• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Election 2024: Predict your local seats

nw1

Established Member
Probably worth splitting this out into a new thread, to avoid clogging up the main election thread.

Would be interesting to see what people's thoughts are on local seats and which way they will swing.

So for the general south Hampshire area:

New Forest West and East - Con hold. These have always been Conservative and are predominantly rural with only small towns.
Winchester - Lib Dem gain, with substantial swing and majority. Con majority last time was under 1000, plus incumbent Steve Brine is going anyway.
Southampton Test - Labour hold. Has been Labour since 1997, no reason for that to change.
Southampton Itchen - Labour gain. The more socially-conservative half of the city; the university for example is in Test. Even still it's the kind of seat which I suspect Boris appealed to and is much less likely to vote Tory now he's gone. Plus incumbent Royston Smith is going. Was Labour until 2015, as well.
Romsey and Southampton North - strongly swinging away from the Conservatives as it's a Remain-trending area, however the Con majority is still pretty large. I'll say Con hold, but with small majority.
Eastleigh - more difficult as it was Lib Dem for a good while. Lib Dems still control the council. However Tory majorities in recent years have been quite large, and it's perhaps the sort of seat which has trended Tory in recent years. On the other hand the MP is a first-timer and is not particularly well known. Will say Con hold, but with a much reduced majority.
Hamble Valley [NEW] - the more affluent and slightly more rural part of Eastleigh, including Hedge End. I'll say Con win, but not with a vast majority.
Fareham and Waterlooville - Braverman's seat. Con hold, sadly, though with reduced but still substantial majority.
Gosport - it seems like the sort of place Labour ought to win but they never seem to. Always been Conservative in recent times. So Con hold, but again small majority.
Portsmouth North - Mordaunt's seat. Personal popularity will work for her, I suspect, so I'm going to say she will hold it, but with only a small majority.
Portsmouth South - Labour hold. Has trended Labour in recent years and nothing to suggest that will stop now.
Havant - Con hold, with fairly large majority. Again the sort of seat Labour could have picked up but never had. A fairly socially conservative area by all accounts.

So overall I suspect the Tories will do well in this area, losing only Winchester and Itchen. But it is one of the more Tory-leaning areas of the country.

(All done without checking the odds, I will do so now and see if the bookies agree...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
The Isle of Wight is a difficult one as the single constituency has been split in two. West is likely to remain Conservative as their candidate is the existing MP who has name recognition, for good or bad, and there is no obvious challenging party, even though Labour seems to have a reasonably good candidate.

East is more of a problem and could have been a Labour gain, particularly if Reform took a proportion of the Essex-on-Sea residents’ votes from the Conservatives. However, they have chosen (one local website with a Conservative-linked editor has said ‘imposed’) a candidate that is probably popular with some activists, but not likely to be so with many swing voters: she is a blind transgender lesbian. Now, I have no problem with any of that, but I can foresee lots of surreptitious whispers suggesting that being blind would make it impossible for her to do her job (don’t mention David Blunkett) or that she is only interested in pushing trans rights…they probably won’t mention that she does appear to be a disability campaigner and would probably be a boon to the Commons in that area. I am afraid that I expect it to be a Conservative hold, even if Reform put up a competent candidate.

Some people may think that I am being cynical, nasty or even discriminatory, but I am just reporting what will be, in my option, the attitude of the voters, unpalatable as it may be. For myself, I will vote for her if I think there is a chance of her being elected, but if it looks a lost cause I will go Green.

telstarbox

Established Member
In Kent:

The string of less affluent seats - Dartford, Gravesham, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham, East Thanet and Dover all go to Labour (as they were in the Blair years).
Sittingbourne & Sheppey is similar to the above seats but has some fractious local politics so could go either way.
Canterbury stays as Labour.
Folkestone and Hythe - uncertain due to a large Green presence, who won't win but could split the anti-Tory vote.
Not sure about Ashford - the seat has 'shrunk' as Ashford has expanded, lots of new build housing so aspirational Tory types?

Herne Bay & Sandwich - not really a coherent area, hard to say.
Maidstone & Malling is very hard to call. Maidstone itself is Labour/Lib Dem territory but the village parts of the seat are quite traditional.
Faversham & Mid Kent, Sevenoaks and Tonbridge - again smaller towns with traditional villages - can't see these changing from Tory but their majorities will be cut down.
Tunbridge Wells could go Lib Dem on a good night for them.
Weald of Kent is formed from the rural parts of other seats - nailed on Tory.

