route clearly passes near here but I could not figure out exactly where.
At Winslow there are now two sets of rails through the station. The second set had no visible sleepers - work in progress?

The relevant HS2 plan is at (large file!): https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/378333/C222-ATK-CV-DPP-020-000009.pdf

This shows that just north of the EWR crossing, HS2 is a bit east of the former GC trackbed with two road overbridges. Not sure which one you are referring to, but I imagine the disused bridge over the GC has been demolished because it is in the way of the approaches to a new bridge over HS2.

From various pictures I believe the tracklaying method chosen for EWR is to drag the rails into position first, at wider than the eventual gauge. Special machines then run along these rails to place the sleepers between them, then slew and clip the rails.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
From various pictures I believe the tracklaying method chosen for EWR is to drag the rails into position first, at wider than the eventual gauge. Special machines then run along these rails to place the sleepers between them, then slew and clip the rails.
The front of the Balfour Beatty new track construction machine actually runs on a small pair of caterpillar tracks, I think it can automatically follow the painted centre line on the ballast, it’s only the back of the machine runs on the rails that have been newly installed on the sleepers. So although the front of the machine has arms handling the rails into a certain width, it’s not actually running on the rails at that point.

So within the length of the machine the rails change from a position a bit wider than the sleeper ends, to the installed and fully clipped standard gauge. There’s a good video earlier in the thread:

Last edited:

stuving

The front of the Balfour Beatty new track construction machine actually runs on a small pair of caterpillar tracks, I think it can automatically follow the painted centre line on the ballast, it’s only the back of the machine runs on the rails that have been newly installed on the sleepers. So although the front of the machine has arms handling the rails into a certain width, it’s not actually running on the rails at that point.

So within the length of the machine the rails change from a position a bit wider than the sleeper ends, to the installed and fully clipped standard gauge.
Balfour Beatty's two NTC machines were supplied by Harsco, and this is their brochure describing it. I think BB's two are modified a bit from this one, but it explains the principles.

Mark24

If you have access to Apple Maps, the satellite photo has recently been updated. The HS2 route is now much clearer, particularly around Calvert where it crosses the East-West railway.

Trainee9

Pictures of locations mentioned in #1022:
471= bypassed bridge, 474: HS2 construction/route area?, 477= view west from OXD29, 486= view of Winslow station.
I also noted that the old station house and the two modern houses by the bridge at Calvert have now been demolished.

IMG_0471s.jpgIMG_0474s.jpgIMG_0477s.jpgIMG_0486s.jpg

Trainee9

I had a drive round some of the EWR works on 2 Apr. At Winslow Station there seems no change since 20 March. At Furze Lane a whole new housing estate has sprung up on the edge of Winslow near the bridge since the EWR project began.
At Verney Junction I had a view of the trackbed from the new bridleway overbridge. No sign of any track yet, but the hamlet of Verney Junction is now separated from the railway by a continuous high fence. (#1523)
At Claydon I stopped at a new overbridge (OXD 26B) which has a mysterious platform beside it. (1531)
Near the HS2 works I stood on the to-be-demolished bridge with a view of the new EWR bridge on one side (#1535) and the EWR bridge over the HS2 trackbed on the other. (#1533) A lot of embanking needs to be done before any EWR track is laid across here.

Attachments

• 101_1523.JPG
    101_1523.JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 101_1531.JPG
    101_1531.JPG
    694.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 101_1533.JPG
    101_1533.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 101_1535.JPG
    101_1535.JPG
    566.5 KB · Views: 223

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the area in the 2nd photo above will become a permanent maintenance compound for the line, possibly including a road rail access point. I also expect the final ballast level will be much higher.

I remember one of the many videos of the project showed another permanent looking trackside compound of a similar size.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Looking at the latest pictures of Winslow station posted on Twitter

it strikes me that the station building is totally over the top for a town with a population of around 5,000.
Perhaps, but in the lifetime of the station building the town is expected to grow to rather a lot more than 5,000 people. It's also presumably expected to take a reasonable amount of Buckingham and Aylesbury railheading.

mwmbwls

Does the following paragraph mean that the voluble local concerns about freight trains through the night are not justified?

