• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Glasgow XC Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilmarnocklad

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster so please be gentle!

Am travelling from EDB-GLC in a couple of weeks (off a flight into Edinburgh airport) and am planning (with 3 friends) to get an evening XC from EDB.

We intend to get the XC only 1st anytime tickets (£10). If we miss the XC train can we excess these tickets to FSR STD opens? Is there an admin fee for this or do we just have to pay an excess in the ticket office?

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster so please be gentle!

Am travelling from EDB-GLC in a couple of weeks (off a flight into Edinburgh airport) and am planning (with 3 friends) to get an evening XC from EDB.

We intend to get the XC only 1st anytime tickets (£10). If we miss the XC train can we excess these tickets to FSR STD opens? Is there an admin fee for this or do we just have to pay an excess in the ticket office?

Many thanks!

In theory, no, as TOC-specific tickets cannot be excessed and you'll have to buy new tickets.

In practice, some guards might do it, but don't count on it.

bnm

Established Member
Unfortunately you cannot excess an operator specific ticket up to an Any Permitted one. At least, not officially.....

However both the tickets you mention can be bought on the day prior to boarding, there's no need to buy the XC only 1st Anytime ahead of travel. If you do miss that train then you can just buy the Any Permitted Standard Class tickets.

Oh, and the XC Only 1st Anytime single is £7.50 not £10.

Last edited:

lyesbkz

If penalty fares don't apply, surely as they're Anytime tickets they could be bought on-board? If there are ticket gates couldn't you just buy them at the station prior to departing, that way if you miss the XC you can just buy Any Permitted tickets instead?

Edit: Beaten to it, just slightly!

Kilmarnocklad

The reason why we were going to buy in advance, last time I got the voyager from GLC-EDB in first it was full and standing. I think loads of people have noticed XC undercutting FSR. So therefore wanted seat reservations. Might just buy our ticket on the day as suggested on here. Thanks a million guys! :D

wintonian

Established Member
The reason why we were going to buy in advance, last time I got the voyager from GLC-EDB in first it was full and standing. I think loads of people have noticed XC undercutting FSR. So therefore wanted seat reservations. Might just buy our ticket on the day as suggested on here. Thanks a million guys! :D

I think on XC you can reseve seat up untill 2 hours before the train leaves it's origan station.

wintonian

Established Member
You can reserve up to 10 mins by text prior to it leaving your station on XC

Yes but if the screens aren’t working then it's pointless and I wouldn't want to tell someone who may have been on the train for half an hour that I reserved their seat 10min ago.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Unfortunately you cannot excess an operator specific ticket up to an Any Permitted one. At least, not officially.....

However both the tickets you mention can be bought on the day prior to boarding, there's no need to buy the XC only 1st Anytime ahead of travel. If you do miss that train then you can just buy the Any Permitted Standard Class tickets.

Oh, and the XC Only 1st Anytime single is £7.50 not £10.

Hmmm. :| Unfortunately you are incorrect. There are some quite significant price increases on September 4th! :( (The OP is travelling after this date.)

• SDS £5.00 - now £7
  • SDR £6.00 - now £9 (50% increase!)
  • FDS £7.50 - now £10
  • FDR £9.00 - now £13.50 (50% increase!)

Those price increases are ENORMOUS! Although, being realistic, the "XC Only" fares were always too cheap and were bound to go up. :cry:

The slightly cheaper "EC Only" fares have also been scrapped because only 1 service a day now operates in each direction. :cry:

bnm

Established Member
Hmmm. Unfortunately you are incorrect. There are some quite significant price increases on September 4th! (The OP is travelling after this date.)

Yes, my bad. Apologies to the OP. I neglected to check NFM10. :oops:

Kilmarnocklad

Have spoken to my pals, we will now buy on the day.
If we ARE running late and board the XC and buy on board, will the TM sell us the £10 ticket? Or can they insist we buy the dearer fully interavailable 1st open?

All Line Rover

Established Member
If we ARE running late and board the XC and buy on board, will the TM sell us the £10 ticket? Or can they insist we buy the dearer fully interavailable 1st open?

There is no reason why he shouldn't sell you the "XC Only" ticket as you are on an XC train. But do make sure you approach the TM straight away, so that he doesn't think you're trying to dodge paying the fare!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The term "Open" is no longer used and has been replaced by "Anytime". The tickets quoted above are Anytime tickets. If the journey is wholly on XC an XC ticket will be sold. Available on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.