• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electric loco's at terminal stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

When the first AC loco's arrived at a terminal station, before push pull, did another loco form the train engine, or were the coaches hauled out to a depot? And what hauled them?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
When the first AC loco's arrived at a terminal station, before push pull, did another loco form the train engine, or were the coaches hauled out to a depot? And what hauled them?

Thanks.
At most terminal stations the locomotive was uncoupled from the coaches, a different engine attached to the other end and worked the next train. The locomotive at the buffers followed the train as it left as far as the signal at the end of the platform, where it was either routed to the depot or a siding. At Manchester Piccadilly it was normally sent to the Midland Engine Siding (between the fast and slow lines outside Mayfield) and then in due course reversed back onto a new train which had arrived later. Some care needed to be taken with the Class 87 which could not be used on vacuum-braked stock. The coaches were only taken to the depot at the end of the day, normally.

Midland Engine Siding (by then called just Engine Siding because the East Engine Siding no longer existed) shown in the attached signal diagram (https://www.simsig.co.uk/Media/Wiki//simulations/manchesterpiccadilly/manchester-piccadilly-1990-2007-signal-number-plan.pdf):
1658145151707.png[URL

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member

Thanks.
Following on from jfollows excellent reply: Generally (at the beginning and end of the day) the coaches would have been hauled to/from the carriage depots by an electric loco, particularly at places like Euston and Manchester where the depots were a reasonable distance from the station. If it was a short distance a diesel shunter might have been used - most large stations had a shunting loco or two for 'station pilot' duties.

The West Midlands area WCML carriage depot was/is at Oxley near Wolverhampton (on the ex-GWR route to Shrewsbury) and originally the line to that from Wolverhampton station wasn't electrified, so diesels had to be used on the ECS workings between the two. Sensibly, in the early 1970s the line was electrified as far as Oxley using low-speed 'trolley wire' OHLE.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Thanks.

This has been discussed in some depth in this thread:

Revaulx

At most terminal stations the locomotive was uncoupled from the coaches, a different engine attached to the other end and worked the next train. The locomotive at the buffers followed the train as it left as far as the signal at the end of the platform, where it was either routed to the depot or a siding. At Manchester Piccadilly it was normally sent to the Midland Engine Siding (between the fast and slow lines outside Mayfield) and then in due course reversed back onto a new train which had arrived later. Some care needed to be taken with the Class 87 which could not be used on vacuum-braked stock. The coaches were only taken to the depot at the end of the day, normally.

Midland Engine Siding (by then called just Engine Siding because the East Engine Siding no longer existed) shown in the attached signal diagram (https://www.simsig.co.uk/Media/Wiki//simulations/manchesterpiccadilly/manchester-piccadilly-1990-2007-signal-number-plan.pdf):
View attachment 117867[URL
It followed the train at a scarily rapid pace. If the train had made an emergency brake application it would have got extremely messy.

MisterSheeps

At Manchester Piccadilly, at least one of the platform pairs (5 & 6) had a crossover near the buffers for engine release, not sure if it still has ... was this used for electric engine runround?
Did any release lines (centre line of 3 between platform lines) exist for electric locos?

jfollows

Established Member
At Manchester Piccadilly, at least one of the platform pairs (5 & 6) had a crossover near the buffers for engine release, not sure if it still has ... was this used for electric engine runround?
Did any release lines (centre line of 3 between platform lines) exist for electric locos?
When I was a regular user of Manchester Piccadilly 1973-1980, this crossover was used to release the diesel engine from the Harwich Boat Train to run round its stock and take it back again later in the day, see #8 . What is telling in retrospect was that at that time there was no problem dedicating two platforms to this one train for a period of time - the coaches themselves had exclusive use of platform 5 for two hours but also platform 6 had to be free for some of this time to allow the crossover to be used.

However, to answer the question, at the time I never knew this crossover to be used for electric engines in the same way, it was much easier to use the "top and tail" approach described earlier for these. It's not to say it couldn't be used this way, I just never saw it.

Springs Branch

Established Member
I remember that crossover near the buffers at Piccadilly 5/6, and wondered at the time whether it ever got used.

