• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh & the Lothians bus network speculations & ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdoe

Rerouting it through Winchburgh may be more profitable as bus demand in Newton is probably very low. With all the new builds, Winchburgh will soon become the capital city of Scotland so a Winchburgh - London direct bus may also help tackle the high demand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Voyager lad

I actually think a bus through Newton would be good - not everyone has a car and it could provide access to Hopetoun House too. It could even be an extension of the 43 every hour to Linlithgow, as there is demand for a Linlithgow - Queensferry route

bobdoe

Linlithgow - Queensferry is a good proposal in itself, it could go well especially during the tourist season and justifies going through Newton.

mb88

Looking at how close the terminuses of the 43 and the 72 are, would there be use in LC extending the 72 up to Tesco. This would allow people to connect onto a 43 easily enough. From what I can tell, it would only add two stops a total journey time of 5mins each way.
The layover is already minimal on the 72, so even extending it 5 minutes up to Queensferry Tesco would require an extra bus and a huge amount of layover.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As there are currently two separate ideas being discussed, it's important that you use the "quote" or "reply" functions when responding to a specific post. Otherwise your post can appear out of context and therefore may not make much sense.

Linlithgow - Queensferry is a good proposal in itself, it could go well especially during the tourist season and justifies going through Newton.
I believe this is similar to the old service 474 from Davidson, running every 2-3 hours. Must be a good 10 years since that was withdrawn. Since then Newton has been largely bus-less (other than taxibuses and the SD Travel 16 service) but I'm not sure anyone there is especially bothered.
The layover is already minimal on the 72, so even extending it 5 minutes up to Queensferry Tesco would require an extra bus and a huge amount of layover.
I reckon they're suggesting something similar to First's 22A, withdrawn a good few years back. The occasional passenger would use it from Winchburgh to Tesco at South Queensferry, but it's hardly essential as they could use the X38 to shop in Linlithgow. Linking Kirkliston and Queensferry is important but this remains available on the 63 plus the X51 for anyone desperate and well-off.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
With the current situation with the 63 taken into account. This could work because the 72 would have more journeys compared to the 63 and the 72 could connect West Lothain to Queensferry better this way.

But again it would only have a small chance of working in my opinion.

I guess it's all a matter of waiting to see what happens, if the 72 does well with Lothian then maybe the council will consider paying for an extension to South Queensferry, sure the 63 is already running at the moment but I feel if under Lothian's name and tickets they might be more attractive to the general public.

I know an extended 43 sounds like the right way to go but I could see this working with peak extensions or just an all around new service as not to upset the balance of the 43.

I reckon they're suggesting something similar to First's 22A, withdrawn a good few years back. The occasional passenger would use it from Winchburgh to Tesco at South Queensferry, but it's hardly essential as they could use the X38 to shop in Linlithgow. Linking Kirkliston and Queensferry is important but this remains available on the 63 plus the X51 for anyone desperate and well-off.

I see your point, but I think if the extension was to actually serve the Bridge and Town Centre then it would do more well rather than have it go into Tesco and then leave.

But again also all we can do is see how the demand goes for the 72, because it's not just Winchburgh residents it could benefit it could also be Broxburn and Livingston that could get a proper link.

But again also all we can do is see how the demand goes for the 72, because it's not just Winchburgh residents it could benefit it could also be Broxburn and Livingston that could get a proper link.
And a more reliable one with less likelyhood of cancellation (*cough* McGill's.)

overthewater

Established Member
I actually think a bus through Newton would be good - not everyone has a car and it could provide access to Hopetoun House too. It could even be an extension of the 43 every hour to Linlithgow, as there is demand for a Linlithgow - Queensferry route

The timekeeping on the 43 is bad enough, however you would end up sitting on a bus for one hour out of Edinburgh and doubling back on yourself; extending the 43 is unlikely.

I believe this is similar to the old service 474 from Davidson, running every 2-3 hours. Must be a good 10 years since that was withdrawn. Since then Newton has been largely bus-less (other than taxibuses and the SD Travel 16 service) but I'm not sure anyone there is especially bothered.

