• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

electrostar (357/37x/387) multiple working

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
What electrostars can work in multiple with each other? Is it within class only or can they theoretically work between classes? Is it at all possible for them to work in multiple with anything other than an electrostar?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What electrostars can work in multiple with each other? Is it within class only or can they theoretically work between classes? Is it at all possible for them to work in multiple with anything other than an electrostar?
I believe 357s are within class only but 375-377 are all compatible with each other.

OliverH68

377s & all sub-classes can all work with each other. Technically the whole 377/387 fleet are compatible with one another, but I believe 377s & 387s together can't work in passenger service due to software incompatibilities.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I believe 377s & 387s together can't work in passenger service due to software incompatibilities.
TMS or PIS-related I believe, one of the two won't function correctly between the two classes but otherwise they can multi, someone mentioned something about it in a thread some time ago.

Fincra5

Established Member
TMS or PIS-related I believe, one of the two won't function correctly between the two classes but otherwise they can multi, someone mentioned something about it in a thread some time ago.

Thats the jist of it. They can move together but SDO, PIS and so on won't work so it's not done in passenger service.

NSE

Established Member
Am I right in thinking the 377’s and 387’s are compatible with 319’s for emergency rescue?

aleggatta

Am I right in thinking the 377’s and 387’s are compatible with 319’s for emergency rescue?
there are emergency coupling adapters, which physically couple the two classes, an air line is then connected to link the main res pipe, but both units require a driver when operating in this way as there is no brake control between units. things get more problematic if one unit can't release brakes or loses hotel power as there is no facility to connect battery voltage between the two different classes. Also, when on Thameslink the coupling adapters were usually kept at a station in the core, rather than being on each unit, so by the time an adapter had been sourced to transfer to the failed unit location, normally there would have been a unit of the same class in front or behind that would be sent to rescue the unit instead, and the timetable was normally written so that units didn't become trapped between two of the other class.

Roast Veg

Established Member
377s & all sub-classes can all work with each other. Technically the whole 377/387 fleet are compatible with one another, but I believe 377s & 387s together can't work in passenger service due to software incompatibilities.
377/6s and 377/7s subclasses are near identical to 387s, excepting compatibility with the older 377s. Bombardier rebuilt their entire TMS software stack (formerly windows xp, then Linux), and I am told that the interoperability was no mean feat.

I would speculate that the older PISs are tightly coupled to their destinations and routes, making multiple working with other classes infeasible in passenger service, but newer PISs may be more configurable.

I am particularly curious as to whether class 379s and 387s are compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.