I never saw it in action, and recall concluding back then that it was very rarely used on account of (1) electrically-hauled trains generally seeming to pull up a bit too close to the buffers for the release move to be possible, and (2) the healthy patina of rust on the rails.

I do remember the Harwich Boat Train stock sitting in Piccadilly for its afternoon siesta, but must not have been there at the right time to see the incoming loco being taken off. @jfollows's comments make perfect sense, as the ER loco was meant to be be used for the return working.

I also remember the electric locos following the departing trains down the platform at a fair lick, and apparently smart work by the power box to get it out of the platform and into the engine siding asap.

jfollows

Established Member
Not being familiar with Man Picc, this is only a question/observation; was the said crossover 'wired'?
It's not an unreasonable question to which I don't know the answer definitely, but I think it extremely likely that it was wired and I continue under that assumption unless and until someone tells me they know otherwise!

Revaulx

@jfollows was your era using Piccadilly too late for the early evening train to St Pancras that used Platform 10 or 11? I remember it from the early 70s; it was invariably a Midland Lines 45, which must have worked the train in from far afield. I don’t think there was a crosssover anywhere other than 5/6; maybe the 08 that appeared from time to time was used to carry out some (relatively) complex shunting?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I believe the crossover is still there and may be used if there is some loco-hauled special. I don't know if it is or was wired.

Soon after it ceased to be regularly used, it was banned for the locomotive to follow the train out to the starting signal, presumably because without regular practice drivers might be more likely to misjudge it if it was needed. When allowed the move had to be made immediately or not at all, otherwise another train could be signalled into the platform with the risk of head-on collision with the locomotive.

Snow1964

Established Member
I have a vague recollection that Liverpool Street didn’t originally have its middle road wired, but might have been added when electric locos took over south of Ipswich in 1985, but the loco release went during the rebuild few years later (although two loco release crossovers were shown on the published plans for rebuilt station that were widely in magazines late 1980s when rebuild started.

jfollows

Established Member
@jfollows was your era using Piccadilly too late for the early evening train to St Pancras that used Platform 10 or 11? I remember it from the early 70s; it was invariably a Midland Lines 45, which must have worked the train in from far afield. I don’t think there was a crosssover anywhere other than 5/6; maybe the 08 that appeared from time to time was used to carry out some (relatively) complex shunting?
During my era for sure.
The wide platform between platforms 10 & 11 was a road, which incidentally provided a totally barrier-free exit route from the station also, and platform 10 was only used during busy periods (but for passenger trains). Its first use during the afternoon/evening peak was for the 16:10 to Macclesfield, which I used regularly, and I'd sit on it and observe the comings and goings on platform 11, which was to load 1M25 18:08 Parcels to Saint Pancras. I think the stock for this came, in part, from 5M54 13:27 Nunnery CS to Longsight, on which I once snagged a ride in the back cab of the Class 25, and the stock was probably shunted into platform 11 later in the afternoon after 4V21 15:21 Parcels to Bristol left, but the locomotive was 0M84 17:44 Longsight-Piccadilly.
There was no other crossover between platforms, and platform 12 was an oily slick by then and probably completely out of use but with the rails in place still, they were removed later as shown by the diagram above, which post-dates the extension of platforms 13 and 14 which required the severing of direct routes out of the higher numbered platforms to the layout we pretty much see today once platform 12 was reinstated.

EDIT In the 6/4/74 to 4/5/75 timetable, during my era, the stock for 1M84 18:06 Piccadilly - Saint Pancras (changed to 1M25 in later timetables, hence the inconsistencies above) was provided by 5M84 15:21 ECS from Longsight which ran into platform 12 with its diesel engine on front and "Shunts to platform 11" presumably to release the engine.

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member
At Glasgow Central some diesel-hauled services (eg Stranraer or Carlisle via Dumfries) were propelled out to the Centre Sidings where the loco ran round and propelled the stock back into the platform, so saving an engine, but I don't recall electrically-hauled trains doing this, these were always re-engined; It was a very efficient operation as locos which had worked overnight freights to Mossend Yard or Coatbridge FLT then ran light to Central for passenger trains during the day, and vice versa in the evening - Not possible now of course ! One of the reasons BR built the Mark 3 DVTs was to avoid such re-engining at terminals and save on loco requirements.

ac6000cw

Established Member
https://www.reddit.com/r/uktrains/comments/qwvgtd/a_switch_with_no_practical_use_between_platforms/ Here's some pictures, It's quite hard to see if the wire is there or not! Sectional Appendix doesn't say the crossover isn't electrified.
If you zoom into the photo, you can see there is double OHLE wire at the buffer stop end (e.g. two sets of dropper wires side-by-side) but a single wire further along after the crossover. The extra wire will be the one that curves away over the crossover.