5.11.6. No positive or neutral passive provision of infrastructure (e.g. passing loops) shall be made for additional freight capacity beyond those required for existing freight services (those within Sections 5.3 and 5.4) and planned robust passenger operation, maintenance and stabling.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Does the following paragraph mean that the voluble local concerns about freight trains through the night are not justified?
They were never justified. Having said that, although the only freight included on EWR is 1tp2h Oxford-Bletchley and the railway must be available for maintenance between 0100 and 0600 every night, if a FOC bid for a path overnight and there were no possessions booked then NR would more than likely offer it, so it's not impossible.
However there wouldn't be a great deal of freight looking to use it, especially the Cambridge-MK section.

The Planner

Veteran Member
They were never justified. Having said that, although the only freight included on EWR is 1tp2h Oxford-Bletchley and the railway must be available for maintenance between 0100 and 0600 every night, if a FOC bid for a path overnight and there were no possessions booked then NR would more than likely offer it, so it's not impossible.
However there wouldn't be a great deal of freight looking to use it, especially the Cambridge-MK section.
There will be plenty looking to use the Oxford Bletchley section, especially at it gives the opportunity to actually close Oxford Leamington overnight which you only get Saturday nights currently. Id imagine Northampton Gateway and DIRFT getting some traffic that way.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
and the railway must be available for maintenance between 0100 and 0600 every night,
This feels excessive? How much of the existing network has this stipulated? Has it maybe been specified as a sop to local residents concerned that heavy freight trains could be thundering past their homes through the night?

The Planner

Veteran Member
This feels excessive? How much of the existing network has this stipulated? Has it maybe been specified as a sop to local residents concerned that heavy freight trains could be thundering past their homes through the night?
It won't be every night, it will be cyclical section 5 blocks.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Being available for maintenance is not the same as closing completely. And, tbh, given it's primarily a commuter railway,
There will be plenty looking to use the Oxford Bletchley section, especially at it gives the opportunity to actually close Oxford Leamington overnight which you only get Saturday nights currently. Id imagine Northampton Gateway and DIRFT getting some traffic that way.
Oxford-Bletchley yes (and personally I'm not sure why it's 0.5 freight/hr rather than 1 given the rest of the timetable is an hourly pattern but there you go), although how much switches WTT and how much only uses it to divert will be interesting to see.
Northampton Gateway and DIRFT are obvious beneficiaries, but also Hams Hall, Lawley Street and Trafford park as they can turn right at Oxford and avoid the Kenilworth single, Coventry and flat junctions at Nuneaton.

BrianW

Established Member
Being available for maintenance is not the same as closing completely. And, tbh, given it's primarily a commuter railway,

Oxford-Bletchley yes (and personally I'm not sure why it's 0.5 freight/hr rather than 1 given the rest of the timetable is an hourly pattern but there you go), although how much switches WTT and how much only uses it to divert will be interesting to see.
Northampton Gateway and DIRFT are obvious beneficiaries, but also Hams Hall, Lawley Street and Trafford park as they can turn right at Oxford and avoid the Kenilworth single, Coventry and flat junctions at Nuneaton.
How loud are current freight trains? I'm imagining many folk are 'picturing' the sound of trains of scores of coal wagons clunk- clunk- clunking through the night. Maybe even the sound of marshallings of numerous trains, maybe train couplings tightening, clanking ...
I'm recalling picnicing at Didcot Railway centre and a train (ok a passenger train) just gliding by on the Avoiding Line without disturbing us at all!
Perhaps folk would prefer overlooking a line bounded by permanent continuous high fences (like the M25) rather than an occasional 'train in the country side'.
And that's without the 'environmental benefit' of less traffic on the toads roads :s

Nottingham59

Established Member
5.11.6. No positive or neutral passive provision of infrastructure (e.g. passing loops) shall be made for additional freight capacity beyond those required for existing freight services (those within Sections 5.3 and 5.4) and planned robust passenger operation, maintenance and stabling.
That is rather offset by:
4.2. The Railway shall be designed and constructed to be capable of maintaining current capacity for rail freight and where value for money and affordable make appropriate provision for anticipated future growth.
Of course, passing loops are only of value when there is a mix of passenger and freight trains using the line at the same time. So the absence of loops makes it more likely that any demand for freight will be met by running late at night.

