• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Wires Down 02.09.20

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefton

Which station staff ? If it a Farringdon there may have been LUL staff who couldn't advise.

It is inconceivable that Govia would operate through a station where either they did not have staff or arrangements were not in place for the company that does operate that station to contact Govia in situations like this.

So why did the LUL staff not call for the Govia staff to help the customer or pick up the phone to speak to Govia to establish how the customer could be helped.

Perhaps a complaint is in order so the relevant LUL staff undergo refresher training.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
It is inconceivable that Govia would operate through a station where either they did not have staff or arrangements were not in place for the company that does operate that station to contact Govia in situations like this.

So why did the LUL staff not call for the Govia staff to help the customer or pick up the phone to speak to Govia to establish how the customer could be helped.

Perhaps a complaint is in order so the relevant LUL staff undergo refresher training.

Does it really matter?

The right answer would have been to speak with the TL staff at Bedford. By all accounts TL seem to put in place arrangements between the MML and ECML when there are problems and I'm sure they had this time. Arguing that non TL staff in a busy central London station should go running around to get answers is mad.

Sometimes using common sense is tge best way forward.

arbeia

Was booked on the 1830 Kings Cross-Newcastle 2135
Lady adviser at Kings Cross said she had no advice on her sheet for Newcastle passengers! Her male colleague new it was up to Euston.
Lady on ticket desk at Euston said she could not send me to Carlisle as I would miss the last train to Newcastle!
Asked her why I couldn't go to Manchester and to Newcastle from there?
She didn't know about that routing, but fair on her she tapped the magic machine and came up with the following.
Euston 1800-Manchester Piccadilly 2005
Manchester Piccadilly 2035-Huddersfield 2108 (Hull train)
Huddersfield 2130-Newcastle 2326
So not quite 2 hours late, but lucky enough to get an email advising chaos, so got out of London 30 minutes early.
Delay Repay for myself and son accepted the following day.

Steve Harris

Does it really matter?

The right answer would have been to speak with the TL staff at Bedford. By all accounts TL seem to put in place arrangements between the MML and ECML when there are problems and I'm sure they had this time. Arguing that non TL staff in a busy central London station should go running around to get answers is mad.

Unfortunately (as the pandemic has shown) most people don't seem to have any common sense nowerdays.

It was also reported earlier today on the BBC that there was signalling problems in the Kings Cross area. Network Rail had to fix it twice !

At least with things as they are less people have been affected compared to pre Covid.

sefton

Does it really matter?

So your "common sense" answer is to catch a train to the wrong destination in the hope that something will happen there! Astonishing.

As for your view that expecting rail staff who are paid to assist customers actually do that is "mad"; well that sums up everything that is wrong with the railways in the UK.

Envy123

So your "common sense" answer is to catch a train to the wrong destination in the hope that something will happen there! Astonishing.

As for your view that expecting rail staff who are paid to assist customers actually do that is "mad"; well that sums up everything that is wrong with the railways in the UK.

Well, the alternative for my mother was to sit in King's Cross, praying and hoping that things would get resolved soon. Well, they didn't until the next morning. Bedford is at least somewhat close to Huntingdon and alternative transport is more likely to be arranged there, rather than from central London.

A0wen

On Moderation

To catch a train, on the same TOC rather than wondering why LUL staff can't answer a question about a line 70 miles away? Yes, absolutely it's common sense.

That - or go to Kings Cross / St P and ask Thameslink staff.

The separation between LUL and BR has always existed - LUL staff would be aware of disruption if it meant the Underground was accepting tickets where national rail wasn't able to provide a service - but I wouldn't expect LUL staff to know the answer of 'what's going on in Huntingdon' any more than I'd expect Thameslink staff at Huntingdon to know the answer of 'what's happening on the District line'.

bramling

Veteran Member
To catch a train, on the same TOC rather than wondering why LUL staff can't answer a question about a line 70 miles away? Yes, absolutely it's common sense.

That - or go to Kings Cross / St P and ask Thameslink staff.

The separation between LUL and BR has always existed - LUL staff would be aware of disruption if it meant the Underground was accepting tickets where national rail wasn't able to provide a service - but I wouldn't expect LUL staff to know the answer of 'what's going on in Huntingdon' any more than I'd expect Thameslink staff at Huntingdon to know the answer of 'what's happening on the District line'.

Unrealistic expectations has always been an issue - as anyone unfortunate enough to be wearing clothing which looks even remotely like railway uniform will have found during disruption!

It’s amazing how some people completely melt. They could be told anything and they’d likely do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.