• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Tour Operators: Bright Bus, Lothian (Majestic, Three Bridges) etc.

Bedford OB

I’m sure it was hourly for a few years during the Hall era before COVID. That was the big reason why a second bus was added to the pool from the sole one. It would’ve been the year 650 joined 651 that it started.
It ws indeed hourly at that time, for example in 2019, ex Waverley Bridge hourly 1005 to 1505, then at 1550, 1650, 1750.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stan Drews

Established Member
The Bus and Boat Tour was fine when it used to only run to actually meet the Boats. Then when they rebranded it to 3 Bridges Tour and made it hourly, it was empty a lot of the time. I’m a little surprised it’s gone completely though.
The Bus and Boat Tour will be returning for the summer, primarily to meet with the boats.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The Bus and Boat Tour will be returning for the summer, primarily to meet with the boats.
Out of interest, if this is true, which vehicles will be used? The previous vehicles are being returned to the Edinburgh Tour (232 is still away at the moment) and 905/6 are white.

Edit: I realise now that you work for McGill's. Also, the 3 Bridges Tour did meet with the boats post-covid until it's cancellation, so this McGill's tour will be no different than what was already available.
1713537055919.png

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
That wouldn’t align with what I have been told. It hasn’t gone, but as an Edinburgh Bus Tours service it should have ended.

It will return, but in a different capacity.

232 is getting MOTd at Marine. It’s definitely electric with slight changes to the exterior, with Kleandrive logos over the diesel cap. Looking fine but the sound isn’t nice and it just sounds like a Wright Electroliner.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
224 is away home to Northern Ireland by the looks of it. Currently tracking at the Stena Line Terminal at Cairnryan. Presumably bound for Ballymena?

DunsBus

Established Member
The heat is slowly being turned up...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1713535661589.jpg
    FB_IMG_1713535661589.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 80

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Presumably each year the commercial relationship between the operator of this and the operator of the boat cruise has to be really negotiated and I can assume from this that bright will offering something better than Lothian?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Or maybe Lothian Don't have the drivers to cover this operations?
Or vehicles? Now the Edinburgh, Regal & Sightseeing tours are at pre-covid frequencies they may need all 30 open toppers to operate them, with no spares. This, alongside intended electric conversions.
I have also heard that the 3 Bridges' Tour was a loss maker. If so, I wonder what Bright Bus will do to make it profitable?

buslad1988

Or vehicles? Now the Edinburgh, Regal & Sightseeing tours are at pre-covid frequencies they may need all 30 open toppers to operate them, with no spares. This, alongside intended electric conversions.
I have also heard that the 3 Bridges' Tour was a loss maker. If so, I wonder what Bright Bus will do to make it profitable?
Indeed it carried fresh air most of the time. Bus/boat tour is a very niche market and it’s a trek out to Queensferry. Not to mention the price and the weather - also most people don’t mind sitting on a bus; the same cannot be said for boats!

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It definitely is an interesting move by Bright Bus to take this on. It doesn’t really seem like this fits into a budget operation at all. A niche market for sure and I think one that COVID might have killed off. Won’t cost Bright Bus to get it up and running, but let’s see how long it lasts. I’m not sure it’ll do too well.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Presumably each year the commercial relationship between the operator of this and the operator of the boat cruise has to be really negotiated and I can assume from this that bright will offering something better than Lothian?
I understand the relationship between the owner of Forth Boat Tours (FBT) and Lothian soured, which led to Lothian withdrawing their service and FBT reaching out to Bright Bus.

NorthClyde320

I’ve just noticed that Bright Bus Tours have put their prices up. It used to be £10 for 1 tour and £16 for 2. Now it’s £18 for 1 and £25 for 2. That’s a steep increase. When did this go up?
It's now £16 for 1 tour and £20 for 2 for this year, unsure what the new boat & bridges tour will cost but should be announced soon I think

Andyh82

Established Member
Indeed it carried fresh air most of the time. Bus/boat tour is a very niche market and it’s a trek out to Queensferry. Not to mention the price and the weather - also most people don’t mind sitting on a bus; the same cannot be said for boats!
When a street seller explains the tours to a tourist it’s complicated enough - three tours, 24 hour tickets, 48 hours, tickets that give you entry to the castle etc etc. the boat tour was rarely mentioned as that just introduced even more complexity

Spsf3232

When a street seller explains the tours to a tourist it’s complicated enough - three tours, 24 hour tickets, 48 hours, tickets that give you entry to the castle etc etc. the boat tour was rarely mentioned as that just introduced even more complexity
They get a percentage of attraction sales so that's why they want to push those

The bright bus bridges service starts on the 1st of June.

Bus registration details​

• Registration numberPM0000923/370
  • Licence NumberPM0000923
  • Variation number
  • StatusNew
  • Service number.Bright Bus Boat & Bridges Tour
  • Service type
  • Start pointEdinburgh, Waterloo Place
  • Finish pointSouth Queensferry, Hawes Pier
  • ViaQueensferry Road, Dean Bridge
  • Date received19 Apr 2024
  • Effective date01 Jun 2024