• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Electrified Diversion Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are there any other electrified diversion routes on the ECML apart from the Hertford Loop and Doncaster Decoy?

Depends what you mean by "diversion route" i.e. would the electrified freight lines that by-pass York station count?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Hitchin-Cambridge-Ely-Peterborough is electrified Hitchin-Ely.

Not sure where recent bi-mode diversions have been changing power...
*fairly* sure they were on AC through Letchworth but on diesel when passing Cambridge.

dan4291

Depends what you mean by "diversion route" i.e. would the electrified freight lines that by-pass York station count?

Was really thinking of diversion routes used by passenger trains that are electrified, routes that LNER would use in an emergency or during engineering works.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
-------routes that LNER would use in an emergency or during engineering works.
Bimodes change the dynamic considerably of course. A few diversionary routes but I can not think of anymore apart from the ones already mentioned that are electrified.

If engineering works are planned well in advance rather than being an emergency, then it helps considerably having bimodes or even last mile ore two capability locos.

route101

Established Member
How often is the route through Millerhill used as a diversion?

59CosG95

Established Member
Hitchin-Cambridge-Ely-Peterborough is electrified Hitchin-Ely.

Not sure where recent bi-mode diversions have been changing power...
*fairly* sure they were on AC through Letchworth but on diesel when passing Cambridge.
Probably Litlington (?) MPTSC. I don't think the feeders at Milton Fen & Shepreth Branch Jn can take the additional electrical load from the Azumas.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
How often is the route through Millerhill used as a diversion?
I only recall the North Berwick locals going that way once, on a pre-planned basis. (Presumably more straightforward for a few local crews to get route knowledge.)

Andyjs247

1A25 1045 Leeds - Kings Cross Su is booked Platform 8 at Doncaster then WSL and over the flyover to Loversall Carr Jn.

In the down direction 1N83 1106 Kings Cross - York runs via Decoy SX and SO.

Taunton

Established Member
If you count the ECML trains extended from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central, via Carstairs or via Shotts are electric alternatives.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If you count the ECML trains extended from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central, via Carstairs or via Shotts are electric alternatives.
But there's only one LNER in each direction so it has plenty of choice! Others are Cross Country so diesels.

Class 170101

Established Member
Do LNER sign those diversionary routes anymore now its only one per day? I'm not sure they sign Shotts either, It wasn't electrified whrn the Glasgow services were in East Coast hands vice Cross Country.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Probably Litlington (?) MPTSC. I don't think the feeders at Milton Fen & Shepreth Branch Jn can take the additional electrical load from the Azumas.

You are correct - there is a "drop pantograph" sign on the Down line shortly before Litlington.

There does also seem to be one covered up between Ely and Ely North Jn, prezumably awaiting the power upgrade to be complete, so 80xs can (eventually) use AC all the way to Ely

59CosG95

Established Member
You are correct - there is a "drop pantograph" sign on the Down line shortly before Litlington.

There does also seem to be one covered up between Ely and Ely North Jn, prezumably awaiting the power upgrade to be complete, so 80xs can (eventually) use AC all the way to Ely
That would make sense. Do the 755s have the ability to drop pans on the move? Do GA even allow them to do so?
If the Drop Pan signs aren't also used by the Stadlers, then they'll definitely be for an Azuma.

Class 170101

Established Member
Pans up and Down at Ely Station from what I have heard diesel between Ely and Ely North Jn for Stadlers.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Pans up and Down at Ely Station from what I have heard diesel between Ely and Ely North Jn for Stadlers.

Correct.

Similarly, changeovers at Stowmarket for Cambridge-Ipswich.

I *believe* they are capable of changeovers on the move (not sure about the OLE, mind), but in-station changes are so quick** there's not much benefit other than a slight fuel saving.

**Witnessed a sub 60 second dwell with changeover at Ely the other day.

Class 170101

Established Member
Correct.

Similarly, changeovers at Stowmarket for Cambridge-Ipswich.

I *believe* they are capable of changeovers on the move (not sure about the OLE, mind), but in-station changes are so quick** there's not much benefit other than a slight fuel saving.

**Witnessed a sub 60 second dwell with changeover at Ely the other day.

It will be the NR OLE thats not up to the job.

Veteran Member
1A25 1045 Leeds - Kings Cross Su is booked Platform 8 at Doncaster then WSL and over the flyover to Loversall Carr Jn.

In the down direction 1N83 1106 Kings Cross - York runs via Decoy SX and SO.
Thanks, I didn't think to look at Sunday times.

Status
Not open for further replies.