• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway News & Updates

Iskra

Established Member
In reality, it's only going to appeal to a small number of enthusiasts, so is it really worth the effort?
Is any ranger/rover worth the effort? In Scotland they market them at tourists just fine.

Matlock is a major tourist town in a major tourist area, so I think it could do well. Both heritage lines would benefit from additional footfall, with increased additional spend opportunities from that and EMR inclusion would be great for marketing visibility over a wider area as well as promoting more people arriving by public transport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I called in today for a quick run behind 31601 and had an enjoyable day. Loadings were reasonable considering the persistent and heavy rain. The non-enthusiasts seemed happy with the locomotive and seemed equally happy with the coaches- the compartment stock seemed especially popular.
Glad you enjoyed your trip. You may he spotted yours's truly at Wirksworth or on the 1520 return in my big coat! The compartment vehicles was probably popular due to being the first ones you get to at Wirksworth and you are out the rain quicker.

Ralph Ayres

Good question. I think we have lost our mojo a bit with respect to mainline connections but there were mitigating factors. For our core service pattern (sounds pretentious, but keep with me), we reduced from four to three round trips and, in turn, extended both the journey time and the turnaround time at each end. The reduction in service was a no-messing prevention of running fresh air (last train of the day blues), while the extended running and turnaround times were a combination of a move to locomotive haulage (DMUs are so darned convenient!) time to take on water and, with an increasing move towards dining services, the desire to give diners a little more time. Add to that general post-pandemic changes to the Matlock Service (EMR were messed-around horribly with their vehicle allocations and were forced to change their timetables) and gradually our connections fell into the ‘fir where it touches’ pattern.

I want to see how we can change this. It is still technically possible to purchase a through ticket to Wirksworth but I can’t go charging up to the TOCs and demand they start promoting our tickets. It will be a slow job but it’s worth the effort.

Neil
For me, good connections at Duffield don't matter so much - and planned ones can easily go astray anyway - if there's something to help pass the time while waiting (watching the run-round, light refreshments/a shop/somewhere warm to wait and a welcoming face). What I don't want is to arrive at Duffield in the morning on the most suitable EMR train to find the EVR station barely open, or be dropped at Duffield at the end of the day and the EVR service goes back north, the station building is then closed up because the volunteer quite understandably wants to go home (I've been that volunteer elsewhere!) and there's still half an hour to wait for a main line train in a bleak bus shelter. A tricky one to resolve.

Pity about the reduction in use of DMUs. When I first visited some years back I'd rather assumed there was a deliberate decision to focus on something a bit different to make the EVR stand out from the crowd, and certainly for me it was part of the attraction. It seems the wider public don't find them as much of a novelty as I might think!

paul1609

Established Member
Good question. I think we have lost our mojo a bit with respect to mainline connections but there were mitigating factors. For our core service pattern (sounds pretentious, but keep with me), we reduced from four to three round trips and, in turn, extended both the journey time and the turnaround time at each end. The reduction in service was a no-messing prevention of running fresh air (last train of the day blues), while the extended running and turnaround times were a combination of a move to locomotive haulage (DMUs are so darned convenient!) time to take on water and, with an increasing move towards dining services, the desire to give diners a little more time. Add to that general post-pandemic changes to the Matlock Service (EMR were messed-around horribly with their vehicle allocations and were forced to change their timetables) and gradually our connections fell into the ‘fir where it touches’ pattern.

I want to see how we can change this. It is still technically possible to purchase a through ticket to Wirksworth but I can’t go charging up to the TOCs and demand they start promoting our tickets. It will be a slow job but it’s worth the effort.

Neil
Ive still not managed to visit the EVR but are you able to reveal the percentages of passengers which join your services at Wirksworth and Duffield? for comparison on the K & ESR its around 85% Tenterden, 5% Northiam and 10% Bodiam

Established Member
Ive still not managed to visit the EVR but are you able to reveal the percentages of passengers which join your services at Wirksworth and Duffield? for comparison on the K & ESR its around 85% Tenterden, 5% Northiam and 10% Bodiam
I don't know the exact numbers but the majority join at Wirksworth with a few from Duffield say on the first train returning on the last one giving almost 3 hours in Wirksworth. Normally Shottle and Idridgehay don't normally get anyone except on gala days.

Today though Duffield probably had 100% with everyone arriving into Wirkswirth on the Wizarding expresses.

aleandrail

For me, good connections at Duffield don't matter so much - and planned ones can easily go astray anyway - if there's something to help pass the time while waiting (watching the run-round, light refreshments/a shop/somewhere warm to wait and a welcoming face). What I don't want is to arrive at Duffield in the morning on the most suitable EMR train to find the EVR station barely open, or be dropped at Duffield at the end of the day and the EVR service goes back north, the station building is then closed up because the volunteer quite understandably wants to go home (I've been that volunteer elsewhere!) and there's still half an hour to wait for a main line train in a bleak bus shelter. A tricky one to resolve.

