• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ELR Summer Diesel Gala 4th - 8th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom

East Lancashire Railway Diesel Gala - Wednesday 4th to Sunday 8th July

About the event
The event is a 5 day gala with a range of different traction both ELR home fleet and visitors to the railway. This year looks no exception to previous years high standards.

The event runs for 5 days with a different theme each day:
Wednesday 4th July - visiting traction only
Thursday 5th July - Sulzers and Hydraulics
Friday 6th July - English Electrics
Saturday 7th July - visiting traction plus half the ELR home fleet
Sunday 8th July - visiting traction plus the other half of the ELR home fleet

Locos
Along with the Home Fleet, a good selection of visiting locos will be on offer:
Class 20 no. D8020
courtesy of the SRPS Diesel Group
Class 20 no. 20906
courtesy of HNRC
(subject to completion of repairs)
Class 26 no. D5310
courtesy of the Waverley Route Heritage Association
and 26010 Restoration Group
(subject to completion of main generator repairs)
Class 26 no. 26024
courtesy of the 6LDA Group
Class 37 no. 37175
courtesy of BRE Limited
Class 52 D1015 'WESTERN CHAMPION'
courtesy of the Diesel Traction Group

Tickets
ELR Special Event ticketing applies, al tickets are full line rovers valid all day, these are priced at the following:
Adult £21.00
Child/Concession £14.50
Family £56.50

The following 2-day event rovers are also available:
Adult £38.50
Child/concession £26.00

Platform Tickets are not available on events!

Getting there

Travelling to the ELR is usually very easy, but this year due to the Metrolink tack upgrades its not! The nearest mainline rail station is Manchester Piccadilly, or Manchester Victoria. People coming from the south will arrive at Piccadilly, should proceed down to the Metrolink platform where you will be directed to the replacement bus stop. There are 4 replacement bus services operating, The X1, X2, X3 and 400. I would suggest taking the X1 as it’s the fastest service Manchester – Bury Express via Bowker Vale, the other services are local stopping services. Fares are also different this year, adult Manchester – Bury return has been reduced to £3.20 return for adults, and £1.50 return for children. Similarly buses can be caught from Victoria, and prices to Bury are the same.

You can catch a bus from Manchester, Piccadilly Gardens bus terminus to Bury (number 135), but this takes around 1 1/2 hours!

The tram station in Bury is only a five minute walk from Bury Bolton Street station; please see this map:

Tips

- If your not one for busy hustle and bustle, naturally the Saturday or Sunday will be the buisiest time so avoid these. The weekdays will be best for you.

- Photters should remember to keep on the right side of the white line at platforms or off the edging slabs when trains are approaching.

-All visitors are also asked to refrain from wearing orange ‘hi-vis’ whilst on the platforms as it can cause confusion between staff members and non staff members and also when linesiding (as you should be behind the fences!!)

- Timetables for the event are yest to be announced, these are not the standard off peak ‘yellow’ timetable.

Cheers, and enjoy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Rab (Colin Redfern) is working on the timetable I beleive.

I will be there ticket collecting in the week as we are short of staff, so the diesel lads are mucking in as usual. I'll be cabbing on the Saturday, so look out for me in a cab somewhere...:razz:

AlexS

Established Member
£21? Gone up a wee bit on last year ain't it! Suspect I'd get the concessionary rate anyway with a GCR workers pass, it was a good day out last year, unfortunately working at Loughborough this time round.

Mushroom

Was £20 last year. Events are special ticketing, so the usual £11 non event rovers dont count!

Galvanize

Anyone else thinking of going? I'm not sure whether to go or not! But it will be harder, if there's engineering works on the Bury branch, and if i was to get home for a reasonable time, i'd have to leave the line about 17:00-ish :|

The Snap

Established Member
The last train will be at 18.00 ish, so you won't miss much.

I'd come - you'll be missing out!

The Snap

Established Member
It is being discussed within the department to run a Beerex train on the Saturday (last train). Seen as though we have five Class 20s on site during the gala, why not have a 5x20 headed train...

Yet to be confirmed, but a real possibility...:-P

Craig

Established Member
Is there any point to having 5 20s on a train? IIRC they ran 3 on a beerex at one event I was at last year, the driver had the power on for about 10 seconds before we were at line speed... :roll: :lol:

theblackwatch

Established Member
There does seem to be an obsession with putting lots of engines on the front of a train, creating (as Craig says), power for only a short time before it has to be shut off. Personally, I'd rather have one Class 20 working solid for 10 minutes, than 5 of them having to ease off after a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.