• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electric loco's at terminal stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
At Glasgow Central some diesel-hauled services (eg Stranraer or Carlisle via Dumfries) were propelled out to the Centre Sidings where the loco ran round and propelled the stock back into the platform, so saving an engine, but I don't recall electrically-hauled trains doing this, these were always re-engined; It was a very efficient operation as locos which had worked overnight freights to Mossend Yard or Coatbridge FLT then ran light to Central for passenger trains during the day, and vice versa in the evening - Not possible now of course ! One of the reasons BR built the Mark 3 DVTs was to avoid such re-engining at terminals and save on loco requirements.
It also reduced light loco movements at the station throat. I was involved in diagramming locos in and out of Euston toward the end of (general, conventional) loco haulage and it was getting very difficult to fit in the loco movements among the arrivals and departures.

thedbdiboy

Mention should also be made of the small pool of locos that were reserved for taking trains from Euston Station to Wembley Carriage Sidings and from Manc Piccadilly to Longsight. I remember them using the older AC locos for that but in inter city livery, but the livery was washed out due to frequent trips through the washers. I am only aware of this practice at Man Picc and Euston. But maybe happened at Glasgow Central and Liverpool LS - I dont know for sure.
At the Euston end, Class 81-85 locos were normally used for ECS moves to Wembley sidings until the early 80s; the 84s were all withdrawn by the end of 1980, and at the end on 1982 the class 82s and 83s were stored; but after a while a number were reinstated for use exclusively on the ECS workings. They were limited to 40mph. Initially 83012, 82005 and 82008 were brought back into use; later on they were joined by 83015 which had been in store at Croxley Green; and by 83009 which had been used as a mobile load bank at Longsight. 82008 & 83012 got a repaint into InterCity Executive livery; 83012 was the only loco ever to sport this livery whilst retaining a working 4 character headcode box. The workings ended in 1989 with the advent of DVT operation out of Euston.

Taunton

Established Member
Mention should also be made of the small pool of locos that were reserved for taking trains from Euston Station to Wembley Carriage Sidings and from Manc Piccadilly to Longsight. I remember them using the older AC locos for that but in inter city livery, but the livery was washed out due to frequent trips through the washers. I am only aware of this practice at Man Picc and Euston. But maybe happened at Glasgow Central and Liverpool LS - I dont know for sure.
I can recall Liverpool Lime Street when we first moved from Somerset in the 1960s, that the full range of locos were used to and from the Edge Hill sidings. To the end of steam an 0-6-0T tank might bring in the stock for a Euston electric service, this might be followed by an AC electric loco bringing in the stock for a Newcastle train, which after its departure with a diesel would shunt around onto the Euston train and depart with it. Any combination.

I did write here just a few years ago about departing Euston on a Pendoline at about 9am, exactly parallel with the ecs of the Scottish sleeper, with a Class 86, the full Mk3 sleeper train, plus the incoming loco now on the tail, and that this train on the slow line kept perfectly level with the Pendolino all the way out to Kensal Green; impressive for a 50-plus year old loco.

Status
Not open for further replies.