• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Power Supply Upgrade

Sonik

The SFC could be programmed to detect that regen is occuring and reduce the SFC voltage accordingly though.
That's exactly what the reply on LinkedIn says. It's not a dumb transformer, the power flow can be actively managed by the SFC electronics.

I'm not a rail electrification guy (but I have designed some quite large power systems) so I'm extrapolating, but I take this to mean there is more design tolerance (i.e. volt drop) allowable in the wiring, which allows for savings in wire gauges and support structures.

Anything that reduces electrification costs has to be a plus.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
The new ASG container TSC at Digswell has now entered service, replacing the old structure-mounted (and presumably SF6-insulated) Digswell TSL.

Remaining for Phase 1:
  • Removal of redundant Wood Green FS;
  • Removal of remaining parts of redundant Potters Bar MPTSC;
  • Removal of redundant Welwyn 'A' FS;
  • Removal of redundant Digswell TSL;
  • Removal of redundant Langley Jn FS;
  • Completion of +/-25kV infrastructure at Coreys Mill ATFS;
  • Switching Works at Biggleswade MPTSC (dependent on whether the OHNS is retained);
  • EIS of new Little Barford FS (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Purchase of land, construction and EIS of new Bretton FS (and removal of redundant equipment there and at Nene FS);
  • Removal of Tallington TSC;
  • Alteration of switching arrangements at Stoke TSC;
  • EIS of new Grantham North FS (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • EIS of new Retford FS (and removal of redundant equipment).

Remaining for Phase 2:
  • EIS of new Doncaster North TSC (and removal of redundant FS);
  • Construction and EIS of new Balne TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • EIS of new Hambleton Jn SFC & FS (and removal of redundant MPTSC);
  • Removal of redundant Colton Jn TSC;
  • Removal of redundant York FS;
  • EIS of new Tollerton TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • EIS of new Dalton TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • EIS of new Northallerton TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Removal of redundant Hutton Bonville FS;
  • EIS of new Darlington TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Construction and EIS of new Aycliffe MPTSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Construction and EIS of new Tursdale Junction TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Removal of redundant Durham FS;
  • Construction and EIS of new King Edward Bridge Jn MPTSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Removal of redundant Benton FS;
  • Construction and EIS of new Stannington MPTSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • EIS of new Ulgham Crossing FS (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Construction and EIS of new Shilbottle TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Removal of redundant Chathill TSC;
  • Removal of redundant Fenham TSC;
  • Construction of SFC at Marshall Meadows SFC & FS, EIS of new infrastructure & removal of redundant infrastructure.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Remaining for Phase 2:
  • Construction of SFC at Marshall Meadows SFC & FS, EIS of new infrastructure & removal of redundant infrastructure.
I’ve whittled this list down to feeder stations only, as I think I have a misunderstanding. Is this list really indicating that there’s going to be no power supplies between Hambleton Jn and Ulgham Crossing? Or is it just noting that the feeder station locations have been upgraded and there’s still redundant equipment to be removed?

59CosG95

Established Member
I’ve whittled this list down to feeder stations only, as I think I have a misunderstanding. Is this list really indicating that there’s going to be no power supplies between Hambleton Jn and Ulgham Crossing? Or is it just noting that the feeder station locations have been upgraded and there’s still redundant equipment to be removed?
Most of the feeder upgrades between Hambleton & Ulgham have already been done.
The new York, Hutton Bonville, Durham and Benton FSs have already been commissioned and entered into service.
Since my original post, Hutton Bonville's old, dark green FS building has been removed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Most of the feeder upgrades between Hambleton & Ulgham have already been done.
The new York, Hutton Bonville, Durham and Benton FSs have already been commissioned and entered into service.
Since my original post, Hutton Bonville's old, dark green FS building has been removed.
Ok thanks. You can possibly see how your list could have been misinterpreted?

59CosG95

Established Member
Ok thanks. You can possibly see how your list could have been misinterpreted?
Absolutely - my apologies.

So, an updated list for Phase 2, as of the morning of the 14th November 2023:
  • Removal of redundant Hambleton Jn MPTSC (new SFC+FS entered into service)
  • Redundant Colton Jn TSC removed;
  • Redundant Hutton Bonville FS removed;
  • Construction and EIS of new Aycliffe MPTSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Construction and EIS of new Tursdale Junction TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Construction and EIS of new King Edward Bridge Jn MPTSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Construction and EIS of new Stannington MPTSC (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Construction and EIS of new Shilbottle TSC (and removal of redundant equipment);

Last edited:

St. Paddy

The new ASG container TSC at Digswell has now entered service, replacing the old structure-mounted (and presumably SF6-insulated) Digswell TSL.