So out of 18 Kent seats Labour could win 9, Conservatives 8-9, Lib Dems 0-1. Reform UK will probably get into double figures in some of these but obviously won't win.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
It being in July probably means the Greens taking the new Bristol central constituency a little less likely as whilst students can stay registered in their university town and do a postal vote, they are also able to be registered at home at the same time and make a choice where to vote- the most likely choice in the summer presumably being at home where they already will be!

In my actual constituency, Bristol North West (thanks to the boundary changes again), I suspect will end up being Labour despite some substantial areas of Tory support and some very Green voting areas too (if you actually look at the ward by ward political makeup of the constituency it is a bit all over the place!).

telstarbox

Established Member
It being in July probably means the Greens taking the new Bristol central constituency a little less likely as whilst students can stay registered in their university town and do a postal vote, they are also able to be registered at home at the same time and make a choice where to vote- the most likely choice in the summer presumably being at home where they already will be!

In my actual constituency, Bristol North West (thanks to the boundary changes again), I suspect will end up being Labour despite some substantial areas of Tory support and some very Green voting areas too (if you actually look at the ward by ward political makeup of the constituency it is a bit all over the place!).
I think one of the pollsters analysed student vote a few years ago and concluded that it only affects a handful of constituencies. In most university cities students are spread over more than one seat, they don't all turn out compared to 'full time' residents and they don't all vote the same way.

Class 466

Established Member
Ashford is being redrawn and loses Tenterden (a huge Tory voting area) so will be far more Labour leaning than before. Still would be shocked if Damian Green lost his seat.

Gloster

Established Member
Ashford is being redrawn and loses Tenterden (a huge Tory voting area) so will be far more Labour leaning than before. Still would be shocked if Damian Green lost his seat.

I think that the changes are now fixed are now decided and the coming election will be held on them; it was only by-elections before the general election that were held on the old boundaries. Ashford will lose a lot to the Weald of Kent but gain a couple of wards from Folkestone & Hythe.

170TurboFan

North Norfolk - Lib (Con at Present)
Broadland - Con Hold
Norwich North - Lab (Con at Present)
Norwich South - Lab Hold
West Norfolk - Con Hold
Mid Norfolk - Con Hold
Electoral Calculus currently predicts Lab for Broadland but I am less convinced. My area (North Norfolk) only lost to a long Lib Dem hold of 18 years in 2019 by a small ish percentage. I suspect that will be reversed this time.

Thirteen

Established Member
Kensington I think will flip back to Labour mostly because the last time it was 150 votes between Labour and the Conservatives.

London and the home counties will be interesting to watch, I think we could see a lot of the Tory seats go to Lib Dems and Labour.

Brighton Pavilion will be interesting, will people stick with the Greens or will they flip to Labour?

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
East Ren.. hard to say. It's gone SNP > Tory > SNP in recent years but I feel a sneaking suspicion that it'll a Labour seat come the morning of July 5th.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
York Central: Labour Hold, we've been a Labour stronghold for decades.
York Outer: Labour Gain (from Conservative) as polls are predicting as much

SteveM70

Established Member
Calder Valley will be a Labour win. It’s just a shame that the incumbent Tory isn’t standing as watching him get beat after 14 years of him ignoring our part of the constituency, grandstanding for the cameras, lying to his constituents and accepting dodgy Russian-backed donations would’ve been lovely

nw1

Established Member
Moving a bit north and east from my immediate local area, I'd guess that the rest of Hampshire will remain solid Tory, so there will be only 4 non-Tory seats in the county (Southampton Test and Itchen, Winchester and Portsmouth South).

Perhaps a bit more of interest in western Surrey.

Esher and Walton will I suspect go Lib Dem, given the small majority last time - though one-question mark is how much people were put off by Raab, who is not standing this time.
Guildford has been Lib Dem, briefly, before and being a university town and quite cosmopolitan place I suspect will go Lib Dem with a fairly decent majority. Additionally, the current Tory is a first-timer, the long-standing previous Tory MP having stood unsuccessfully as an independent last time.
Woking is also a pretty large place and is well-connected, plus the council have been Lib Dem recently. I'm going to be a bit bold and predict a narrow Lib Dem win here.
Godalming and Ash - difficult one. I'm going to say Hunt will win the seat, but with a tiny three-figure majority.

