• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway News & Updates

Established Member
To start the thread off with some good news posted on the facebook page. If everything goes to plan the full railway will be open again from 10th June after a landslip near Duffield.
Duffield Landslip and Resumption of Services
In April, we received a report of a landslip in the cutting north of Duffield close to the footbridge DJW3. Over a period of days, the slip continued to move to the point that the line into Duffield had to be closed. The exact cause of the slip is still being investigated, but it is clear that large quantities of water had got into the clay of the cutting side which became soft and gave way.
The initial plan was to dig away the toe of the slip and install interlocking concrete “Lego” blocks to hold back the slope, these blocks weigh about one ton each. We are particularly grateful to Slinter Mining of Cromford who supplied blocks, to Whitehouse Construction who did the work on site, both at short notice and – particularly - to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association who have provided the finance. However, the slip was so wet and unstable that it was not possible to restore the original foot of the cutting, and the blocks are holding back the clay have, temporarily, been reinforced by additional bags of stone which are too close to the rails for trains to run.
For the time being we are running all our advertised services, but trains are having to be top and tailed and stop short of Duffield a little to the North of DJW3 or terminated at Shottle.
For the past week, we have monitored the site to see if the cutting side has stabilised sufficiently. We are satisfied that this has happened and so, our plan is to reposition the reinforcing bags, thus allowing service to recommence in June. For servicers to operate, we will need to commence a structured monitoring regime for the cutting side, while a speed restriction will be in force through the works.
If the bank becomes unstable, it will be necessary to divert the tracks around the slip for about 120 yards over towards the Down side of the formation which, fortunately, is double track width at this point. This would involve a lot more work and expense; the existing track will have to be removed and the ground excavated to provide a new foundation and up side drainage on this length. There is no ballast on the downside which so far as we know has never carried track since the formation was built over 150 years ago. We would relay the rails on concrete sleepers after cutting back the joints to make a proper lasting job.
Longer term, more work will be required and as part of this, the diversion would be undertaken, albeit on a longer timescale. Clearly such work, combined with additional work to provide a definitive solution to the landslip will be expensive. We will be discussing these works with other interested parties, but you will appreciate that this is an aspect which we cannot discuss in public at present. There will be the need for some serious expenditure and an appeal fund will be opened through EVRA in the near future.
While the blockade has been in place, time has been taken to inspect the condition of the permanent way and the decision has been made to replace up to 150 sleepers between Shottle and Duffield. The plan is to change the majority of these before we reopen but others will be replaced during June. We have also faced another unpleasant problem that has been antisocial behaviour and vandalism at Duffield station. This has been reported to the Police and Eric Boultbee and his team have been making strenuous efforts to protect the site. Hopefully, the resumption of operations, combined with some new and subtle anti-trespass measures will solve the problem but it reinforces how running a heritage railway is like a game of ‘whack-a-mole’: as one problem disappears, another pops-up, usually where one least expects it.
So, what’s the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question – when will we reopen to Duffield? The answer, subject to all the usual caveats, is Saturday, 10th June. Naturally, we shall be watching the landslip like hawks, while the resleepering exercise will be essential but all being well, normal services will resume on the tenth.
Thank you for your continuing interest and support. There are times when things are happening but there is no apparent progress on the surface but please be assured that like the proverbial swan, there’s a lot of activity below the surface!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

That's good news.

Thought I've not actually visited since they stopped using DMUs on a regular basis.

Iskra

Established Member
That's great to hear. I've been meaning to re-visit, so will do over the summer sometime :)

railfan99

Established Member
That's great to hear. I've been meaning to re-visit, so will do over the summer sometime :)

From Australia, I travelled on this line in September 2022 after earlier on the same day visiting Crich Tramway Museum by taxi from Alfreton, as the scheduled bus didn't appear.

Scenically it was very average compared to some other heritage railways, a subjective judgment if ever there was one, but volunteers were exceptionally friendly, the cars in reasonable condition and the patronage fair.

