• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Luton or Stevenage: Confused! What am I missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejstubbs

I'm looking to book travel from Edinburgh to the Luton/Stevenage area next week, out of the 28th, return on the 29th. The times of the available Easyjet flights to Luton on the 28th are no good, but the flight times back on the 29th would work. So I go to National Rail enquiries and look at trains EDB-SVG. Out on the 28th, return on the 29th I can get an off-peak single EDB-SVG for £67.65, and an advance on the way back for £67.50. However, if I search for just EDB-SVG ie no return trip then the best it offers for the EDB-SVG leg is an advance for £81.50. Eh? For the return trip I'm looking at the two single tickets option, so as far as I understand it there's no linkage between the two tickets. It's exactly the same service on the way south: change at Newark North Gate. So why doesn't it offer me the off-peak fare if I'm just going one way? Is there some rule that I'm not aware of?

UPDATE: VTEC's web site doesn't offer the off-peak fare at all. Even more confused!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The off-peak single you're looking at is known as a "half saver", being half the price of a super off-peak (saver, in the old terminology) return. It is only available for purchase as part of a return journey though, so you cannot buy it as a standalone single ticket. If you are only making a single journey you can't buy it, and the full fare super off-peak single is a lot more expensive (£128.10), so the fares you're being shown are correct.

As an aside, if you're intending to make that return trip you may as well buy the super off-peak return, priced at £135.30, which doesn't tie you to a specific train.

Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I'm looking to book travel from Edinburgh to the Luton/Stevenage area next week, out of the 28th, return on the 29th. The times of the available Easyjet flights to Luton on the 28th are no good, but the flight times back on the 29th would work. So I go to National Rail enquiries and look at trains EDB-SVG. Out on the 28th, return on the 29th I can get an off-peak single EDB-SVG for £67.65, and an advance on the way back for £67.50. However, if I search for just EDB-SVG ie no return trip then the best it offers for the EDB-SVG leg is an advance for £81.50. Eh? For the return trip I'm looking at the two single tickets option, so as far as I understand it there's no linkage between the two tickets. It's exactly the same service on the way south: change at Newark North Gate. So why doesn't it offer me the off-peak fare if I'm just going one way? Is there some rule that I'm not aware of?

UPDATE: VTEC's web site doesn't offer the off-peak fare at all. Even more confused!

Without checking, I'm thinking that one part of the return journey is an online only single, which can only be sold with another of the same and/or and advance to form a return itinerary.

Artic Troll beat me to it and much more neatly.

ejstubbs

The off-peak single you're looking at is known as a "half saver", being half the price of a super off-peak (saver, in the old terminology) return. It is only available for purchase as part of a return journey though, so you cannot buy it as a standalone single ticket. If you are only making a single journey you can't buy it, and the full fare super off-peak single is a lot more expensive (£128.10), so the fares you're being shown are correct.

Thanks for explaining this! It would be helpful if this was explained somewhere on the National Rail web site - I did look quite hard before asking on here.

I'm still slightly puzzled as to why VTEC's own web site didn't offer the off-peak single as part of the return journey, though.

najaB

Veteran Member
As an aside, if you're intending to make that return trip you may as well buy the super off-peak return, priced at £135.30, which doesn't tie you to a specific train.
Saver half tickets aren't train specific though, or are they?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for explaining this! It would be helpful if this was explained somewhere on the National Rail web site - I did look quite hard before asking on here.

I think part of the problem is that the 'saver half' is not really a standard product and is not offered by all TOCs. So rather than confuse everyone 'National Rail' possibly prefer to leave it to chance...

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Saver half tickets aren't train specific though, or are they?

Saver half tickets aren't, but the Advance ticket for the way back is. And if you're going to buy two saver halves, you may as well buy the return as you'd get more money back through Delay Repay if you're heavily delayed.

ejstubbs said:
I'm still slightly puzzled as to why VTEC's own web site didn't offer the off-peak single as part of the return journey, though.

It does on the VTEC website.

It won't on other TOC websites, e.g. Virgin Trains West Coast.

najaB

Veteran Member
Saver half tickets aren't, but the Advance ticket for the way back is. And if you're going to buy two saver halves, you may as well buy the return as you'd get more money back through Delay Repay if you're heavily delayed.
Right. Had missed that the Advance was on the way back. Agree totally that ideally you want to have the flexibility on the return portion of the journey. Good point about Delay Repay as well. :)

ejstubbs

It does on the VTEC website.

It won't on other TOC websites, e.g. Virgin Trains West Coast.

Ah, I see it now - it only admits to being a super off-peak when you roll your mouse over it. I think the way it's presented on the National Rail web site is much easier to understand. Still, I've learned something useful today!

Status
Not open for further replies.