• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ember: Electric coach service

InOban

Established Member
Are they doing a lot of advertising? Because Citylink has Brand Awareness , everyone knows them. Ember's name must be unknown to the general public and its name isn't self-explanatory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
I think the price on board is the same as the price in advance.
Cheaper to book online but you can do this right up until departure. I was at St Andrews Square once when passengers were asking if there were any spaces and the driver told them to book online, so the company seems to actively encourage it themselves as well.
Can I buy a ticket onboard?
You can buy a ticket onboard except at pre-booked only stops, but it's £2 cheaper (per adult ticket) to book online. This applies no matter whether you book a month ahead or just a few seconds before.

route101

Established Member
Are they doing a lot of advertising? Because Citylink has Brand Awareness , everyone knows them. Ember's name must be unknown to the general public and its name isn't self-explanatory.
Not seen any advertisement for Ember.

ld0595

I've never seen any advertisements for them but several of my friends in Dundee have used them which surprised me. My parents have also heard and used them too which I didn't expect since they don't tend to know this sort of thing.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've never seen any advertisements for them but several of my friends in Dundee have used them which surprised me. My parents have also heard and used them too which I didn't expect since they don't tend to know this sort of thing.
Did they google for operators or use google maps or are Ember doing well by word of mouth?

route101

Established Member
Did they google for operators or use google maps or are Ember doing well by word of mouth?
I reckon it could be repeat custom and cheaper ticket price than Citylink. The green credentials too I reckon.

markymark2000

On Moderation
They have a lot of press which likely helps. With them being so local too, constant press releases which local media keep picking up must be helping. Plus people seeing them around operating. Of course buses sit in Dundee for a while charging.

I'd argue they can't be doing as well on end to end as they would like as they've added in loads more stops since launch of the Edinburgh route.

Porty

Slightly surprised that they don't use the bus itself as a mobile advert. The dark grey design is dull and boring or a classy statement, depending on your point of view. It's the opposite of Citylink's bright yellow. It certainly doesn't stand out to motorists on a motorway or pedestrians or other bus users in town. Surely they could come up with something to enhance the existing depressing offering.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I reckon it could be repeat custom and cheaper ticket price than Citylink. The green credentials too I reckon.
Repeat custom is good for them and cheaper ticket prices and green credentials explain why people choose them, but doesn't explain how people find out about them if there's not a lot of publicity - but it sounds like there's quite a bit of local press coverage.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
For me personally speaking, the E3 runs a lot later in the evening as well compared to Citylink. Normally I'd be restricted and would have to get the 22:55 M9 from Perth back down to Glasgow.

With Ember, they also run right the way through to the early hours of the morning, so I can see them being popular with folk that our on nights out too as the last bus leaves Glasgow at 03:36 back to Dundee.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If word of mouth is working for them, along with local press coverage, is there any need to spend money on advertising? They've been going for quite a while now, and Ember is still a fairly small operation. Any significant increase in demand will cost a fairly large amount of money to deal with in terms of adding more capacity, not least because the vehicles themselves are more expensive to begin with. It's not going to look good if suddenly they've got to lease a load of diesel coaches in order to meet demand!

There's also the fact that this a new concept, and if it was going to fail, it's better to let it wither away than spectacularly fall on its face after making a massive song and dance advertising campaign.

J MacDonald

If word of mouth is working for them, along with local press coverage, is there any need to spend money on advertising? They've been going for quite a while now, and Ember is still a fairly small operation. Any significant increase in demand will cost a fairly large amount of money to deal with in terms of adding more capacity, not least because the vehicles themselves are more expensive to begin with. It's not going to look good if suddenly they've got to lease a load of diesel coaches in order to meet demand!

There's also the fact that this a new concept, and if it was going to fail, it's better to let it wither away than spectacularly fall on its face after making a massive song and dance advertising campaign.
Thanks for directing me towards this thread GusB. A lot of interesting posts. However, it still seems strange to use public funds to go up against a well established transport company with all the existing infrastructure, assets, investments, expertise and staff who are also receiving a significant amount of public money to transition to an electric service. I might be missing something but isn't it a bit like a plant burger start-up going up against McDonalds who are already producing a plant burger? Nothing wrong with competition of course but it's just the fact that it's taxpayers money that's being used and they can't possibly compete with Stagecoach in the long term. Maybe they are being funded to become a nationalised low emission public service in the future? In this cost of living/energy crisis, there's a lot of talk of nationalisation going about....