The unusual working of the level crossing not far from Warkworth was interesting, with on-board staff opening and closing gates.

Connections to and from Network Rail lines were easy, though IIRC challenging for the less abled as there was only a footbridge with a high fence as the main line to branch rail passenger walking route.

As with Russel above, I'd have preferred a DMU to a diesel-hauled passenger train, but my main goal was to 'bash' the line as you say in UK, so very grateful I could achieve this.

Derby has reasonably priced hotels close to the station so it's easy to plan a visit to EVR that won't cost the earth.

I highly recommend visiting areas such as this as I never spend much time in London and find that 'the north of England' has an enormous amount to offer in railways, history and heritage, including great preserved railways (and the created Crich tramway).

Last edited:

Established Member
In just under 2 weeks is the Summer Diesel Gala featuring the 26, 31, 47, 73 and 121.

Thursday 10th to Saturday 12th sees a 70 min service between Wirksworth and Duffield with a 35 min shuttle up to Ravenstor. On Sunday this is about every 2 hours and hourly. Friday and Saturday also shows some freight services in the afternoon.

m79900

They recently took delivery of a GW 'Toad' brake van for the Ravenstor branch. Could they be planning to run trains on it on normal running days?

EDIT: I really look forward to seeing a demonstration goods train! :D

Last edited:

nferguso

They recently took delivery of a GW 'Toad' brake van for the Ravenstor branch. Could they be planning to run trains on it on normal running days?

Yes.

Latest Chairman's blog here:

Established Member

EDIT: I really look forward to seeing a demonstration goods train! :D
The brake van was going up and down the incline at lunchtime today with the class 14.

Unfortunately it looks like the goods trains have now been removed and replaced with passenger ones now.

nferguso

The brake van was going up and down the incline at lunchtime today with the class 14.

Unfortunately it looks like the goods trains have now been removed and replaced with passenger ones now.

That brakevan is a potential moneymaker. It's brake-fitted so can take passengers and it's a lovely vehicle with that giant veranda. Just at the moment, the priority is revenue and I hope people will get to enjoy its ambience.

Meanwhile, I have been blogging again about the realities of running heritage railways:

https://fromthe54thfloor.wordpress....r-is-vanity-profit-is-sanity-cash-is-reality/

m79900

I’ve read your article, and I’d just like to ask what the future of some of the DMUs is? Will they all be retained, or will some be sold off?

Iskra

Established Member
Great news that sales are doing well, especially in a fairly challenging economy.

D Williams

That brakevan is a potential moneymaker. It's brake-fitted so can take passengers and it's a lovely vehicle with that giant veranda. Just at the moment, the priority is revenue and I hope people will get to enjoy its ambience.

Meanwhile, I have been blogging again about the realities of running heritage railways:

https://fromthe54thfloor.wordpress....r-is-vanity-profit-is-sanity-cash-is-reality/

Too much stock. A theme common to many HRs , hence the flurry of disposals in recent months.

nferguso

I’ve read your article, and I’d just like to ask what the future of some of the DMUs is? Will they all be retained, or will some be sold off?

The catch is that most are not the railway's property, as is often the case at other lines. Therefore, each one requires negotiation.

Great news that sales are doing well, especially in a fairly challenging economy.

Thanks. It's encouraging but we're not being complacent and are watching the numbers on a daily basis.

Too much stock. A theme common to many HRs , hence the flurry of disposals in recent months.

Yes indeed.

Is applying for a National Lottery grant possible, and likely to have a fair chance of success for bridge repairs?

Highly unlikely. Grants are for new stuff or a restoration of an historic building. Repairs are unlikely to qualify.

m79900

I’ve been looking at some very old plans from the railway I found on the internet, and it said they we’re planning a station at Gorsey Bank! I know there are many much bigger priorities, and the objective of the line has changed since then, but that would be epic.

Established Member
This weekend sees the last run of the 26 on Sunday before it leaves.