All other Surrey seats to be Tory holds.

Moving down to West Sussex, the interesting development of late has been the gain of Worthing council by Labour. So I'd expect a Labour gain of East Worthing and Shoreham, which has been trending that way recently (even though the Tories increased their majority slightly last time). Plus the incumbent Tim Loughton is standing down.

West Worthing seems too safe Tory, so Tory hold for that one.

As for the rest of Sussex, I'd say Crawley and Hastings to be Labour gains, Lewes to be a Lib Dem gain (and it's been a very surprising Tory hold of late in a Remain-leaning seat), rest to remain as now.

Moving west, Bournemouth is the other interesting one. Labour could well gain both seats but if Tobias Ellwood is standing he could hold East because he has a reputation for being a bit more independent-minded than your average Tory. West is Conor Burns who trends more right-wing but has a larger majority.
I'm going to say Labour will take one of the Bournemouth seats while the Tories will hold the other. I'll say Labour gain East and the Tories hold West. The West half seems to be more affluent in any case.

Rest of Dorset - Tory holds.

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
I live just north of Stockport, in Stockport constituency. All Labour seats will be held, including Manchester Withington, with Rochdale regained by Labour. Labour to win back Heywood & Middleton and win Sale & Altricham West for the first time (now that Graham Brady is standing down). Labour also win back Bury and Bolton seats, Leigh and High Peak, and Crewe & Nantwich. All other Tory seats in Cheshire to remain Tory.

LibDems to gain Cheadle and Hazel Grove.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
My current constituency is Clwyd West, MP is arch-Brexiter David Jones (was part of the David Davis ExitEU negotiating team).
In the redistribution of Welsh seats we become part of Clwyd East, and the prospective Conservative MP is the Vale of Clwyd incumbent, James Davies, who also voted Leave in the referendum.
I'm not voting for any Brexiteers or Nationalists of any hue.

I'd expect all the NE Wales seats to go red, also those on the Wirral that went blue last time.
The Lib-Dems have a long haul to get back to where they were before 2015, but hoping they recover somewhat as east Wales was a good area for them (Powys etc), and I am drawn to their middle way.

nw1

Established Member
Calder Valley will be a Labour win. It’s just a shame that the incumbent Tory isn’t standing as watching him get beat after 14 years of him ignoring our part of the constituency, grandstanding for the cameras, lying to his constituents and accepting dodgy Russian-backed donations would’ve been lovely

At least the Tories didn't manage to take it in 2005. You were saved from a particularly grisly fate by just under 800 swing voters deciding to pick Labour over the Tories. ;)

Having said that, I've read a bit more on Whittaker and he seems at least as bad, if not worse, than said 2005 candidate.

I'd agree it's likely to be a Labour gain. The Tories barely held it in 2017 and I suspect only Boris saved it for them in 2019.

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
I'm expecting Taunton & Wellington to be a Lib Dem gain and they will be the tactical vote to oust the Tory incumbent Rebecca Pow. My family home constituency of Bexleyheath & Crayford I can see become a Labour gain; the Tory incumbent Sir David Evenett is standing down which loses any incumbent bonus there and the seat was Labour from 1997-2005, however a big swing is still required this time.

nw1

Established Member
I'd expect all the NE Wales seats to go red, also those on the Wirral that went blue last time.

If I remember right there were no Tory gains on the Wirral. Wirral West went Tory for a time but that was earlier, when the delightful Esther McVey took it between 2010-15.

Irascible

Established Member
My constituency went from +18k Tory to +8k LibDem in 2021 (or 2022, I can't even remember ) and for it's sins is having it's borders redrawn. I actually don't know who's likely to win, although the LibDem incumbent has been making friends & the Tory candidate does a good impression of a slug so I'd think he has a good chance. There's been a recent campaign in the broader area for everyone who doesn't want to vote Tory to have a ballot to decide who they're all going to vote for, so there could be some upsets coming down this way.

In the last GE Labour was in 2nd here, so the LDs have bounced back pretty well.

