• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification: Where and When

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
BTW, I thought 185s could use HST/DMU differentials, is that not the case?

As far as I can tell they are dissallowed from using any differential speeds at all, but I only have internet sources of various types.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
As far as I can tell they are dissallowed from using any differential speeds at all, but I only have internet sources of various types.

Looks as though a slimming process might be necessary. Whatever we end up with, it would clearly have to be a new class, so lighter power units would probably be necessary - 185s are ridiculously over-powered for most routes anyway.

phil8715

I can't see the point of electrifying Stranraer to Ayr as not that many people travel all the way to Stranraer.

Thanks to the numpties at Stena deciding it was a great idea to close Stranraer Harbour and move operations to Cainryan where there's no train service I honestly can't see the route into Stranraer surviving without its ferry traffic.

I used to regularly travel on the train from Preston to Glasgow then onto Stranraer to catch the ferry to Larne and later Belfast. Now I fly it's actually cheaper and more direct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I can't see the point of electrifying Stranraer to Ayr as not that many people travel all the way to Stranraer.

Thanks to the numpties at Stena deciding it was a great idea to close Stranraer Harbour and move operations to Cainryan where there's no train service I honestly can't see the route into Stranraer surviving without its ferry traffic.

I used to regularly travel on the train from Preston to Glasgow then onto Stranraer to catch the ferry to Larne and later Belfast. Now I fly it's actually cheaper and more direct.

Electrify to Girvan and turn the Girvan-Stranraer section into a single unit shuttle IMO. Reduction in costs.

bailey65

A lot of people are calling for renationalisation of the railways,im just wondering how far electrification would have got if we were still under british rail my suspicion is not very far at all.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
A lot of people are calling for renationalisation of the railways,im just wondering how far electrification would have got if we were still under british rail my suspicion is not very far at all.

Well being as 80s/early 90s BR produced a rolling electrification programme..... I think that is a rather silly suspicion.
ECML, Cross City Line, Manchester suburban, Leeds Suburban, Ayrshire Coast Line, line to King's Lynn, line to Norwich and a bunch of others I can't remember.

Oh and line to Weymouth in third rail terms.

It is highly likely that this rolling programme would have continued if not for privatisation, probably encompassing the MML and GWML by the present day as well as several other suburban and minor projects.

Last edited:

Pugwash

Felixtowe - Ipswich would seem the best way to get diesel under the wires loco's off the network. Cannot see why it is not first on the list.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I would have thought a lot further given the operator of the trains would see the financial benefits of electrification.

Waverley125

Thinking more specifically about the MML, might it be a good idea to do the MML only as part of other fill-in programmes? So many trains use the MML for part of their route that wiring doesn't actually change to electric traction a great proportion of the changes on it.

So, I'd do the MML:

Bedford-Sheffield, Kettering-Leicester via Corby, East Midlands Parkway-Nottingham, Nottingham-Clay Cross Junction, East Midlands Parkway-Clay Cross Junction via Derby, Ambergate-Matlock

As Well as:

Leicester-Birmingham New Street, Oakham-Stowmarket via Ely, Grantham-Nottingham, Ely-Norwich, Dore & Totley Junction-Hazel Grove, Sheffield-Moorthorpe Junction, Sheffield-Hull via Goole, Sheffield-Leeds via Barnsley, Sheffield-Retford, Worksop-Nottingham, Methley Junction-Goole, Pontefract Monkhill-Huddersfield, Leeds-Gilberdyke, Barnt Green-Bristol Parkway, Gloucester-Newport,

This would deal with all of the long-distance services passing over the MML, wholely electrify XC between Bristol/Cardiff & Scotland, XC from East Anglia to the West Midlands & EMT from East Anglia to the North West.

Chris125

Established Member
Felixtowe - Ipswich would seem the best way to get diesel under the wires loco's off the network. Cannot see why it is not first on the list.

Freightliner routinely switch traction at Ipswich so its really not much of an issue, and with the construction of the north chord a lot of the container traffic will be diesel hauled via Ely anyway.

Chris

Pen Mill

Freightliner routinely switch traction at Ipswich so its really not much of an issue, and with the construction of the north chord a lot of the container traffic will be diesel hauled via Ely anyway.

Chris
Is any of the FL diesel hauled stuff going through Stratford bound for or coming from Felixstowe because there's a fair amount of under the wire mileage there if it is ?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I admire your use of language!

In the last couple of years I've seen a lot of strategic planning be discussed in terms in which the conclusions are "recognition", wishes and intentions are "aspirations", research indicates a "change of heart", demands and needs are merely an "appetite" and recommendations are "guidance (if whoever was minded to . . . )".
All that these alternative vocabularies do is to avoid the obvious, that there is no money.

In short. Nothing will happen.
(or not very much)

Care to re-evaluate sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.