• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh day rail trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Hi am in Edinburgh until Monday and was wondering if anyone could recommend a scenic rail trip, tho appreciate the lack of daylight will limit options. I have done the Fife circular and think the B'oness railway is just doing Santa stuff for the kids. I have a Lothian buses weekly pass so could combine bus/train. Cheers for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Out and back to North Berwick might be a good option, once you're east of Edinburgh it gets quite nice.

mfc3024

Hi am in Edinburgh until Monday and was wondering if anyone could recommend a scenic rail trip, tho appreciate the lack of daylight will limit options. I have done the Fife circular and think the B'oness railway is just doing Santa stuff for the kids. I have a Lothian buses weekly pass so could combine bus/train. Cheers for any help

You could do a return to Stirling or Perth if you fancy going to a bigger town/city - that whole area up there is lovely. Bridge of Allan is a nice village to visit if you get the Dunblane service out of Edinburgh.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Thanks. Have been to Stirling but might give Perth & North Berwick a go. Are splits worth looking at on these routes?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Bingo! That's it I'll do the Clockwork Orange. Watched years ago an old OnLine video about the old system that was a working museum up to the 70's modernisation. Are there any places you can go and find relics of the old system? Does the old Waterloo & City style cable hoist still exist?

tractakid

This thread is possibly relevant to my interests for early next year. In Edinburgh for a couple of days so might have time for a trip somewhere.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Am going to the industrial museum st Summerlee on way to Glasgow for the Transport museum Ticket incl the Clockwork Orange was £15 from ticket office at Haymarket as long as I don't travel back at peak time.

Status
Not open for further replies.