Remaining for Phase 1:
  • Removal of redundant Wood Green FS;
  • Removal of remaining parts of redundant Potters Bar MPTSC;
  • Removal of redundant Welwyn 'A' FS;
  • Removal of redundant Digswell TSL;
  • Removal of redundant Langley Jn FS;
  • Completion of +/-25kV infrastructure at Coreys Mill ATFS;
  • Switching Works at Biggleswade MPTSC (dependent on whether the OHNS is retained);
  • EIS of new Little Barford FS (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • Purchase of land, construction and EIS of new Bretton FS (and removal of redundant equipment there and at Nene FS);
  • Removal of Tallington TSC;
  • Alteration of switching arrangements at Stoke TSC;
  • EIS of new Grantham North FS (and removal of redundant equipment);
  • EIS of new Retford FS (and removal of redundant equipment).

Remaining for Phase 2:
  • Removal of redundant Colton Jn TSC;
Digswell TSL all removed. Potters Bar in progress and nearly completed.

Edit, Potters Bar completed.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Just passed Tallington heading north; on the Up Side north of the level crossing, Murphys have set up a compound. This is presumably to tie in with the long-overdue removal of the Neutral Section and decommissioning of the TSC, which I understand is pencilled in for Christmas.

59CosG95

Established Member
Further update of the works at Christmas:

In summary: overboom cables have been run near Wood Green FS (presumably in the Ally Pally area); a new UTX (under track crossing) has been dug for Bretton FS, and Tallington OHNS has finally been removed.

td97

Established Member
Hambleton SFC has now been commissioned and entered service
Innovation success! REAL have successfully commissioned the largest rail Static Frequency Converter (SFC) system in the world – a crucial component of the Power Supply Upgrade (PSU) Programme for the #EastCoastMainLine #ECML. Work on the Hambleton Site first began in 2019 with the building of a 2.1km temporary haul road and has involved every discipline of the REAL team working together to construct, install, embed, and test what is now the final asset. The Hambleton SFC is the first of its type to enter into service on UK rail infrastructure and is the largest capacity system built by Siemens globally. Well done #Team!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hambleton SFC has now been commissioned and entered service
I’m wondering if the comparative lack of news reports about Marshall Meadows means that the SFC site there is being built by a different contractor? (Although presumably it will use the same Siemens hardware?)

Last edited:

stuving

I’m wondering if the comparative lack of news reports about Marshall Meadows means that the SFC site there is being built by a different contractor? (Although presumably it will use the same Siemens hardware?)
The two SFCs are included in the list of work to be done by the REAL Alliance in Phase 2. Most of the bits of publicity we've seen follow completion of something, so presumably Marshall Meadows is just taking its time. But I guess it could be led within the Alliance by another group who don't go in for that kind of thing.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The two SFCs are included in the list of work to be done by the REAL Alliance in Phase 2. Most of the bits of publicity we've seen follow completion of something, so presumably Marshall Meadows is just taking its time. But I guess it could be led within the Alliance by another group who don't go in for that kind of thing.
Ah, so is it just that the various lists REAL staff put on LinkedIn are only including the locations as they’re almost finished, ie being tested, or entered into service?

WAO

The ORR letter of 21/12/23 gives the following description (Quote):

"Two No. new traction power supplies at Hambleton Junction with the principal
component parts of each circuit being a 132kV incoming supply cable from Northern
Powergrid, 132kV / 27kV transformer, triple-pole disconnector, 3ph. to 1ph Static
Frequency Converter (including 3 and 1 Ph. filters, start-up transformer and circuit
breaker, 3 Ph. to 1 Ph converter and LV auxiliary supply transformer), double pole
disconnector, 25kV containerised traction feeder station with air insulated switchgear,
IEC61850 intelligent protection and control devices, supervisory control and data
acquisition interfacing with York Electrical Control Room, and power to overhead line
cabling to the East Coast Main Line."

Ref: https://www.orr.gov.uk/sites/defaul...mbleton-junction-authorisation-2023-12-21.pdf

Apologies if this is perhaps not quite the right form of quotation.

WAO

59CosG95

Established Member

OLE Piling works have apparently finished across the PSU2 footprint, with Chester-le-street being the last location to have a pile sunk.

That being said, I haven't seen much, if any, piling-related changes around Marshall Meadows...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

OLE Piling works have apparently finished across the PSU2 footprint, with Chester-le-street being the last location to have a pile sunk.

That being said, I haven't seen much, if any, piling-related changes around Marshall Meadows...
It’s a pity Marshall Meadows is so far off the beaten track. I noted there was progress in a cab view video a few months ago, but I suppose the view from passing trains is only a quick glimpse if you’re running at line speed.

thecrofter

It’s a pity Marshall Meadows is so far off the beaten track. I noted there was progress in a cab view video a few months ago, but I suppose the view from passing trains is only a quick glimpse if you’re running at line speed.

If you think MM is off the beaten track try getting to Fenham! I went to the TSC there back in 2000 when we were in the process of transferring the East Coast SCADA (from Doncaster / Hornsey) to York and MM was proposed to be the England / Scotland boundary. Railtrack deemed the extra two sites to be cost prohibitive so it was kept at Chathill.

