• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML problem 22/08/22 @ Newark Northgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyDuck

There looks to be a developing issue at Newark, a Grand Central train (1N95) to Sunderland seems to have stopped on the down line at Newark. The up line wasn't affected as Kings Cross trains were passing OK. Then during a lull on the up a following LNER unit (1S21) was crossed over to the up to apparently pass the GC unit. However that also seems to have come to a standstill and now the up appears to be blocked too with two London bound units waiting outside the station. There are 4 units waiting on the down at this point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FuzzyDuck

Looks like 1S21 has got through and is back on the down. Another down unit has also passed through on the up. Up traffic seems to be going via platform 3 to allow down traffic via platform 2 at the moment.

Update: the line to platform 2 has now got a line block, so all traffic going via platform 3 it seems.

Naylor81

Apparently one of GC’s trains earlier suffered vandalism too with a brick thrown through the windscreen. Hope driver is okay.

Established Member
Fire is out but they are still cooling the engine area down. Suspected that the final drive has failed on the unit.

Services continue to run via plat3 at Newark with 3 services being flighted in each direction.

GC unit conducting rotational test with a view to setting unit back into Newark Station to detrain.

mm333

On the 1400 Edinburgh-Kings Cross, been sat at North Muskham, just north of Newark, for 10 minutes. The LNER train manager has just told us there 3 southbound services ahead of us waiting to go through Newark, but he thinks the signaller is giving priority to the northbound trains.

Established Member
On the 1400 Edinburgh-Kings Cross, been sat at North Muskham, just north of Newark, for 10 minutes. The LNER train manager has just told us there 3 southbound services ahead of us waiting to go through Newark, but he thinks the signaller is giving priority to the northbound trains.
3 in one direction are being let through at a time, before 3 the other way.
TM should know that, as it is clearly written on route messages being sent to train, and in phone calls to each train manager in the area.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
If using bi-di, its quicker overall to let a few trains go in one direction, then a few in the other, rather than one at a time in each direction

FuzzyDuck

Looks like you are the next unit through.

Established Member
If using bi-di, its quicker overall to let a few trains go in one direction, then a few in the other, rather than one at a time in each direction
As I posted 20 minutes ago, that 3 in one direction, before 3 the next.

Update.
Unit is ready to set back detrain, then will shunt into sidings to clear the line.

liamf656

Reports of the final drive going in the 55 car causing smoke between the coaches, train crew had put the fire out although fire brigade were called as a precaution and to continue cooling the engine down

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
As I posted 20 minutes ago, that 3 in one direction, before 3 the next.

Update.
Unit is ready to set back detrain, then will shunt into sidings to clear the line.
Yes, but at the same time I was posting, I was explaining the reason why, which your post didn't

mm333

Looks like you are the next unit through.

We were, thank you. Three northbound services did go past while we were sat at North Muskham, then we went south and we briefly held just north of the station before coming into platform 3.

Now to be further slightly delayed as the 1536 Harrogate-London was capped at Doncaster so we’re making additional stops at Grantham and Stevenage.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Diverted from Leeds to York, waited for the Leeds service to get in before dispatching the London service.... Customer service at its finest.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Lner twitter says there's been a fire on "another operator's train"
When I saw that - I thought I bet that is a GC 180. They certainly do have a bad reputation, but at worse places to self combust. Hull Trains at Welwyn North probably is as bad as the 180s get.

TheBigD

Established Member
Trains now able to use platform 2 at Newark.

Everything, north and south, was routed through platform 3 previously.

Established Member
Unit to be shunted at 2000, south, then back north into sidings, after which time all likes will be come available.

Veteran Member
Which explains why the 1833 (starting +30) has been stood south of Claypole and is now +45-50. Excellent TM BTW.

PS Is there Delay Repay on an Interrail? :)

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I was at Peterborough heading south and there were all sorts of interesting things going on. The 700 I was originally getting was cancelled due to a fault then had to wait for a path back into the Waitrose sidings, then the HST Measurement Train was routed through 1 and held on the bridge while the next 700 was allowed out between very delayed southbound LNER services. There was at least decent and prompt information being given out over the PA at Peterborough.

TAS

Which explains why the 1833 (starting +30) has been stood south of Claypole and is now +45-50. Excellent TM BTW.

PS Is there Delay Repay on an Interrail? :)
Via the Interrail website, yes. But only for delays of 60+ minutes and with a claim value of €4+ (compensation is determined based on pass cost and duration, and length of delay). If eligible, be warned that, if my experience is typical, the form disappears into a void without any confirmation that it's been received, it takes several weeks for the refund to be confirmed and even longer for it to reach your bank account.

TheBigD

Established Member
As expected, some cancellations on Grand Central today. 0755 ex Bradford and 1456 return, whilst the 0954 ex Sunderland started late from York.

I guess with 1 unit at Ilford, and another stopped because of yesterday's incident (any more demic?), Grand Central's 8 remaining 180s aren't able to cover the 7 daily diagrams.

dan4291

It's currently stood in a VERY overgrown headshunt off the south end of Newark Northgate station. Hopefully it'll be moved before it's reclaimed by nature!

Status
Not open for further replies.