• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh & the Lothians bus network speculations & ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
Does it?

I know there's land reserved for that purpose, but I thought it was future-proofing rather than actually being built along with the development.
It's shown in the plan, but it isn't very large and I assumed it would only be served by the 33 which terminates at Millerhill.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
It's shown in the plan, but it isn't very large and I assumed it would only be served by the 33 which terminates at Millerhill.

Where about will this be? To my understanding and I could be wrong on this.. but isn't the bridge at Old Craighall a low bridge too? Not sure where this P&R will be

DunsBus

Established Member
Where about will this be? To my understanding and I could be wrong on this.. but isn't the bridge at Old Craighall a low bridge too? Not sure where this P&R will be
Indeed it is, 14ft 6in. I do remember the morning and evening peak extensions of the old Lothian service 82 from and to Stoneybank going that way in the early noughties. The Olympians which were used on the service got under the bridge with four inches to spare.

InOban

Established Member
AIR the present junction between the A720 bypass and the beginning of the A68 Dalkeith bypass will have an access into the new development, and the park and ride will be just inside the new development.

Well yeah, I do think it's all a matter of how well used the 72 will get! and I'm holding out hope that it will be a hit along with the X40
We will just have to wait and see what Lothian Country does with the new routes in the family. I'm sure if the demand does increase for a route to the Airport/South Queensferry then Lothian Country would implement it.

We will just have to wait and see what Lothian Country does with the new routes in the family. I'm sure if the demand does increase for a route to the Airport/South Queensferry then Lothian Country would implement it.
There will be no immediate demand for such extensions. We should let the route actually pass its first stop before speculating things like that.

I think that in the coming years that Lothian Country could expand into a Lothian Country network again, providing that Services 72 & X40 are a hit and that Eastern Scottish continues to crumble. Lothian Country could either introduce brand new routes or indeed take over more council tenders and also take over Eastern Scottish routes. For numbers, I think Lothian Country will stick to numbers in the 70s for their route numbers for services in West Lothian and if any new buses to Edinburgh come in they will have some between X15-X40 (Excluding the numbers Lothian currently use).

dcsprior

Ah, I think you're right, sorry.
I'd been going off what I remembered from the recent public meeting, rather than having another look at the plans. It's the school that has land reserved for future, but isn't actually being built, whereas the P&R does look to be being built.

I'll be slightly disappointed if it is the 33 that serves there - I'd been led to believe that the 33 was going to go round Shawfair station once the new access road from the Millerhill bypass to the station was built (which is probably soon, given that the signs for it are now erected but taped over). If it's also extended to the new P&R and therefore only serves the Station in one of the two directions, it'll not be as good of a link to the station.

Ah, I think you're right, sorry.
I'd been going off what I remembered from the recent public meeting, rather than having another look at the plans. It's the school that has land reserved for future, but isn't actually being built, whereas the P&R does look to be being built.

I'll be slightly disappointed if it is the 33 that serves there - I'd been led to believe that the 33 was going to go round Shawfair station once the new access road from the Millerhill bypass to the station was built (which is probably soon, given that the signs for it are now erected but taped over). If it's also extended to the new P&R and therefore only serves the Station in one of the two directions, it'll not be as good of a link to the station.
But it will give a link to Shawfair Station which isn't very good linked by buses today so it should do I think.

stevenedin

I wonder if the 106 will be extended from Queen Margaret University to Portobello King’s Road at any point. It could replace the link lost between there and the university. It would also provide an extra link from Haddington.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I wonder if the 106 will be extended from Queen Margaret University to Portobello King’s Road at any point. It could replace the link lost between there and the university. It would also provide an extra link from Haddington.

That seems like quite a stretch if I'm honest, if anything I would see either the 45 returning to QMU or the 19 being extended in the future.

While it would be nice to see Portobello have another like to East Lothian since they lost the 124, i think extending the 106 when it would just be faster swapping over to a 26 would not work!

I think extending the 106 to the Royal Infirmary would most likely work better, with Lothian Country taking over the X40 thus providing better connections to West Edinburgh and West Lothian then extending the 106 means that it can provide better connections with East Lothian to the Royal Infirmary.

stevenedin

That seems like quite a stretch if I'm honest, if anything I would see either the 45 returning to QMU or the 19 being extended in the future.

While it would be nice to see Portobello have another like to East Lothian since they lost the 124, i think extending the 106 when it would just be faster swapping over to a 26 would not work!
Possibly the 45 or 19 could be extended now that I think about it.

It’s such a shame that the 26 only goes as far as Seton Sands or Tranent. It would be nice if the Seton Sands journey was withdrawn and replaced with a new East Coast buses route starting further into East Lothian that currently doesn’t have a link to Edinburgh. The route could still serve Seton Sands as well and operate down past Port Seton, Cockenzie and Prestonpans. They could make that journey limited stop in Edinburgh and could either terminate at Haymarket or still continue onto Clerwood.