Pity about the reduction in use of DMUs. When I first visited some years back I'd rather assumed there was a deliberate decision to focus on something a bit different to make the EVR stand out from the crowd, and certainly for me it was part of the attraction. It seems the wider public don't find them as much of a novelty as I might think!
Nice Micro bar in Duffield five minutes walk away, depending what day you travel

Established Member
Class 2 78018 has arrived at Wirksworth this week and is currently down the bottom of the car park. The loco will take over 80080 from the 25th October and will feature at the 'Winter Steam in the valley' Gala on 31st December and 1st January.

STINT47

it looks like the railway is closed again south of Shotel following the recent heavy rain. Presumably the embankment at Duffield has gone again?

It's a great shame as it makes reaching the railway by public transport all but impossible unless your able to devote a lot more time and money to getting there.

I hope that the problems are resolved quickly and cheaply as if not I start to fear for the railways finances given how much this must be costing on lost revenue/increased spending.

paul1609

Established Member
it looks like the railway is closed again south of Shotel following the recent heavy rain. Presumably the embankment at Duffield has gone again?

It's a great shame as it makes reaching the railway by public transport all but impossible unless your able to devote a lot more time and money to getting there.

I hope that the problems are resolved quickly and cheaply as if not I start to fear for the railways finances given how much this must be costing on lost revenue/increased spending.
Doesn't Wirksworth have frequent bus services from Derby, Duffield Belpher and Matlock? All covered by the remarkably cheap Derbyshire fares and passes? I wouldn't describe that as "all but impossible" but best wishes to the EVR.

LowLevel

Established Member
Doesn't Wirksworth have frequent bus services from Derby, Duffield Belpher and Matlock? All covered by the remarkably cheap Derbyshire fares and passes? I wouldn't describe that as "all but impossible" but best wishes to the EVR.
The sixes bus is indeed a very easy and cheap ride into Wirksworth.

STINT47

It does but if you add the extra journey time it swings it to being to nuchal hasselt for me. Hopefully the full line will be open again soon enough in any case.

Established Member
Hopefully it does not last to long, although at least it is 3 weeks before the end of the season and not just before! At the moment the timetable shows running through to Duffield from Wednesday on the website.

paul1609

Established Member
It does but if you add the extra journey time it swings it to being to nuchal hasselt for me. Hopefully the full line will be open again soon enough in any case.
That may be for you, but a 1 hr 50 mins total journey time doesn't make it' Virtually impossible"
Ive done day trips from the Kent Coast to both the Wensleydale and Bo'ness Railways by public transport before.

Established Member
Now running Wirksworth to Shottle until further inspections of line near Duffield.
Saturday is showing to Duffield Holloway Road so looks like a diesel crew has been found to top and tail.

alexl92

Established Member
I have a question for discussion…
Being realistic, what would be the ideal steam traction for the EVR in the future?

By realistic, I mean locos that are actually preserved and could realiscally be loaned or acquired (hypothetically). For example, would an LMS 4F suit the length and gradient of the line well? There are a couple unrestored even if 43924 clearly wouldn’t ever be sold!

And by ideal, I mean that even if 6233 suddenly became homeless, she’s probably a bit OTT for the line’s needs.

My guess is probably an LMS 3F or something of that size?

Harvester

Established Member
I have a question for discussion…
Being realistic, what would be the ideal steam traction for the EVR in the future?

By realistic, I mean locos that are actually preserved and could realiscally be loaned or acquired (hypothetically). For example, would an LMS 4F suit the length and gradient of the line well? There are a couple unrestored even if 43924 clearly wouldn’t ever be sold!

And by ideal, I mean that even if 6233 suddenly became homeless, she’s probably a bit OTT for the line’s needs.

My guess is probably an LMS 3F or something of that size?
BR Standard 2MTs 78018 and 78019 have been on loan to the EVR, and proved very suitable. I travelled behind 78018 on a very wet day in July 2019 and the engine handled the train extremely well. Not sure if a LMS 4F would be suitable on the line, did BR ever use them there in steam days?

Established Member
BR Standard 2MTs 78018 and 78019 have been on loan to the EVR, and proved very suitable. I travelled behind 78018 on a very wet day in July 2019 and the engine handled the train extremely well. Not sure if a LMS 4F would be suitable on the line, did BR ever use them there in steam days?
Think it might depend on the load for how much it can handle. We had 6 coaches and the 14 on top and tail yesterday and it almost came to a stand after trying to accelerate out of a 5mph restriction in the wet.

The following two Saturdays (4th & 11th) is also planned to be top & tail to allow the service to continue past Shottle to Duffield Holloway Road.

alexl92

Established Member
Think it might depend on the load for how much it can handle. We had 6 coaches and the 14 on top and tail yesterday and it almost came to a stand after trying to accelerate out of a 5mph restriction in the wet.