Going to say Croydon South con hold, narrowly , Croydon East (former Croydon central )Lab hold , Croydon North lab hold. Outer London tories tend to be pretty sticky. The only complication for
Labour could be candidates running on Gaza but that didn't really show at local elections

TheSmiths82

Some of my local areas where I either know the area inside out, or have direct connections to it:-

Manchester Withington - This is a strange one as it was Tory until 1987, then Labour had it for a years before flipping to the Lib Dems for a couple of terms. This area has one of the highest amounts of graduates in the country, and also has a large student population. It also has some of the wealthiest parts of Manchester in it. It is almost certain it will be a labour hold, but Gaza might hurt it and as it has such a huge Labour majority people are more likely to cast a protest vote. I think labour will still win massively here, but with a reduce majority in favour of the Green party. - Labour with a reduced majority

Stretford and Urmston
- a much more average area, with some very wealthy areas amongst some poor ones. More conservative than Withington and also slightly less educated. There are also some quite poor areas in this ward. Labour still got a huge majority at the last bi-election (almost 70%) and I see no reason this will change. - Labour

Cheadle
- The area borders Manchester Withington but demographically the area is very different. Public transport is very patchy and unless you live near Gatley or Cheadle Hulme train stations transport into Manchester City Centre is not great. The area is just middle class suburbia and contains some of the wealthiest parts of Greater Manchester. Many people in this area still think they live in Cheshire.... The conservative won it by a small margin in 2019, but I think this year it will flip to the Lib Dems who almost won it in 2019 anyway. Despite the area being very conservative compared to Greater Manchester as a whole, the area was pro remain (as far as I remember) and I that will damage the Tories here. Lib Dems - Small swing to Lib Dem from the Conservatives.

Stockport - This area is very mixed with some wealthy areas and some areas of extreme poverty. The town is increasingly becoming a commuter town for people who work in Manchester City Centre and as a result it is becoming younger and more educated. Labour won it with a large margin last time (52% of the vote, with the Tories on 27%) and I suspect Labour will dramatically increase their majority in this ward. Labour with an increased majority.

Manchester Central
- This is your average inner city ward. It has some very highly educated and wealthy people living in the city centre, with some of the highest property prices outside of London. It has also has extreme levels of poverty. The population is generally younger than average with a lot of ethnic minorities. It is one of the strongest Labour wards in the entire country (70% in 2019). I think the Gaza situation will hurt Labour here, but I think there will also be a lot of tactical voting going on. It is quite difficult to predict and with all the new skyscrapers full of apartments the demographics will have changed a bit since 2019. It will be certainly be a Labour hold, but I have no idea which way. Labour

Hazel Grove
- I don't know a huge amount about this area, but it contains a lot of rural and wealthy areas and is very much middle class middle England. It borders Derbyshire and demographically it shares a bit in common compared to more central areas of Greater Manchester. It is William Wragg's seat and I think his behaviour will hurt the Conservatives here. They won with a 10% margin over the Lib Dems in 2019. Looking at the local election results though, I think the Lib Dems will do very well here combined with tactical voting. Labour have pretty much no chance here and I think that will benefit the Lib Dems further. Lib Dems - With a small swing from the Tories (I think it will be close).

Salford and Eccles
- This is an area which is mostly urban with some green spots. It is a traditional Labour area with lower average educational achievement and lower car ownership etc. The area is proudly working class is typical of many Labour heartland areas in the North. Compared to many central Manchester areas the Tories do well here, but Labour still usually get more than double the vote share so the Tories have no chance of winning. I seem to remember it was a Brexit voting area (I am happy to be corrected). The area does contain Media City and Salford Quays which has a lot of highly educated graduates in it. The has a higher amount of right wing vote share too, and I think some people who will not vote Tory under any circumstance will happily vote for Reform. It is quite a difficult area to know which way the swing will go, but Labour will certainly win in July - Labour

Last edited:

urbophile

Established Member
Liverpool is almost certain to be solidly Labour again. There is a strong Green presence in a few areas but not enough to swing it. My constituency of Garston is held by Blairite Maria Eagle; the boundaries have slightly changed to remove Halewood, which is in Knowsley borough and hence tended towards Brexit. I'm fairly sure she will hold the seat but will face strong competition from her Liverpool Independents challenger (left-wing ex-Labour) so it will be interesting to watch. Lib Dems are getting their confidence back locally but I don't think they are strong enough anywhere to gain a parliamentary seat. As for the city region as a whole, I think the only Tory seat currently is Southport and I would be very surprised if they cling on.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We find ourselves in the new constituency of East Exeter and Exmouth and I’m struggling to work out which candidate to vote for (I will be voting to cause the current government the maximum possible amount of damage with my one vote).

Does anyone have any thoughts?