It's been 7 years since Newton lost its main bus service. Davidson 474 was replaced by the 23 run by E&M Horsburgh. In April 2016 that was pulled and the revised 31 came in. Of course it still had the 23A up until Covid which provided two AM peak runs to South Queensferry.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobdoe

Proposal: X41 Livingston - Bonnyrigg

Livingston Designer Outlet
A899
A71
Kirknewton B7031
A70
Balerno (Bridge Street roundabout U-turn)
Currie A70
Juniper Green A70
Colinton B701
Dreghorn Link
City Bypass A720
Straiton Retail Park
Loanhead B702
Wadingburn Road
Lasswade Road
Bonnyrigg (one-way loop: Hillhead, High Street, Dobbie's Road, Polton Road)

Frequency: hourly
Journey time: approx 80 minutes

This would be the first direct bus connection between Straiton and Bonnyrigg (very surprised one has not existed yet) and Livingston to Balerno/Midlothian communities. The bus number would complement the X40 which takes a similar route.

Last edited:

Auld reekie

A899
A71
Kirknewton B7031
A70
Currie A70
Juniper Green A70
Colinton B701
Dreghorn Link
City Bypass A720
Straiton Retail Park
Loanhead B702
Wadingburn Road
Lasswade Road

This would be the first direct bus connection between Straiton and Bonnyrigg (very surprised one has not existed yet) and Livingston to Balerno/Midlothian communities. The bus number would complement the X40 which takes a similar route.
That's quite an interesting one.

JKP

A899
A71
Kirknewton B7031
A70
Currie A70
Juniper Green A70
Colinton B701
Dreghorn Link
City Bypass A720
Straiton Retail Park
Loanhead B702
Wadingburn Road
Lasswade Road

Would it not be best to run past Straiton Retail Park on Straiton Road which could then serve Asda and turn left into Nivens Knowe Road and The Loan to Loanhead?

bobdoe

Would it not be best to run past Straiton Retail Park on Straiton Road which could then serve Asda and turn left into Nivens Knowe Road and The Loan to Loanhead?
Yes that would a more useful/profitable route, even if it takes a few extra minutes.

If Lothian don't want to extend the 15 to Penicuik, then why don't they extend it to Rosewell and give Rosewell a direct link to Edinburgh and Bush Campus?

Edirim

If Lothian don't want to extend the 15 to Penicuik, then why don't they extend it to Rosewell and give Rosewell a direct link to Edinburgh and Bush Campus?
And how do you propose they do that? The B7003 is not suitable for cars half of the time let alone a bus and going via Bonnyrigg would be daft.

bobdoe

No buses seem to go inside the Burdiehouse/Southhouse area, even though Southhouse Broadway connects the B701 with the A701.

Nawm8

No buses seem to go inside the Burdiehouse/Southhouse area, even though Southhouse Broadway connects the B701 with the A701.
Would struggle to fit anything down there and it's an absolute haven for anti-social behaviour so it would be asking for trouble, I would think.

CraigLockhart

Would struggle to fit anything down there and it's an absolute haven for anti-social behaviour so it would be asking for trouble, I would think.
I'm not sure what route you would put through it for one. Speed bumps all over the place and yes I doubt the bus would leave with many windows intact. I speak as a local.

Would it be worthwhile for McGill's to extend the 29 from Bathgate to Livingston and have that running all day (Falkirk - Livingston being the daytime route)?

Last edited by a moderator:

overthewater

Established Member
I know this is more for the Speculative thread but would it be worthwhile for McGill's to extend the 29 from Bathgate to Livingston and have that running all day (Falkirk - Livingston being the daytime route).

That happened years ago but the route was changed to Broxburn after it required 4 buses instead of 3 to keep it to time. However it meant that some of the passengers that went all the way lost out and stopped using the route. Then First wanted money and they didn't get the contract. No6 SD travel covered part of the missing section.

frvic93

Might be better for the buses to go along Lang Loan to serve the new housing developments? Anyone from northern Burdiehouse can walk along to get the bus from there.

stevenedin

So as it stands if all 50 are to go to Central depot that would mean that 351-389, 391-400 and 1000 could be withdrawn or moved for other use such further expansion but I know that things could change before that point.

I mean i could see a local service working where it doesn't need to serve Livingston at all, like a service running direct to Queensferry via Springfield, Newton in one direction and Whitburn via Bathgate and Armadale in the other way.

The truth is, unless McGills abandons Linlithgow, there is no way Lothian are gonna plug the gap properly without interfering with another operator, LCB's X38 had potential with giving Kirkliston residents a direct Lothian bus to the city but ended up ultimately being a disaster.
Maybe the route could run from Edinburgh city centre to Winchburgh via Kirkliston and then down towards Broxburn, Uphall, Uphall Station and then to Livingston Centre or further on towards Fauldhouse
Might be better for the buses to go along Lang Loan to serve the new housing developments? Anyone from northern Burdiehouse can walk along to get the bus from there.
I agree.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
So as it stands if all 50 are to go to Central depot that would mean that 351-389, 391-400 and 1000 could be withdrawn or moved for other use such further expansion but I know that things could change before that point.