The following two Saturdays (4th & 11th) is also planned to be top & tail to allow the service to continue past Shottle to Duffield Holloway Road.
A 4F would have a greater TE than a 2MT wouldn't it? Being a freight engine, probably better designed for slow and strong than the 2MT? Either way, I'm not here to purely advocate for the 4F - interested to know what else might be suitable.

Harvester

Established Member
A 4F would have a greater TE than a 2MT wouldn't it? Being a freight engine, probably better designed for slow and strong than the 2MT? Either way, I'm not here to purely advocate for the 4F - interested to know what else might be suitable.
A variety of BR steam power was used on the branch as far as Wirksworth exchange sidings until the mid-sixties, with quarry owned locos taking over from there. Class 8F, WD, Black 5, and the occasional 4F and 9F have been recorded on the stone and limestone traffic.

One preserved 0-6-0 loco that I think would be suitable working the Wirksworth branch today is J27 65894. The J27s were very successful working coal traffic in the northeast, from coastal ports up steep winding gradients into the Durham coalfields and back. The class was so well suited for this work that heavy repairs were authorised on some J27s at Darlington Works until well into 1963. This enabled some of these locos to last until the end of north east steam in September 1967. Since preservation 65894 has worked successfully on the NYMR.

alexl92

Established Member
This is an interesting debate but there's one factor that trumps all discussion. What is available?
This is absolutely the crucial thing! I was just curious in an semi-idealogical way!

Dave S 56F

4F wise there is only 44422 at churnet valley railway which needs new driving wheels it did used to run at the west somerset railway out of ticket since at least 2018 and 43924 out of ticket back in the beginning of 2021 at K.V.W.R
the other 2 4F,s 44027 at Vale of Berkley railway formerly of the midland railway centre still needs work on its boiler despite the chassis and wheelsets made good overhaul progress, And 44123 is a long term overhaul project at the Avon Valley railway possibly not ready to run until the late 2020,s. Hope that answers your question quite thoroughly.

More than likely Fowler 4F loco,s did work the ecclesbourne valley line in L.M.S. and B.R. days has they may have been needed to haul the heavy stone trains from the quarries in Wirksworth as the the 4F was the humble heavy freight loco of the midland railway and in L.M.S. days and B.R. days.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
More than likely Fowler 4F loco,s did work the ecclesbourne valley line in L.M.S. and B.R. days has they may have been needed to haul the heavy stone trains from the quarries in Wirksworth as the the 4F was the humble heavy freight loco of the midland railway and in L.M.S. days and B.R. days.
I have just been reading a copy of ‘The Wirksworth Branch’ - Howard Sprenger, and it lists details of locos working the branch from observations made between 1963 and 1965. Two Fowler 4Fs 44454 and 44076 were recorded on limestone trains on 6/8/63 and 29/10/64 respectively, but the most numerous sightings were of 8Fs. The last reference to steam was a photograph of 8F 48003, taken in the yard at Wirksworth on 1/9/1965, a Kirkby in Ashfield allocated engine at the time.

Established Member

Whilst the Santa trains are in full swing let's not forget the steam gala at the end of the month which the timetable is up. Similar to the diesel gala in the spring, services will be top and tailed between Shottle and Duffield Holloway Road for a double run before returning to Wirksworth. Ravenstor will also be in use.

For those wishing to arrive via Duffield, Vallances Coaches will provide a connecting bus service to Shottle (times also on the link above).

nferguso

Things are getting rather exciting at Wirksworth. All being well, we shall have four steam locomotives in steam on 31st December and 1st January. Here we see The Duke in steam and ready for its formal inspection tomorrow, 19th December.

Duke in Steam.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
Things are getting rather exciting at Wirksworth. All being well, we shall have four steam locomotives in steam on 31st December and 1st January. Here we see The Duke in steam and ready for its formal inspection tomorrow, 19th December.

View attachment 148741
Fantastic work, sadly I am unavailable on those dates, but I applaud your work from a distance and it sounds an impressive line up and event. I’m sure I will make a visit in on a steam day in the near future, having done diesel’s on my last two visits.

nferguso

Fantastic work, sadly I am unavailable on those dates, but I applaud your work from a distance and it sounds an impressive line up and event. I’m sure I will make a visit in on a steam day in the near future, having done diesel’s on my last two visits.
Thank you! We hope to have plenty of steam opportunities next year, so we look forward to seeing you!

Meanwhile, The Duke passed its hydraulic test today and is scheduled to have its steam test tomorrow.

Neil

m79900

In the December 'Railway Magazine', it says that work on the new station building is due to start in the new year. Is this true? I'm looking forward to seeing it complete.

Established Member
New timetable is now on the website with the first day being 17th Feb for the half term before returning fully on the 29th March. Minor changes to the standard 3 train timetable to give more time between the middle and last train at Wirksworth. On Summer Saturdays this now increases to 4 trips.

Due to the landslip the timetable is currently showing as either being 'the Shottle Shuttle' or to Duffield (Holloway Road) until July.