Coming up for the rest of this week… We have steam trains running Friday and Saturday. Sunday features the last appearance of Class 26 007 before it leaves us. Grab your day rover and enjoy!

and @nferguso has been blogging again

Russel

I assume back to steam after the 26 leaves?

I used to visit regular when DMUs were the main traction, because it was different, but since the move to loco hauled MK1's, it has no appeal to me anymore, the EVR has become just another steam railway to me with very few distinct characteristics.

Established Member
I assume back to steam after the 26 leaves?

I used to visit regular when DMUs were the main traction, because it was different, but since the move to loco hauled MK1's, it has no appeal to me anymore, the EVR has become just another steam railway to me with very few distinct characteristics.
Still a couple of diesel days with the 31, 47 and 73 between now and the end of October.

Cymroglan

Likewise! I loved visiting in those days!
There is no hint of criticism implied in this question, but do we know why the EVR has moved away from dmus?

m79900

There is no hint of criticism implied in this question, but do we know why the EVR has moved away from dmus?
Apparently, it’s to cater for what people want, which is understandable, but in this they were always going to lose some customers. Hopefully, when the signalling is complete and they can do regular two train operation, they’ll get the DMUs out more.

Cymroglan

Apparently, it’s to cater for what people want, which is understandable, but in this they were always going to lose some customers. Hopefully, when the signalling is complete and they can do regular two train operation, they’ll get the DMUs out more.
Thanks for the info! I fully understand that DMU fandom is a bit niche!
I loved one author’s description of riding a DMU on the Crewe - Chester line as being like bouncing on a trampoline in a wind tunnel!

DDB

I think they tend to hire in a steam loco for the summer months as it gets the punters in but in the quieter periods they make more use of the DMUs.

Russel

It's a shame.

I enjoy visiting the Midland Railway in Ripley now, it's very DMU orientated and the large complex at Swanwick is well worth spending an hour or two wandering around.

Cymroglan

It's a shame.

I enjoy visiting the Midland Railway in Ripley now, it's very DMU orientated and the large complex at Swanwick is well worth spending an hour or two wandering around.
Ah, I didn’t know that, thanks. I’ll have to look in to planning a visit…..

Russel

Ah, I didn’t know that, thanks. I’ll have to look in to planning a visit…..

The running line it's self is fairly short, but there is plenty to see, it's usually operated by a class 108, 141 or 142.

The Golden Valley Light Railway that runs from Swanwick is also worth a ride while you're there.

Established Member
That is exactly it. Almost every weekend there is some sort of food service on the train which can fill up to 3 of the 5 coaches on the 1320 and sometimes the 1520 from Wirksworth.
1694983557472.jpeg
I think they tend to hire in a steam loco for the summer months as it gets the punters in but in the quieter periods they make more use of the DMUs.
No additional Steam Loco's have come this year. All the steam services have been in the hands of 80080. Over the peak summer Friday to Sunday was steam and Wednesday, Thursday was diesel with a mix of W55034 or loco doing the duties.

It is also worth noting that the only DMU at the moment is the bubble (and half possibly a lightweight).

Russel

That is exactly it. Almost every weekend there is some sort of food service on the train which can fill up to 3 of the 5 coaches on the 1320 and sometimes the 1520 from Wirksworth.
View attachment 143069

No additional Steam Loco's have come this year. All the steam services have been in the hands of 80080. Over the peak summer Friday to Sunday was steam and Wednesday, Thursday was diesel with a mix of W55034 or loco doing the duties.

It is also worth noting that the only DMU at the moment is the bubble (and half possibly a lightweight).

Has the 3 car 101 moved on then, or has it just been left in a siding with little to no maintenance for the last couple of years and now in no fit state to run?

What about the 108 / 119 combo that used to be used?

m79900

Has the 3 car 101 moved on then, or has it just been left in a siding with little to no maintenance for the last couple of years and now in no fit state to run?

What about the 108 / 119 combo that used to be used?
All just sat in the sidings.