Maybe the route could run from Edinburgh city centre to Winchburgh via Kirkliston and then down towards Broxburn, Uphall, Uphall Station and then to Livingston Centre or further on towards Fauldhouse

I agree.
1000 is no longer based at Central and is now at Marine. Personally I'd hope this allows some buses to move to Lothian country to replace 841-846 and others to remove 1141-1151 from service to improve capacity. Although ideally, we would see these new buses allow service 1 to be increased to double decker bus operation.

stevenedin

1000 is no longer based at Central and is now at Marine. Personally I'd hope this allows some buses to move to Lothian country to replace 841-846 and others to remove 1141-1151 from service to improve capacity. Although ideally, we would see these new buses allow service 1 to be increased to double decker bus operation.
I didn’t realise. It must’ve been a short visit to Central :)

I agree I think by then, 841-846 will be ready to be sold on. I don’t know if they will send more ex London buses to Lothian Country or send some of the 351-389 & 391-400 batch.

I agree about the 1, it would be nice if they were double decker especially since the 22 route change.

I think it would be good if 25 Volvo BZLs went to Marine and 25 went to Central with the 64 plate B5TLs going to Central. 6-10 of the 11 plates could go to Lothian Country replacing 841-846 with others going to Longstone to replace 1141-1153 (The ones that are in service), you could say that "they spent a lot of money converting them" but they are too small and it wouldn't hurt to sell them, and they will go for more than they would have normally as they were converted. Remember that the only reason 841-846 are with Lothian Country is because they are already painted and they are the best buses currently available. This would also kick start the electrification campaign for Marine.

CSB0241

On Moderation

I agree.
My thoughts;

BZLs newly introduced - fleet numbers span from 301-350
301-325 go to Central
326-350 go to Marine

401-425 go to Central

LCB 841-850 withdrawn & replaced by 351-360
351-360 go to Livingston

ECB 926-950 withdrawn & replaced by 361-385
361-385 go to Musselburgh & North Berwick

1141-1153 withdrawn & replaced by 386-400
386-400 go to Longstone

Whether or not people agree, I’m unsure, but I’m just gonna wait & see

With the 50 new electric buses coming to Edinburgh in spring, I would like to speculate what routes these will run on!

I think these buses will operate on one of the services below:

Services 7, 8, 9, 23 and 24.

I think a likely option would be to convert Services 8 and 9 into fully electric first, as Services 23 and 24 are no longer operating on the EV’s.

As for Service 7, I am unsure of this route operating with the new ordered buses.

stevenedin

My thoughts;

BZLs newly introduced - fleet numbers span from 301-350
301-325 go to Central
326-350 go to Marine

401-425 go to Central

LCB 841-850 withdrawn & replaced by 351-360
351-360 go to Livingston

ECB 926-950 withdrawn & replaced by 361-385
361-385 go to Musselburgh & North Berwick

1141-1153 withdrawn & replaced by 386-400
386-400 go to Longstone

Whether or not people agree, I’m unsure, but I’m just gonna wait & see
That sounds like a good option, although I think that 401-404 & 460-425 are more likely to move to either East coast buses and Lothian Country than some of 351-385 like you said as it would give a bit of extra service time for them as they would only be a year younger than 937-950 at East Coast Buses.

For Lothian Country, some of the ex London buses may be better suited to the routes and the native B9TLs could remain at Lothian or East Coast Buses until the second lot of electric buses allows for them to be withdrawn.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
That sounds like a good option, although I think that 401-404 & 460-425 are more likely to move to either EastCoastbuses and Lothiancountry than some of 351-385 like you said as it would give a bit of extra service time for them as they would only be a year younger than 937-950 at EastCoastbuses.

For Lothiancountry, some of the ex London buses may be better suited to the routes and the native B9TLs could remain at Lothian or EastCoastbuses until the second lot of electric buses allows for them to be withdrawn.
I'd argue that any transfers to East Coast or Lothian Country should be buses with plenty of years left to ensure they last. No point swapping them for buses that'll then be removed from service the next year or two. Looking at 1051-1062, they could last another 7/8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.