• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Glasgow - space for suitcases

och aye

Hi all,

I was wondering if there's enough space/luggage racks take transport 2 large suitcases comfortably on the usual Class 385 trains to Queen Street from Waverley?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I was wondering if there's enough space/luggage racks take transport 2 large suitcases comfortably on the usual Class 385 trains to Queen Street from Waverley?

Cheers
Depends how large, but there are luggage stacks (as opposed to purely overhead racks/shelves) by certain of the doors:

D_Q5G3ZUcAI_6KY.jpeg.jpg
(Source ScotRail Twitter/X page)

och aye

Thanks for the reply. It will be 2 large 23Kg suitcases you would check-in for a plane. I'm heading to the airport to catch a flight. I think as long as I arrive early enough before the train departs we'll (there'll be 2 of us travelling) be able use the racks.

David M

You're fortunate that you're travelling from Edinburgh to Glasgow (assuming you're getting on at Waverley) as the platform is announced long before the train from Glasgow arrives so you can be right at the far end of the 8 coach train before it arrives.
The other direction is a nightmare as at Queen St they wait until the last minute before advising the platform the train is departing from.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You're fortunate that you're travelling from Edinburgh to Glasgow (assuming you're getting on at Waverley) as the platform is announced long before the train from Glasgow arrives so you can be right at the far end of the 8 coach train before it arrives.
The other direction is a nightmare as at Queen St they wait until the last minute before advising the platform the train is departing from.
Queen Street is more consistent than Waverley though, bar two departures all the Edinburgh ScotRail Expresses use 3 & 4.

They share a platform face, so it's easy to just wait at the top end say 10-15 mins before departure time, then its inbound will usually arrive 7-10 mins before departure.

gomango

Queen Street is more consistent than Waverley though, bar two departures all the Edinburgh ScotRail Expresses use 3 & 4.

They share a platform face, so it's easy to just wait at the top end say 10-15 mins before departure time, then its inbound will usually arrive 7-10 mins before departure.
No they often change it at last minute, most of the departures do go from 2,3,4 and 7 though.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
No they often change it at last minute, most of the departures do go from 2,3,4 and 7 though.
Never had anything but 3 and 4 except at the outer margins of the day.

Don't think the usual 8-car can fit in except 3 and 4 and 7 either?

gomango

Never had anything but 3 and 4 except at the outer margins of the day.

Don't think the usual 8-car can fit in except 3 and 4 and 7 either?
I've had a Express Glasgow Edinburgh in 2 before but it was that long ago it could been when they were 7 carriages and not 8. They definitely use 7 regularly as I've got them plenty of times from there.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've had a Express Glasgow Edinburgh in 2 before but it was that long ago it could been when they were 7 carriages and not 8. They definitely use 7 regularly as I've got them plenty of times from there.
Other than the 0600 and 1915, everything is booked 3 and 4.

I appreciate in disruption other platforms may see use, especially if there are short forms.

gomango

Other than the 0600 and 1915, everything is booked 3 and 4.

I appreciate in disruption other platforms may see use, especially if there are short forms.
Is it different on a Saturday, as that's when I've seen them more in 7?