• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification threads and resources index

Sonik

Was in several years ago when Stalybridge was phase 5 of the NW electrification programme, but I haven't heard anything in recent years to suggest that it's still in?
IDK for sure, the latest scope of TPRU seems to be a secret.

But would seem silly not to include such a short section as a useful diversion route when both sides are electrified.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
The RIA have published a list of Top 10 Routes for electrification in the North of England, alongside a wider map of Decarbonisation Priorities (below0.
View attachment 122363

Their Top 10 Routes (for the North) are:
  • Sheffield - Swinton - Doncaster/Moorthorpe
  • Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Bradford Interchange (Calder Valley)
  • Northallerton - Eaglescliffe - Middlesbrough - Saltburn
  • Manchester - Sheffield (Hope Valley)
  • Leeds - Hull
  • Carlisle - Newcastle (Tyne Valley)
  • Doncaster - Scunthorpe - Barnetby - Immingham
  • Wakefield Kirkgate - Drax/Leeds
  • Sheffield - Worksop - Retford LL - Lincoln - Sleaford - Werrington Jn
  • Leeds - Harrogate - York

Note that some routes may overlap with other regions (e.g. East Midlands).
Article here: https://riagb.org.uk/RIA/Newsroom/Press_Releases/Roadmap for a green railway in the North unveiled.aspx
To me there are too many Priority 1 routes there.

Yes in an ideal world they'd all be done straight away, but that's not going to happen, and by making so many P1, it's not really highlighting the REALLY urgent ones to be done first.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The RIA have published a list of Top 10 Routes for electrification in the North of England, alongside a wider map of Decarbonisation Priorities (below0.
View attachment 122363

Their Top 10 Routes (for the North) are:
  • Sheffield - Swinton - Doncaster/Moorthorpe
  • Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Bradford Interchange (Calder Valley)
  • Northallerton - Eaglescliffe - Middlesbrough - Saltburn
  • Manchester - Sheffield (Hope Valley)
  • Leeds - Hull
  • Carlisle - Newcastle (Tyne Valley)
  • Doncaster - Scunthorpe - Barnetby - Immingham
  • Wakefield Kirkgate - Drax/Leeds
  • Sheffield - Worksop - Retford LL - Lincoln - Sleaford - Werrington Jn
  • Leeds - Harrogate - York

Note that some routes may overlap with other regions (e.g. East Midlands).
Article here: https://riagb.org.uk/RIA/Newsroom/Press_Releases/Roadmap for a green railway in the North unveiled.aspx
I see that the analysis tables in the RIA report incorrectly give the service frequency on the Mid Cheshire line (Chester - Stockport) as only 0.5tph, when it is actually 1tph. This error no doubt contributed to the route being classed as Priority 3.

Wigan - Kirkby has been classed as Priority 1, despite having only 1tph. This appears to be based on an assumption that Kirkby services will continue to work through to Blackburn via Todmorden, which would not necessarily be the case in a future post-electrification timetable. The Kirkby branch might be well suited to battery trains.

Sonik

Yes in an ideal world they'd all be done straight away, but that's not going to happen, and by making so many P1, it's not really highlighting the REALLY urgent ones to be done first.
I agree - a hierarchy/priority list would be far more useful

In decarbonisation terms that could be as simple as counting the number of train service KMs and ranking in order of most electrified.

It seems that most recent electrification programs have been driven by rolling stock renewals, which is kind of counter to having the stock flexibility that leasing provides, not to mention bi-modes.

Greybeard33

Established Member

In decarbonisation terms that could be as simple as counting the number of train service KMs and ranking in order of most electrified.

It seems that most recent electrification programs have been driven by rolling stock renewals, which is kind of counter to having the stock flexibility that leasing provides, not to mention bi-modes.
Tables 4, 6 & 8 in the RIA report do give priority ranking lists for all the routes: 1 - 40 are Priority 1, 41 - 47 are Priority 2 and 48 - 69 are Priority 3 (Middlesbrough - Whitby being No.69).

The report explains how the ranking was determined:
1667500413130.png
1667500559041.png
1667500682403.png
I think this all means that the final priority ranking was down to the authors' subjective judgement!

Mikey C

Established Member
Tables 4, 6 & 8 in the RIA report do give priority ranking lists for all the routes: 1 - 40 are Priority 1, 41 - 47 are Priority 2 and 48 - 69 are Priority 3 (Middlesbrough - Whitby being No.69).

The report explains how the ranking was determined:
View attachment 123141
View attachment 123142
View attachment 123143
I think this all means that the final priority ranking was down to the authors' subjective judgement!
But 40 schemes is far too high for "priority 1", when that's over half of all the schemes and 85% of the ones recommended for electrification!

40 in P1 and only 7 in P2 is an unhelpful way of splitting them.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Agreed. Carlisle to Newcastle Priority 1? That is extracting the urine!

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
January 2023-June 2023 Electrification threads

Reading to Basingstoke electrification?

