• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EC Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKJimar53

Does anyone know how long it should take Network Rail to confirm if they are doing engineering works on these dates.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stevewhits

I can't understand it as they are selling expensive tickets so the trains must be running, so wht not release the cheap tickets?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Because the expensive tickets are not tied to specific trains they can be used on any train (depending on specific restrictions) so you don't need to know the exact timetable in order to be able to sell. Whereas with advance tickets being tied to specific trains you really need to know the timetable to be able to sell them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't understand it as they are selling expensive tickets so the trains must be running, so wht not release the cheap tickets?
There is no such thing as "expensive" or "cheap" tickets (except subjectively, as opinion!)

There are Anytime, Off Peak, and Advance. With variations (e.g. Super or Day!) and some promotional alternatives.

Some Advance tickets are cheap, some are expensive. None are on sale on those dates.

It is ALWAYS possible to buy Anytime/Off Peak tickets, for as far ahead as the booking systems will let you. But you won't get a reservation. Some Off Peak tickets are not "expensive" but I accept that to London on the East Coast route, they are!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are Anytime, Off Peak, and Advance. With variations (e.g. Super or Day!) and some promotional alternatives.

Some Advance tickets are cheap, some are expensive. None are on sale on those dates.

Ahh it's just so:

simple.jpg

Oh wait...

Stevewhits

looks like I'll have to keep my nerve and wait, I have a back up plan which doesn't use EC, Thetford to Nottingham then Nottingham to Barnetby (via lincoln), which I am now going to instead of hull, as then i can cycle over the Humber bridge to the ferry port.

londonbridge

Established Member
17th and 18th would appear to have gone on sale this morning,all the £12.15 fares for my outward leg were gone before I checked,got it for £24.75.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Strangely, the timetable for East Coast on 18th September has changed quite dramatically. Bookings opened quite late and then suddenly closed again for some services. Originally I had an AP to Hull for the 1830 from King's Cross (whilst some others I know had APs to York on this service). However, this service seems to have been completely removed from the database. Does anybody know what's happened? Presumably I'll be able to take an alternative service.

Strangely, the timetable for East Coast on 18th September has changed quite dramatically. Bookings opened quite late and then suddenly closed again for some services. Originally I had an AP to Hull for the 1830 from King's Cross (whilst some others I know had APs to York on this service). However, this service seems to have been completely removed from the database. Does anybody know what's happened? Presumably I'll be able to take an alternative service.

I have never known the Hull service to run when the Carlisle diversion is in place as it is on that day due to not enough HSTs, EC usually puts buses on from Doncaster. It has been known for APs to be sold before the draft timetable is in place, it shouldnt happen but i have had confused passengers ask me about trains that dont exist now and again on weekends down the years (rare but has happened). The guard always allowed them to travel in these situations.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have never known the Hull service to run when the Carlisle diversion is in place as it is on that day due to not enough HSTs, EC usually puts buses on from Doncaster. It has been known for APs to be sold before the draft timetable is in place, it shouldnt happen but i have had confused passengers ask me about trains that dont exist now and again on weekends down the years (rare but has happened). The guard always allowed them to travel in these situations.

Ah, of course - forgot about Carlisle (there really should be something on the engineering works page about this though?). It's a bit annoying because I was travelling with other people, but the York services are now timed to be non-stop to York. Do you think I'd be allowed to travel via York?

Ah, of course - forgot about Carlisle (there really should be something on the engineering works page about this though?). It's a bit annoying because I was travelling with other people, but the York services are now timed to be non-stop to York. Do you think I'd be allowed to travel via York?

I wouldnt like to say really, i suppose you could email EC given its still a while away, but i would check York to Hull services that day as there is also engineering work just south of York that weekend i believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.