• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electron/Debit Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
If you can disclose it, which authorization company do you use?

I don't. As mentioned above, I used to work for a major retail bank (which I have proven to some forum staff). I am only going off what used to be in our staff manuals — it may well be that Visa Electron cards issued by ourselves would follow these rules but others would work differently.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've got a Halifax Electron Card which I only use for booking flights on FLY BE which saves me about £6 per flight, I hope mine isn't replaced.

When I'm going to book a flight I just TX the cash from my Yorkshire Bank Current Account beforehand - it goes in instantly with FPS.

As someone else mentioned Easyjet have whacked a £9 admin fee on in place of accepting electron like they used to for a free of charge booking.

WillPS

Established Member
I used to work at a toy shop and I'm fairly certain I had to authorise a child's card over the phone once. It could have been Solo I guess.

LondonJohn

I have a HSBC Visa Debit, I use it at shops, and to purchase tickets online and onboard trains, usually my card works fine, sometimes I board on the first train ( ticket office shut and machine Out Of Order) so when purchasing onboard a train sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt and when it doesnt I go to the ticket office where I alight and it works fine

Sounds like you have an AAT (Authorise all transactions card) to stop you spending money you don't have. These are the new style visa electron cards but they still have raised embossed numbers and if a retailer doesnt get authorisation at point of sale they risk having the money declined when processing the voucher.

sprite

My electron card was replaced with a standard visa debit. It was rejected at New Pudsey last week despite working 5 minutes earlier in the ASDA, I paid cash instead. No issues really, besides selling a 21 year old a CHPRIV not a PRIV as asked for (got her to excess it there and then). The lady did ask if it was an electron so I rechecked and showed her that it did not say electronic use only. Not sure if this was an issue with the reader or my card in particular.

WillPS

Established Member
My electron card was replaced with a standard visa debit. It was rejected at New Pudsey last week despite working 5 minutes earlier in the ASDA, I paid cash instead. No issues really, besides selling a 21 year old a CHPRIV not a PRIV as asked for (got her to excess it there and then). The lady did ask if it was an electron so I rechecked and showed her that it did not say electronic use only. Not sure if this was an issue with the reader or my card in particular.

It's neither. Your bank will not allow your card to authorise offline. It will either be that your account type does not allow it (as is the case with accounts which are offered to children) or for some reason the bank have applied the restriction to your card.

If it's an issue you could ask your bank to change the account and/or remove the restriction. Worst they can say is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.