• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EC onboard map

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
Technically, if the LDB info was hackable (in the clean sense of the word), then you could approximate locations.

For instance, if you know that a train is "on time", having left "Station A", "X" minutes ago and is now "Y" minutes from "Station B", which is "Z" miles from "Station A"...

...but GPS data is more accurate!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
I'm confused.

The feed for the map is coming from 1E21 at the moment, regardless of who looks at it.

So it is just going through Northallerton as I'm sat at home.

Am I missing something?

No, you are not missing anything, that is correct.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Technically, if the LDB info was hackable (in the clean sense of the word), then you could approximate locations.

For instance, if you know that a train is "on time", having left "Station A", "X" minutes ago and is now "Y" minutes from "Station B", which is "Z" miles from "Station A"...

...but GPS data is more accurate!

Someone has done that somewhere on the internet, I think. One of the kind of "They Work For You" site type people.

And it storms past Northallerton at 107mph :D

...and proceeds to stop at Thirsk... :?

dbrb2

There is a ldbws API, and I use it (with a license) on my other site (livetrains.co.uk)

However, without knowing for sure which services the train is going to be stopping at, it is hard to identify the service for sure.

andylloyd

It is only train specific if you are actually accessing the site from onboard a train (in which case the data relates to that train)

Otherwise, you will always see the feed from the train that EC have made available - there is currently no way to choose a particular service remotely.
Many thanks for clearing that up.
Was hoping to track an HST on the diverts ;)
Fab idea tho tracking it via google maps :)

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This is the live departure based map I was talking about: http://traintimes.org.uk/map/?ncl

Doesn't seem anywhere near as accurate :D

So despite having to slow to a crawl just outside Thirsk, our train is looking optimistic for York.

Darandio

Established Member
I wonder why he was checked north of Thirsk?

There was nothing scheduled to stop at Thirsk at that time so nothing should have been put on the main in front just south of the station. It also couldn't have been anything put onto the slows at Thirsk as there are no points on the up, anything wanting to call at Thirsk southbound needs to join the slows at Northallerton. Also, it seems unlikely a freight has been put in front as he pretty much went straight back up to 105-108mph, long before Tollerton where a freight could have been moved back on the slows.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Anyone fancy heading up to Kings Cross for 20:00 and nabbing the driver for an interview? :D

Can someone check whether this is an HST or a Mallard?

Darandio

Established Member
Waits for a resident pedant to point out that both HST and Mk4 sets are in Mallard configuration. Unless its the EMT in on hire of course.

I'm guessing Andy means its a 91/Mk4 though.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Meh, I live in the South. If I can get away with calling Stevenage "oop north", then I can get away with technicalities... :D

Right. I'm thinking that the GPS seems to be giving data for the south end of the train, which makes the relevant equipement in the DVT I think? It all makes sense. :D

Updated link to LDB as the old one has expired.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Do we think that it could get caught up at Newark behind whatever happened there earlier?

That random 2 minutes at Thirsk is looking difficult to get back. Now I see why they have all the padding.

I note that there is a reluctance for the train to exceed 107mph. I know that some GPS software works on nautical miles. Could the feed be using nautical miles? - 107 converts to 123mph

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They were installed for the wi-fi.

Yep, that links it all together very well.

Yet to see this train get above 109mph despite it being late. Where is its first opportunity likely to be? Storming across Slowing considerably before Newark now.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Oh, OK. The things noticed on this forum... :lol:

Looks like the broken down train at Newark earlier today may still be having repercussions.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So, miraculously the train recovered 5 minutes of delay during the last 3 minutes of its journey :roll:, and is now sitting at platform 5 KGX.

What is stranger is that you can tell that from looking at the interactive map :shock: :D. The GPS thingy is definitely at the London End.

It looks like it will now form the 1D32 2035 to Leeds, arriving at 2310.

And I fully agree with 47519, it looks like it measures the speed in knots. Maybe they should do something about that :D.

Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
When I said "they", I wasn't intending that as a reference to you, more as a reference to the people who provide the data. :D Although maybe they already do on their interface? Great addition if we've not all made a terrible mistake though.

I love the way the train is shifting slightly sideways around King's Cross. :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And off it goes to Leeds, as predicted.
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/ldbdetails/t#Wab6UmMnZK7IjyxrCbMQ==

Last edited:

networkrail1

about what people said earlier it is totally possible to see every EC train in the fleet but it would take a bit of time and more than one map.

All the best.

Simon

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Would you care to drop any hints on that? :)

Anyway, as our train ploughs past Huntingdon (doesn't that sound like something off Railwatch?! :lol:) it has been doing some 125 mph running, so everything is good.

andyfrommk

about what people said earlier it is totally possible to see every EC train in the fleet but it would take a bit of time and more than one map.

It would not take more than one map, you would just need to scroll around to see them all.

I think all EC trains have this GPS reporting on board but only one is reporting its position publically.

It would not take much time or bandwidth all it sends every two seconds is a string like this:

( {"time":"1316982090.0", "latitude":"52.5135", "longitude":"-0.2404", "altitude":"21.3", "speed":"86.9", "cmg":"357.5", "satellites":"10" });

networkrail1

Right. I'm thinking that the GPS seems to be giving data for the south end of the train, which makes the relevant equipement in the DVT I think? It all makes sense. :D

Just looking at the train in Newark and it is sending data at least 2 coaches forward of the DVT.

Before anyone says anything, yes i know gps isn't accurate (well my iphone gps is ) and i know all the wifi is in the DVT.

All the best.

Simon

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I can sense some major research opportunities opening up here. :D

So, we've got to Leeds making up 8 minutes of time in a 13 minute period :roll: (yes, I have genuinely been watching it...), where now?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Good stuff. Just a case of waiting to see how long it takes them to get it out of the station again.

Looks like it went into one of the west bays?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If anyone sees it move before breakfast, let me know. I probably ought to stop watching it now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.