InOban

Established Member
In what way is MM isolated? It's clearly visible on Google maps immediately South of MM Caravan Park. at the end of a short lane off the A1 just north of Berwick-upon-Tweed.

td97

Established Member
Update that Ulgham Feeder 1 has now been commissioned
The LAST feeder to be commissioned from the PSU2 scope Entered into Service last week, one week ahead of schedule.

Despite inclement weather and significant outage challenges the REAL team successfully entered Ulgham Feeder 1 into service this week following two weeks of works during the day and night from Alliance Construction and Testing & Commissioning teams.

As the last feeder to be commissioned on the PSU2 scope, this is a significant milestone for PSU and our client @Network Rail and is critical to the implementation of the new timetable. Now that all feeders in this part of the project scope are commissioned means that the East Coast Main Line has both increased resilience and additional power.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In what way is MM isolated? It's clearly visible on Google maps immediately South of MM Caravan Park. at the end of a short lane off the A1 just north of Berwick-upon-Tweed.
I probably confused things but meant earlier it’s a bit off the beaten track for our typical forum photographers, eg if you compare with coverage of the MML project.

sturmey_archer

As far as I know, Marshall Meadows has been dropped from the PSU2 programme. I'd heard it was just 'paused' but the new Ulgham feeder station was Entered Into Service last week and PSU publicised this on LinkedIn as their 'last feeder station'.

On one hand, PSU still say on LinkedIn that they are providing 2 × SFCs and are upgrading supplies as far as Edinburgh... but as far as I can tell nothing has happened on the scottish sites at Reston or Innerwick etc, and their recent posts suggest the project is drawing to a close.

Seeing Marshall Meadows from the train, the new Siemens switch gear building is in place. (I understand that the order was already placed when Marshall Meadows was dropped from the programme, so it has been delivered and installed, but not connected). Work on the really expensive bit -the SFC supply - looks like it has yet to begin. And looking from the train or from the A1, there has been no visible work to the OLE or any upgrade of the local electricity network's single-phase supply to a three-phase supply that will be needed for the SFC.

Waverleystu

When is it expected that the upgrade on the borders will be complete that would allow TPE services to run pan up?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When is it expected that the upgrade on the borders will be complete that would allow TPE services to run pan up?
Well AFAICT from previous discussions the key to running all possible services on the wires is still the Marshall Meadows SFC site - and the previous post to yours now casts some serious doubt on the progress there, so I don’t think a date can be even guessed at.

The planning permissions for the SFC site, (post #86), and the associated grid supply upgrade to provide 3 phase 132 kV from Low Cocklaw, (post #139), were granted by Northumberland Council by 2022. The upgrade to the 132 kV supply was intended to involve modifying the existing poles.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
3 pics from Shilbottle TSC's site at lunchtime today. Unlike the others, which are all modular containerised buildings, this is almost a throwback to the 60s with its bricks-and-mortar construction. There seems to be a lot of civils work to create a permanent access track up from the country lane linking High Buston with the A1068, including putting the existing drainage ditch on the southern side of the lane through a culvert.20240205_130630.jpg20240205_130638.jpg20240205_131009.jpg

It's easy enough to view round there; there's a parking area next to the site entrance and a bridleway sandwiched between railway and works compound. (I would recommend wellies at this time of year though - my chelsea boots haven't come out too well from the muddy path!)

Electrical fitout has yet to start.

I also paid Stannington (MP)TSC a flying visit; no pictures sadly as it's a bit less accessible, but works have begun in earnest.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
3 pics from Shilbottle TSC's site at lunchtime today. Unlike the others, which are all modular containerised buildings, this is almost a throwback to the 60s with its bricks-and-mortar construction. There seems to be a lot of civils work to create a permanent access track up from the country lane linking High Buston with the A1068, including putting the existing drainage ditch on the southern side of the lane through a culvert..
That’s interesting that a conventional construction has been chosen (or required by planning?). Is it possible that they couldn’t achieve access by road for the normal sized container?

I just tried to find a planning application without any success so far. I found a separate application for the new access track that you mention, but not the one for the TSC itself.

59CosG95

Established Member
That’s interesting that a conventional construction has been chosen (or required by planning?). Is it possible that they couldn’t achieve access by road for the normal sized container?

I just tried to find a planning application without any success so far. I found a separate application for the new access track that you mention, but not the one for the TSC itself.
I'm assuming so; access from the A1068 is underneath a rail underbridge (ECM7-101) with a height restriction, and then up a rather steep slope. There's also the possibility that the salt content in the air perhaps favoured a masonry design!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm assuming so; access from the A1068 is underneath a rail underbridge (ECM7-101) with a height restriction, and then up a rather steep slope. There's also the possibility that the salt content in the air perhaps favoured a masonry design!
I think the latter reason probably doesn’t stand up because they’ve installed the usual containers nearer the sea further north eg at Fenham. From a planning perspective I thought it might be a case of the slightly larger container being far more visible on the crest of the hill as seen from the A1068, you can just see the original container roof if you take a Streetview from a point about 250m south of the junction with High Buston Lane. But I had to search a bit for that, from most view points it’s hidden in the trees.