• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML South disruption - OLE down 09/12

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
Due to serious overcrowding it looks as though Avanti are now refusing to convey ‘LNER only’ customers.

With the MML also shut Luton to Bedford (planned engineering work) as well as the ECML effectively being shut, I'd imagine that the WCML is struggling with all the extra passengers in addition to their own.

dk1

Veteran Member
Since 1300

Cheers. I noticed it somewhere on an ‘X’ post but didn’t note the time. WCML like most long distance services would be very well patronised on a Sunday afternoon anyway.

With the MML also shut Luton to Bedford (planned engineering work) as well as the ECML effectively being shut, I'd imagine that the WCML is struggling with all the extra passengers in addition to their own.

Very true. A perfect storm.

Established Member
Allegedly Avanti revoked ticket acceptance after a TM was assaulted this morning, according to the guard of the TPE train I'm currently on, which is carrying displaced passengers.

Established Member
People been queuing for over 3 hours at Grantham yet LnER keep sending the trains there. its all well and good issuing a do not travel warning but the reality is that will get ignored simply cos people have no other option. Especially on a Sunday. No win situation.

Established Member
People been queuing for over 3 hours at Grantham yet LnER keep sending the trains there. its all well and good issuing a do not travel warning but the reality is that will get ignored simply cos people have no other option. Especially on a Sunday. No win situation.
Why shouldn't they?

Not everyone is travelling to London, Grantham is a destination in it's own right, and also an Interchange for Skegness, Boston and Nottingham amongst other places.

gerjomarty

Why shouldn't they?

Not everyone is travelling to London, Grantham is a destination in it's own right, and also an Interchange for Skegness, Boston and Nottingham amongst other places.
Because as I've just personally experienced, it's not designed to handle the 1000-odd people currently inside the station?

MontyP

Allegedly Avanti revoked ticket acceptance after a TM was assaulted this morning, according to the guard of the TPE train I'm currently on, which is carrying displaced passengers.
I'm on the 1435 Manc- Euston and they were fine with accepting LNER passengers.

midland1

1E16 1300 Edin, KX standing some time now outside of Grantham perhaps waiting for bus que to go down at Grantham.

Established Member
Why shouldn't they?

Because there is a safety risk at the station with hundreds of people and very few staff to control the crowds. That should be relayed to control. Maybe terminate at Newark or Doncaster and use local coach firms there to take people to Peterborough. I suspect coaches and drivers are thin on the ground wherever though

Established Member
1700 has left London and according to LNER website is running all the way with stops at Peterborough Newark and Doncaster. Wonder,if they have managed to open the down? Or is it going via Lincoln to Newark and reverse

Established Member
1A40 has been sat at Newark for about 25mins now.
I guess like 1E16, Grantham too congested from safety perspective or possibly they waiting to get lines reopened. Like I said above LNER website says few more trains running direct out of Kings Cross this evening. 1F88 not left Peterborough yet either. (Edit it has now and signalled onto Joint) 1A87 heading on the up also, I suspect a couple of lines at be reopened soon

Last edited:

gazzaa2

I know it's not always that easy as many journeys are essential/booked well in advance, but I won't travel by rail these days if there's any extreme weather forecast. The infrastructure is not robust at all to handle extreme or even inclement weather.

But you get a weekend of storms and heavy rain and the trains are still packed out. Should there have been more 'do not travel' warnings earlier this weekend?

Beebman

Andymo

This is not extreme or severe weather by any stretch of the imagination. It’s raining and windy like it does regularly in the UK

gazzaa2

This is not extreme or severe weather by any stretch of the imagination. It’s raining and windy like it does regularly in the UK

Strong winds and heavy rain will cause problems on our lines though and increasingly so. Whether it's flooding, OLE/power issues, trees or other obstacles falling onto tracks.

The extreme of very hot weather/sub zero temperatures/heavy snow/stronger storms etc which would bring out more warnings over travel is more rare.

thomalex

I've no idea if this X post is accurate but if it's correct it's very concerning:

https://twitter.com/RugbyFella1/status/1733901855149683168

2 buses booked. Sounds ridiculous.

I was affected by this yesterday on the last train down from York to London at 8pm, fortunately while the journey took 2 hours longer than planned we were eventually able to make it on same train via a diversion via Lincoln and down to Peterborough avoiding the affected area. Does anyone know why this isn't being done today?

kingqueen

Julia

Is platform 4 at Grantham not wired? Wondering why 1E16 hasn't been shunted into the station. (Although I note it's a bimode 5-car + AC 5-car) Also 1A40 is a bimode, presumably can't shunt on to the joint line?

TheBigD

Established Member
Out of interest, does anyone know why 1F88 was delayed by 45 minutes at Peterborough?
It shouldn't take 45 minutes to attach an assisting loco..

Beebman

1E16 still outside Grantham, 1A40 standing 45mins at Newark NG, 1A87 standing at Retford.
Also EMR's 2S27 16:50 Nottingham - Skegness appears to have been held outside Grantham on the line from Allington Jct since 17:24 even though P4 seems to be clear (maybe the footbridge is blocked with the crowds?)

Meanwhile LNER's X seems to be adamant that a train will leave Grantham shortly for KGX. The departure board on Tiger Rail shows an 18:00 1G50 departure on P1 with the estimated time constantly being pushed back but just now I see it's appeared on the Open Train Times map.

TheBigD

Established Member
Is platform 3 at Grantham not wired? Wondering why 1E16 hasn't been shunted into the station. (Although I note it's a bimode 5-car + AC 5-car) Also 1A40 is a bimode, presumably can't shunt on to the joint line?

Platform 3 at Grantham only takes 3 cars max. It also has an operating restriction on it so it isn't normally used anymore, though does see occasional use.

Platform 4 needs to be kept clear for the Nottingham and Skegness trains.

Established Member
I think they are waiting for lines to be reopened hence 1S26 being held at Peterborough and the 3 on the Up

Julia

Platform 3 at Grantham only takes 3 cars max. It also has an operating restriction on it so it isn't normally used anymore, though does see occasional use.

Platform 4 needs to be kept clear for the Nottingham and Skegness trains.

Sorry, corrected myself when I realised I couldn't count... :)