I think extending the 106 to the Royal Infirmary would most likely work better, with Lothian Country taking over the X40 thus providing better connections to West Edinburgh and West Lothian then extending the 106 means that it can provide better connections with East Lothian to the Royal Infirmary.
Good idea and they could terminate the 46 at Fort Kinnaird so that it can use double deckers to alleviate the capacity issues. The 48 could continue to operate to Musselburgh at an increased capacity.

Good idea and they could terminate the 46 at Fort Kinnaird so that it can use double deckers to alleviate the capacity issues. The 48 could continue to operate to Musselburgh at an increased capacity.
I was thinking more of extending the 106 via Old Craighall and Danderhall.

JKP

Prentice 111 already serves Old Craighall and Danderhall on an hourly frequency so do not see the need unless there are forthcoming developer contributions once more houses appear.

Prentice 111 already serves Old Craighall and Danderhall on an hourly frequency so do not see the need unless there are forthcoming developer contributions once more houses appear.
I thought having the 106 there as well would be more practical, instead of having it run via Fort Kinnaird and Niddrie. Services 46, 48 & 400 serve these areas and the 21 also serves Niddrie. Also, it could provide a connection for Danderhall and Old Craighall to right outside the doors of QMU and give them another bus service.

Last edited by a moderator:

overthewater

Established Member
How popular is the 106 to the Fort? A lot of people seem to get off the X6 and X7 at the Jewel and walk up to the Fort.

How popular is the 106 to the Fort? Alot of people seem to get off the X6 and X7 at the Jewel and walk up to the Fort.
If that is the case then maybe having the 106 extend via Fort Kinnaird to the Royal could actually be practical. But I would leave the 46 & 48 as it is though.

InOban

Established Member
Does everyone here realise that the bridge over the railway at QMU has barriers and is for authorised users only? I didn't until I went to drive over it last week..

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I thought having the 106 there as well would be more practical, instead of having it run via Fort Kinnaird and Niddrie. Services 46, 48 & 400 serve these areas and the 21 also serves Niddrie. Also, it could provide a connection for Danderhall and Old Craighall to right outside the doors of QMU and give them another bus service.

Honestly if the 106 proves to be a popular student service I don't see it being extended, only thing I can think is if it does the new upcoming 111 route via the A1 to Fort Kinnaird and then The Wisp to Royal Infirmary, (once the 111 returns via Old Craighall)

Lothian and Prentice could work together and really establish a great Mid/East Lothian network.

The only other benefit of having the 106 do that route is that the 30 would be able to be cut back to Fort Kinnaird.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
A) Cutting the 46 to extend a 106 on half the basis is a stupid idea, especially as the Musselburgh-Fort Kinnaird section is the busiest part of the 46 B) The 48 suffers from capacity issues throughout, its a lot less on the 46 so if either of the two needed doubles it would be the 48 C) If the 106 was to extend to the Royal Infirmary it would be better to run it via the Fort to have an extra bus running down that corridor again

Via the fort would be more viable.

Does everyone here realise that the bridge over the railway at QMU has barriers and is for authorised users only? I didn't until I went to drive over it last week..
Yes service buses are the authorised users

Perhaps it could be routed from QMU via the A1, through the Fort, and then via the Wisp and the A7 to give the Wisp a permanent and sustainable bus service?
If the 106 ran via the A1 this would put significant pressure on the 48 in Newcraighall unless the 106 was routed via Stoneybank and Newcraighall.

If the 106 ran via the A1 this would put significant pressure on the 48 in Newcraighall unless the 106 was routed via Stoneybank and Newcraighall.
Why would it? That is exactly what is happening at the moment and most buses don't even stop in Newcraighall, though it's still important to keep a link alive.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Yes, through access is for buses only, but any vehicle may access the station car park from the Stoneybank side. It’s had this set up ever since the QMU opened there.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Perhaps it could be routed from QMU via the A1, through the Fort, and then via the Wisp and the A7 to give the Wisp a permanent and sustainable bus service?

I did suggest this also further up :lol: as before I'd the 46 and 48 remain in Newcraighall I doubt it will have any sort of pressure, if anything I would see these services improving in frequency long term!

Like I said if the 106 ran to the Royal Infirmary via that Route so the 30 could be cut back to Fort Kinnaird then both services could be double deckers and if they need to travel they can swap over for an easy connection.

InOban

Established Member
Currently 30 & N30. In the past you've had a mixture of 15/15A, 44A, 45 and also Prentice 111.
AIUI all 30s terminate at QMU, I assumed they used the A1. Do they still go through Newcraighall and then loop back across the railway line?

Status
Not open for further replies.