Thanks for directing me towards this thread GusB. A lot of interesting posts. However, it still seems strange to use public funds to go up against a well established transport company with all the existing infrastructure, assets, investments, expertise and staff who are also receiving a significant amount of public money to transition to an electric service. I might be missing something but isn't it a bit like a plant burger start-up going up against McDonalds who are already producing a plant burger? Nothing wrong with competition of course but it's just the fact that it's taxpayers money that's being used and they can't possibly compete with Stagecoach in the long term. Maybe they are being funded to become a nationalised low emission public service in the future? In this cost of living/energy crisis, there's a lot of talk of nationalisation going about....

I thought the money provided just bridges the gap between the cost of diesel and the cost of electric. You still have the capital cost of the vehicle to find yourself.

johncrossley

Established Member
The introduction of an additional service does not cut total overall pollution, unlike paying Citylink to replace their existing coaches with new electric ones.

ClydeCoaster

I thought the money provided just bridges the gap between the cost of diesel and the cost of electric. You still have the capital cost of the vehicle to find yourself.
This is correct, and Ember are bidding for that Scottish ZEB funding against Stagecoach, First et al and there's no restrictions on them using that funding to buy zero emission vehicles to compete with Ember or anyone else for that matter.

Not forgetting that Ember have bought two TCe12s without any funding at all.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The introduction of an additional service does not cut total overall pollution, unlike paying Citylink to replace their existing coaches with new electric ones.

Unless there would otherwise not be sufficient capacity at times people want to travel who would otherwise go by car.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
So how many is that they've got now? I wonder if there's any difference in the specification of their more recent builds
9 with more on the way. The 71, 22 and 72 plates have bigger battery capacity I believe (the 70 plates don't have enough range to be used on the E3).

As per Ember's journey planner, from December 14th, the E1 is being increased to every 75 minutes and the E3 is being increased to every 90 minutes.

So how many is that they've got now? I wonder if there's any difference in the specification of their more recent builds

The new 72pl coach has a larger roof pod/shroud which is apparently now capable of pantograph charging. Although there is currently no infrastructure to enable this.

Haribolover06

The new 72pl coach has a larger roof pod/shroud which is apparently now capable of pantograph charging. Although there is currently no infrastructure to enable this.
As part of a planning application in Aberdeen for a depot, the plans stated that the buses would be charged overhead, i assume via pantograph.

The application was opened in march and has been approved Conditionally, with more documents being added during development of planning application.

Drawings from the planning application are attached below.

Attachments

• Planning Aberdeen Depot Ember.jpg
    Planning Aberdeen Depot Ember.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 95
  • ember planning.PNG
    ember planning.PNG
    255.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyBKinross

Anyone know what has happened to the 70' plate Yutongs? It seems they haven't seen service since November/December. Have they been withdrawn?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Anyone know what has happened to the 70' plate Yutongs? It seems they haven't seen service since November/December. Have they been withdrawn?
Just speculation but perhaps they're being retrofitted with the pantograph charging as per the new 72 plates?

Just speculation but perhaps they're being retrofitted with the pantograph charging as per the new 72 plates?
Maybe toilets too; the 71 plates originally never had toilets and they were fitted prior to the E3 starting last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Go-ahead for new Inverness electric bus base​

A new electric charging hub in Inverness will be central to the operation of a new long-distance bus service.

Highland Council granted planning permission for the scheme on a site within port authority land in the city.

Ember, an Edinburgh-based fully-electric bus operator, aims to establish the new hub to be used as a base for charging its vehicles which will travel routes including Edinburgh, Glasgow, Fort William and Aberdeen.

The proposed site is in Harbour Road, off Shore Street, and according to a report which formed part of the planning application the central location is key because the buses will need to go back to base multiple times per day to recharge due to the high mileage travelled.

A spokesman said: “Being central minimises ‘dead-leg’ mileage and ultimately will allow Ember to run more services.”

The site is located behind a flood wall and the gates may be closed in the event of a tidal surge. The spokesman said: “In addition, all charging hardware will be sufficiently lifted not to be at risk of flood damage – with most of the charging hardware located overhead.

“The area around the site is predominantly commercial or industrial, with a small amount of housing across the road. Since only electric buses will be using the site, there will not be any associated engine noise or pollution.”

The site will mainly be used for parking and charging buses – with space for up to eight buses to charge simultaneously. The spokesman said: “During the day, an average of two to four buses are likely to be charging at any one time with all bays only occupied overnight. In addition, Ember plans to add staff parking, a welfare unit for driver breaks and a vehicle wash bay”.

Overhead charging units will be mounted to a 5.2m high steel gantry frame which will be approximately 20cm square with cabling to the overhead charging units recessed inside.

The spokesman said: “Mounting the charger units overhead avoids having any trailing cables and minimises the number obstructions a bus could hit.”

A welfare unit will provide comfortable facilities for drivers who are taking a break while buses are charging.