Also when Piccadilly/London Road was wired in the early 1960s (it's one of the earliest parts of the WCML electrification, which basically proceeded from the Northwest to London) they tended to wire stuff like that as a matter of course.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I remember that crossover near the buffers at Piccadilly 5/6, and wondered at the time whether it ever got used.

I never saw it in action, and recall concluding back then that it was very rarely used on account of (1) electrically-hauled trains generally seeming to pull up a bit too close to the buffers for the release move to be possible, and (2) the healthy patina of rust on the rails.
I did once see the crossover used to release an electric loco during the push pull era, the train stopped short and the loco ran round and coupled to the DVT. Presumably there was a fault on the DVT and no other electric loco readily to hand.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I don’t think there was a crosssover anywhere other than 5/6; maybe the 08 that appeared from time to time was used to carry out some (relatively) complex shunting?
If it wasn't sensible for the train engine to propel the whole train out to a loop and then run it round (as Falcon1200 describes at Glasgow Central), the obvious shunting manoeuvre would be the shunt loco pulling the coaches out then pushing them into a different platform, followed a little while later by the train loco doing the same basic manoeuvre.

Of course up to the point when the Woodhead line was closed and Manchester to Glossop/Hadfield converted to 25kV AC, Piccadilly had both 1500V DC (east side) and 25kV AC (west side) OHLE - just to add to the complications of operating electric traction in the station area :). I lived in Manchester area in 1978/79 - there was a class 76 hauled evening parcels train through Guide Bridge I saw a few times, not sure if that went as far as Piccadilly?

kermit

Not being familiar with Man Picc, this is only a question/observation; was the said crossover 'wired'?
If it wasn't wired, would there have been a sign to warn drivers of electric locos not to proceed across it?

If it wasn't sensible for the train engine to propel the whole train out to a loop and then run it round (as Falcon1200 describes at Glasgow Central), the obvious shunting manoeuvre would be the shunt loco pulling the coaches out then pushing them into a different platform, followed a little while later by the train loco doing the same basic manoeuvre.

Of course up to the point when the Woodhead line was closed and Manchester to Glossop/Hadfield converted to 25kV AC, Piccadilly had both 1500V DC (east side) and 25kV AC (west side) OHLE - just to add to the complications of operating electric traction in the station area :)
So how did the Class 76 and 77s manage with Sheffield trains in Platforms 1 to (?3?)?

jfollows

Established Member
Of course up to the point when the Woodhead line was closed and Manchester to Glossop/Hadfield converted to 25kV AC, Piccadilly had both 1500V DC (east side) and 25kV AC (west side) OHLE - just to add to the complications of operating electric traction in the station area :). I lived in Manchester area in 1978/79 - there was a class 76 hauled evening parcels train through Guide Bridge I saw a few times, not sure if that went as far as Piccadilly?
The evening parcels train would have come from Mayfield or Piccadilly platform 11, so would have had to change loco later, or it was 3E13 20:10 Parcels Bolton-Peterborough which changed to electric loco at Dewsnap Sidings.
In all my time as a regular user of Manchester Piccadilly, I saw a class 76 locomotive in the station only (a) on railtours, one of which I was on and (b) to rescue a DC EMU and drag it home to Reddish once.

If it wasn't wired, would there have been a sign to warn drivers of electric locos not to proceed across it?

So how did the Class 76 and 77s manage with Sheffield trains in Platforms 1 to (?3?)?
East Engine Siding, so could have been a similar top-and-tail arrangement as applied to AC locomotives later (was before my time).