Questions re Tensorex

Lessons learned and applied from MML and TPU?

Why is Electrification in England so slow?

London Gateway Electrification

Which lines if electrified would reduce the most carbon?

Rail Electrification possible for 95% of UK Freight trains

Electrification and speed improvements to Sheffield by 2026?

Why is new electrification so ugly?

Transports Select Committee writes to Sos demanding concise plan for electrification

Chiltern electrification alternatives being studied.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
12th January 2023, newly published by DfT a decarbonisation document, page 74
Further electrification schemes will be announced shortly.
Rail is already a green mode of transport for passengers and goods with 38 per cent of our track already electrified.54 This is a great starting point, but there is still a lot to do and we will need to use all options available to us to decarbonise the rest of the network.
As we stated in the recent rail white paper, the Williams-Shapps Plan for Rail, electrification – a proven, existing technology – is likely to be the main way of decarbonising the majority of the network.55 Electrification does not merely decarbonise existing rail journeys; it has a clear record of attracting new passengers to rail, the so called "sparks effect", thus also decarbonising journeys previously done by road. We will also pursue options for electrifying the remaining diesel pockets of the third-rail network. Further electrification schemes will be announced shortly.
The rail freight market has changed significantly over the
last twenty years, with a shift from the dominance of coal to intermodal and construction traffic flows.56 The geography of rail freight has subsequently changed, with the consolidation of rail freight on already partially electrified routes. This means that relatively short stretches of new infill electrification could allow a significant rise in the electric haulage of freight. We will pursue such electrification to maximise the benefits gained from rail freight

snowball

Established Member
12th January 2023, newly published by DfT a decarbonisation document, page 74
Not newly published. Right at the start it says crown copyright 2021, and has a foreword by "The Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP, Secretary of State for Transport" - which he hasn't been since October 2022.

It appears to be the document published on 14 July 2021.

Edit: it seems that the surrounding bit of the DfT website has been updated today for the reasons given here.

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
There may well be 38 per cent of UKR which is electrified but there are probably only about as many electric freight locomotives to use it. Ten 88s and probably about twenty class 90s with the balance taken up with a handful of class 92 freight workings.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Traction Overhead Line Electrification - Peter Dearman PWI Lecture 18 January 2023
The lecture begins at about 25:00 in the video, after some non-technical discussion.

I recommend this as a good, clear, down to earth introduction to the basics. Somewhat simplified, because aimed at track engineers, but very wide ranging. Covers grid supply points and phase balancing; track sectioning, booster transformers, neutral sections and section insulators; and the pantograph/OLE interface, including wire tension versus speed and how overlaps work.

Including somehow the fact that electrification of the branch to some places, say Windermere, would allow electric trains to run all the way to somewhere else, in this example Manchester (or beyond).

snowball

Established Member
22 minutes of audio from RSSB, somewhat soporifically presented, on relaxed electrification standards.

I think I would have found it easier to take in as a written transcript.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
22 minutes of audio from RSSB, somewhat soporifically presented, on relaxed electrification standards.

I think I would have found it easier to take in as a written transcript.
Absolutely. However, I am NOT going to offer to transcribe!!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
was any new 25kv OLE energised in 2022?

what is forecast for 2023 (probably not much if any) but plenty in 2024

snowball

Established Member
Glasow-Barrhead is supposed to be completed by the end of 2023.

Colton to Church Fenton is already substantially complete but not due for energisation until 2024 due to tie-in works needed at Christmas/ new year.

Manchester to Stalybridge may be substantially completed this year but is not due for service until 2024 for reasons unclear.

Kettering to Market Harborough was I think due for completion this year but that may have changed following the start and integration of the works to extend to Syston.

2024 should see some completions in Scotland.

snowball

Established Member
Roger Ford devotes a page and a half to the revised standards in his column in the May Modern Railways.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
These are the presentations from the PWI seminar "Electrification: Into the future" at Sheffield in late April 2023 (Moderators please not I will clean up and annotate these later)

PART 1

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
These are the presentations from the PWI seminar "Electrification: Into the future" at Sheffield in late April 2023 (Moderators please not I will clean up and annotate these later)
Skipping to the nub of the matter, did they identify any secured funding?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fpf76JmWDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM7mtcnuw80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU1tqhJhqEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvKoa2B7p5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWMnRrlOezc
Thanks for posting and it continues to amuse me that the PWI are doing so much to promote electrification and not the IET formerly IEE.

mwmbwls

Skipping to the nub of the matter, did they identify any secured funding?
The CILT represntative gave a well anchored presentation that suggested that it would be difficult to secure DFT/Teasury support funding apart from short infills at critical transition points such the life expiry of the 66's. The future would appear to be bi-modes/tri-modes.
Electrification: An Electrified Freight Network - Julian Worth CILT at the PWI

snowball

Established Member
At least one of them emphasized that the industry's got to get costs below £1M/stk for any larger programme.