As I see it, either EWR rail either provides a much-needed link in the rail network between the west and the east sides of the country, or it doesn't. If it does, then over time there will be calls for freight to use that capacity, especially as there will be growing pressure for freight trains to avoid the centres of Birmingham and London. And if it doesn't? The EWR really shouldn't be built at all.

fishwomp

Of course, passing loops are only of value when there is a mix of passenger and freight trains using the line at the same time. So the absence of loops makes it more likely that any demand for freight will be met by running late at night.
A freightliner doing 75mph won't be holding much up, perhaps slower entering the line at either end but the passenger services will be stopping at Oxf Parkway and Bletchley high-level, so it may be near identical at the ends, and in the middle, the passengers stopping at Bicester and Winslow.

12LDA28C

Established Member
How loud are current freight trains? I'm imagining many folk are 'picturing' the sound of trains of scores of coal wagons clunk- clunk- clunking through the night. Maybe even the sound of marshallings of numerous trains, maybe train couplings tightening, clanking ...
I'm recalling picnicing at Didcot Railway centre and a train (ok a passenger train) just gliding by on the Avoiding Line without disturbing us at all!
Perhaps folk would prefer overlooking a line bounded by permanent continuous high fences (like the M25) rather than an occasional 'train in the country side'.
And that's without the 'environmental benefit' of less traffic on the toads roads :s

The Western section of EWR (Bicester - Oxford) features sound barrier fencing along the line through residential areas so I assume the same will be installed further East if housing is in close proximity to the line.

hwl

Established Member
The Western section of EWR (Bicester - Oxford) features sound barrier fencing along the line through residential areas so I assume the same will be installed further East if housing is in close proximity to the line.
It has already been installed further east where housing is in close proximity to the line.

fishwomp

It has already been installed further east where housing is in close proximity to the line.
There were pictures here recently of Verney Junction station house with that - and fairly high fencing too. I'd be pretty disappointed to have high fencing installed blocking the view, think I'd have requested a viewing balcony instead..

hwl

Established Member

Probably related to getting paths south of Oxford & north of Bletchley. It effectively aligns with half of the extra freight capacity through Oxford with the current extra through platform P5 scheme.
Diverting existing (in addition to some new services) would see more than 1tp2h.

My understanding is that not a huge amount of effort went into EWR freight thinking once they realised the average passenger and intermodal speeds Oxford-Bletchley and v/v will be 65-70mph with sensible signal spacing so that it should work well by default.

Freight specific infrastructure and electrification were two areas where no spending was set out to keep EWR costs low and get things going.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Rather than the wagons, I want to say it depends on what’s hauling it, Freightliner’s 70s are particularly noisy in that respect!

The Planner

Veteran Member
Probably related to getting paths south of Oxford & north of Bletchley. It effectively aligns with half of the extra freight capacity through Oxford with the current extra through platform P5 scheme.

Diverting existing (in addition to some new services) would see more than 1tp2h.

My understanding is that not a huge amount of effort went into EWR freight thinking once they realised the average passenger and intermodal speeds Oxford-Bletchley and v/v will be 65-70mph with sensible signal spacing so that it should work well by default.

Freight specific infrastructure and electrification were two areas where no spending was set out to keep EWR costs low and get things going.
If there is a path every 2 hours then there is one hourly. I suspect its more to do with appeasing complaints. Clearly freight spending was binned as Newton Longville loop was removed from the scope.