I lived in Manchester area in 1978/79 - there was a class 76 hauled evening parcels train through Guide Bridge I saw a few times, not sure if that went as far as Piccadilly?
My previous answer described an up parcels train but I don't see any down parcels trains in the timetable I have to hand during the evenings.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
My previous answer described an up parcels train but I don't see any down parcels trains in the timetable I have to hand during the evenings.
It could easily have been empty parcels or newspaper vans for I saw at Guide Bridge - I remember it because by that time class 76 workings that far west - other than to get to Reddish TMD - weren't very common in my experience. (The coal trains to Fiddlers Ferry changed traction to/from diesel further east and then went via Stockport Tiviot Dale). So it might have only gone as far as Ashburys maybe?

Springs Branch

Established Member
I lived in Manchester area in 1978/79 - there was a class 76 hauled evening parcels train through Guide Bridge I saw a few times, not sure if that went as far as Piccadilly?
Looking at the 1979 WTT for the Guide Bridge area, two trains in the evening heading from there towards Manchester were:-
  • Dep. 20:22 - 6M32 Scunthorpe to Dallam Branch Sidings (presumably steel traffic). This came via Woodhead and was booked to change from electric to diesel traction at Ashburys Yard before continuing via Philips Park. This was one of the very few timetabled Class 76 workings west of Guide Bridge at the time.
  • Dep. 21:20 - 4H10 Parcels Oldham Clegg St to Manchester Mayfield. This was booked for loco & vans and obviously diesel-hauled throughout. It approached Guide Bridge from Crowthorne Jn, then reversed with a propelling move around the triangle from G/Bdge East to North Jns before proceeding via Ardwick to Mayfield
Is there any chance you might have mixed up the Oldham Parcels with the Class 76-hauled Scunthorpe? Given the vagaries of non-passenger workings, both might well have passed through Guide Bridge around the same time.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Is there any chance you might have mixed up the Oldham Parcels with the Class 76-hauled Scunthorpe? Given the vagaries of non-passenger workings, both might well have passed through Guide Bridge around the same time.
I guess it's possible - it was over 40 years ago and I don't have photographs or notes from then, and I only spent a few evenings at Guide Bridge in the 15 months I lived in Manchester (I was much more likely to be whiling away an evening on the end of a platform at Piccadilly or Victoria - much less of a trek from where I lived :)). I just have an image in my memory of a 76 hauling vans, one of the rare occasions I saw a 76 hauling anything at all.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
At Glasgow Central some diesel-hauled services (eg Stranraer or Carlisle via Dumfries) were propelled out to the Centre Sidings where the loco ran round and propelled the stock back into the platform, so saving an engine, but I don't recall electrically-hauled trains doing this, these were always re-engined;
For several years from '74 there were four daytime Birmingham trains (incl. just one from/to Bristol) and one of these had a long turn round (14.25/17.45) so required to vacate the platform. I recall seeing that propelled to the loops to stable. The Glasgow Central Platform Arrangements book for 1974 shows that loco then worked 16.10 Euston and another loco (off the 15.45 arrival from Euston) then shunted out to propel the train back into the station and worked the 17.45 departure.

Whilst this may well have been the only such instance at Central (no others are listed in the'74 (SX) book) I have commented in a previous thread on the (diesel) propelling moves from Salkeld St to Central to attach vans to the front of overnight services.

Ken H

On Moderation
Mention should also be made of the small pool of locos that were reserved for taking trains from Euston Station to Wembley Carriage Sidings and from Manc Piccadilly to Longsight. I remember them using the older AC locos for that but in inter city livery, but the livery was washed out due to frequent trips through the washers. I am only aware of this practice at Man Picc and Euston. But maybe happened at Glasgow Central and Liverpool LS - I dont know for sure.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Mention should also be made of the small pool of locos that were reserved for taking trains from Euston Station to Wembley Carriage Sidings and from Manc Piccadilly to Longsight. I remember them using the older AC locos for that but in inter city livery, but the livery was washed out due to frequent trips through the washers. I am only aware of this practice at Man Picc and Euston. But maybe happened at Glasgow Central and Liverpool LS - I dont know for sure.
It perhaps changed over the years but in '74 at least the Glasgow Central station pilots were diesels - mainly dual brake class 27s, perhaps because in addition to taking WCML stock to /from Larkfield CS (was Larkfield wired?) they also tripped stock to Bellahouston CS for GSW route workings and parcels vans to Salkeld St CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.