• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML routing to South London via East London Line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Morning all,

Quite surprised to buy a ticket from Doncaster to Streatham and get an itinerary with changes at Stevenage, Finsbury Park, Highbury & Islington, Peckham Rye. The return takes me via the expected route of Thameslink to St Pancras and walk across the road to Kings Cross.
Tickets bought via the East Coast website.
Oddly, the East London routing is shown as quicker overall than one change in central London, but I guess that's down to the 40-odd minutes they allow between arriving at St P and departing KX.

Anyone tried this? Any thoughts? Useful route for journeys via New Cross/New Cross Gate to the S and SE of London?

I'm going to do it anyway for the scenic value, taking a printout in case of any skeptical staff.

Ta.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bicbasher

Established Member
During the evening peak, I've travelled up from Oxford Circus to Forest Hill via Highbury and Islington as I'm guaranteed a seat on the ELL to Crystal Palace service which takes 35 mins from H&I.

My favourite part of the journey is when the train leaves Shoreditch High Street to Whitechapel and you get a great view of the Gherkin and the other City buildings.

Incidentally, to get to Peckham Rye, you'll need the Clapham Junction via Whitechapel service from Platform 2 after coming up the one remaining escalator working from the Victoria/Northern City line platforms underground.

ert47

Travelling between Croydon and Lincoln, I have come across several journeys that have had this routing, however had avoided them because it was faster to travel through Kings Cross.
Shortest transfer I've done between KingsCross St.Pancras and London Bridge has been around 25 mins. Usually depends on the interchange to FCC services.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Yes, I reckon it would be faster in reality via KX, and perhaps more convenient as only one change, but it appears the booking engines prescribe a certain time between arriving at KX and departing St P Thameslink, which just tips the balance.
My record was about 10 mins from wheels stopping at KX and departing in a Javelin bound for Kent.

paul1609

Established Member
Travelling between Croydon and Lincoln, I have come across several journeys that have had this routing, however had avoided them because it was faster to travel through Kings Cross.
Shortest transfer I've done between KingsCross St.Pancras and London Bridge has been around 25 mins. Usually depends on the interchange to FCC services.

If you know exactly where you're going the fastest way between East Croydon and Kings Cross in by far the majority of cases is still to Vic and then tube to Kings Cross St Pancras, its because of the relative frequencies and the slowness of running with of Thameslink through the CORE.

ert47

If you know exactly where you're going the fastest way between East Croydon and Kings Cross in by far the majority of cases is still to Vic and then tube to Kings Cross St Pancras, its because of the relative frequencies and the slowness of running with of Thameslink through the CORE.

While I live in Croydon, my closest station is actually Norwood Junction - there are fast trains from London Bridge.

A60K

What's the CORE? Cross ... Rail .... ?

Chrisgr31

Established Member
I travel relatively regularly between London Bridge and Kings Cross and almost always use the tube, partly because using Thameslink is a pain because my Southern "London Terminals" season ticket is only valid to Farringdon I believe, so I in theory need to tap in on my PAYG Oyster to go to Kings Cross, but mainly because its invariably a lot quicker to go by tube due to frequency of service.

clagmonster

Established Member
I travel relatively regularly between London Bridge and Kings Cross and almost always use the tube, partly because using Thameslink is a pain because my Southern "London Terminals" season ticket is only valid to Farringdon I believe, so I in theory need to tap in on my PAYG Oyster to go to Kings Cross, but mainly because its invariably a lot quicker to go by tube due to frequency of service.
Your season is valid only as far as City Thameslink. If you only ever travel into London Bridge, it is likely you could get a season to St. Pancras for exactly the same price.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Your season is valid only as far as City Thameslink. If you only ever travel into London Bridge, it is likely you could get a season to St. Pancras for exactly the same price.

I knew it was somewhere in the core that my ticket expired. I was thinking that a season ticket to St Pancras would come in useful as it is rumoured that half way through the validity of my next annual season ticket our office will move to Kings Cross, however then I realised that on occasions I use both East Croydon to Victoria and Clapham Junction to Waterloo and indeed in the fist 6 months of validity I will ned to do London Bridge to Charing Cross so cunning plan foiled!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I knew it was somewhere in the core that my ticket expired. I was thinking that a season ticket to St Pancras would come in useful as it is rumoured that half way through the validity of my next annual season ticket our office will move to Kings Cross, however then I realised that on occasions I use both East Croydon to Victoria and Clapham Junction to Waterloo and indeed in the fist 6 months of validity I will ned to do London Bridge to Charing Cross so cunning plan foiled!

You can always request a season ticket changeover when your circumstances change, provided that there is a minimum of one month's validity left on your season ticket. Our Fares and Ticketing Guide Section 5.12 explains more. In fact I can't think of a more suitable use for a changeover. Your situation would be a perfect example. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.