• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Tour Operators: Bright Bus, Lothian (Majestic, Three Bridges) etc.

Driver362

Agreed, If any vehicles is looked after it'll continue to provide reliable service, perhaps a good example of that is First Aberdeen's remaining B10BLE's which are not too far off 20 years old all pretty much run like they've just came out the box.

In terms of actual breakdowns at BBT i believe it was just one DAF on Waverly bridge so far. Although there has been false claims that two of the Trident's broke down when they didn't.
Ahh the b10 ble fantastic bus to drive, had some rfs reg ones at Larbert and Aberdeen reg ones with the Wright body (better looking imoh) couldn't believe everything still worked comfy drivers seat and iirc sutrak heating? I had a few favourite but I think it was 62202 / 62203 went like the clappers. Withdrawn far to soon IMHO. Stand corrected on Fleet no's been a while! Or was it 62202/3??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Ahh the b10 ble fantastic bus to drive, had some rfs reg ones at Larbert and Aberdeen reg ones with the Wright body (better looking imoh) couldn't believe everything still worked comfy drivers seat and iirc sutrak heating? I had a few favourite but I think it was 62202 / 62203 went like the clappers. Withdrawn far to soon IMHO. Stand corrected on Fleet no's been a while! Or was it 62202/3??

Would've perhaps been 62203, 62202 stayed in Aberdeen while 62212/3 were Bannockburn vehicles. I recall 62203 quite well, fantastic heating and very quick, although 62201 was the best of the X-ADK's. The Renown's were better built than the W-RFS ALX300's, however that shouldn't take away from the fact that in 12+ years Aberdeen never had any W-RFS long term VOR.
Personally the native Aberdeen B10BLE's were always the better ones. Especially the 2001 builds which all remained in service with Aberdeen until 2018, and 12 of the 19 remain in the fleet at present. Thankfully one of them has now been preserved.

SpeedbirdA350

It looks like both First and Lothian had good numbers over the last coulple of days for the tours. Does help that it's been nice weather though

Journeyman

Established Member
It looks like both First and Lothian had good numbers over the last coulple of days for the tours. Does help that it's been nice weather though

There's plenty of room for both operators in what is a busy and popular market. First have clearly chosen a good target for expansion here - there's considerably less risk to them here than Lothian's moves into the west. Given that they're using older buses on the tours, it's got to be pretty cheap for them to set up and run, and it's guaranteed money.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There's plenty of room for both operators in what is a busy and popular market. First have clearly chosen a good target for expansion here - there's considerably less risk to them here than Lothian's moves into the west. Given that they're using older buses on the tours, it's got to be pretty cheap for them to set up and run, and it's guaranteed money.

Indeed, there may be room for them but every punter they get is one that Lothian isn't - there may be some market growth but mostly it will be abstraction. To be fair to First, it's been a canny move and, as you say, they've spent relatively little to get it off the ground. Once they decided to launch BBT, the only slight surprise has been that they are running them from Livingston rather than trying to sort out a local base but then again, there are benefits to that.

SpeedbirdA350

Yes, the Edinburgh market is big and is growing year on year so there is plenty to go around. I do suspect First thought that their price might drive more to their brand but they will be happy so far with how things have turned out.

Observer

Yes, it was a huge mistake not to convert a few to DDA so they could keep on running for a few more years. Far better than the hard seated 52 plate Scanias!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yes, it was a huge mistake not to convert a few to DDA so they could keep on running for a few more years. Far better than the hard seated 52 plate Scanias!

Those Renown's mentioned all have the same hard seats. Although with a retrim and new foam they're much improved.

overthewater

Established Member
Has anyone seen this company?

Another tour company starting up in Edinburgh

• PM2014236/2 Registered
    AM BUS TOURS LIMITED

Route: Bus Stop ZE, Waterloo Place, Edinburgh to Bus Stop ZK, Waterloo Place, Edinburgh via Queensferry Crossing

Service number: 88D ()

Service type: Excursion or Tour

Effective date: 20 Jul 2019

• PM2014236/1 Registered
    AM BUS TOURS LIMITED

Route: Bus Stop ZK, Waterloo Place, Edinburgh to Bus Stop ZE, Waterloo Place, Edinburgh

Service number: 88A ()

Service type: Excursion or Tour

Effective date: 20 Jul 2019

overthewater

Established Member
However its supposed to be "Effective date: 20 Jul 2019" How did the company get away moving it by a month?

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
I don't think that Bustourant will be giving either BBT or EBT any cause for concern. You're basically handing over good money to have food served to you on board an ex-Lothian Trident as it takes you around Edinburgh.

At £35 for the afternoon tour and £50 for the evening one, my money will be staying firmly in my pocket.

CM

These Bus Bistros/Restraunts or whatever they are supposed to be shouldn't be allowed on the road, they are nothing but a hazzard. There is one in Glasgow and the driver wouldn't go faster than 15mph resulting in a queue of traffic behind. Park the sodding thing at the side of the road and serve people, it doesn't have to be moving.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
These Bus Bistros/Restraunts or whatever they are supposed to be shouldn't be allowed on the road, they are nothing but a hazzard. There is one in Glasgow and the driver wouldn't go faster than 15mph resulting in a queue of traffic behind. Park the sodding thing at the side of the road and serve people, it doesn't have to be moving.

Agree, i don't see the appeal of it. How can you sit on a bus rattling and bumping about why trying to eat or drink.

Volvodart

Established Member
None - just someone on here posted about the registration being competition for BBT.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Agree, i don't see the appeal of it. How can you sit on a bus rattling and bumping about why trying to eat or drink.

You do realise that there are a number of these that have been operating in London for some years now ?