• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ember: Electric coach service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
Ember orders 14 Yutong GTe14 battery-electric tri-axles

https://www.route-one.net/news/embe...JudXrfLx6CdXoeDkvPxh2yW6f1HZGwLO_tC9snYDQFuCU

By routeone Team -July 12, 2023
Yutong GTe14 order placed by Ember
Scottish scheduled service operator Ember has become the first operator to order the Yutong GTe14 battery-electric tri-axle coach. It has committed to 14 of the type, which are to be delivered in January 2024.

Dealership Pelican Bus and Coach revealed details of the 14-metre GTe14 in May. It will be similar to the 15-metre TC15E (pictured, above) intended for other markets, a prototype of which has already been constructed. The GTe14 shares an appearance with the established GT12 diesel two-axle model.

Those to be delivered to Ember will be 57-seaters and equipped with 563kW/h of battery capacity. That will give a range on motorway work of what Pelican says “is around 280 miles.” They will also come with the Yutong Electric Safety System and the manufacturer’s rear-view cameras.

PSVAR compliance will include a lift at a centre door, while 8.25 cubic metres of luggage capacity forms part of the specification.

Delivery of the GTe14 fleet will take the Ember fleet of Yutong battery-electric coaches to 38. Speaking about the order, co-founder Pierce Glennie says: “Our existing Yutong TCe12 coaches have been highly reliable, enabling us to build an extensive zero-emission route network in less than three years.

Ember orders Yutong GTe14 fleet
An early artist’s impression of the GTe14 in Ember colours has been released; the coaches will seat 57 and have 563kW/h of battery capacity
“The longer-range, higher-capacity GTe14, together with the new charging hubs we are building, will allow us to add longer-distance routes and meet passenger demand.”

Adds Pelican Bus and Coach Managing Director Richard Crump: “We have worked closely with Pierce and Keith from Ember since first meeting them in 2019.

“Their vision and professionalism has in part driven the development of this new addition to the UK model range. However, the vehicle will have wider appeal across the whole of the UK, not only for intercity work but also for high-value private hires.”

A demonstrator GTe14 is due to arrive with Pelican in November and it will be made available to operators.

Buzby

Interesting - I wonder if this will delay ember’s plans to offer Inverness & Aberdeen services? I overheard a driver suggesting they hoped to have initial services running by late summer THIS year, but if they are awaiting delivery of the GTe14’s that’s not going to happen. I wonder if they plan to make Broxden a hub (as certain Citylink services do) as an interchange point?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I doubt stagecoach would allow them to do that without a turf war as has been witnessed in Aberdeen bus station. But they could do with a hub in a similar location to that and Perth city centre is certainly not the answer and Kinross isn't really an option. Are there any other locations around there that could be used? I know longer living Scotland but I certainly intend to make use of longer distant services if they're going to offer them on my return visits

Tayway

Do we know if Ember are likely to start offering direct Aberdeen to Edinburgh/Glasgow services? The market already seems pretty saturated and I'd argue one of Ember's selling points is starting in Dundee as the services are less busy and more reliable then Citylink or Flixbus.

Interesting - I wonder if this will delay ember’s plans to offer Inverness & Aberdeen services? I overheard a driver suggesting they hoped to have initial services running by late summer THIS year, but if they are awaiting delivery of the GTe14’s that’s not going to happen. I wonder if they plan to make Broxden a hub (as certain Citylink services do) as an interchange point?

It is expected that there are still 9 Yutong TCe12 coaches yet to enter service. SG72NCF only entered service a few weeks ago whilst similar SG72NCC (1) hasn't hit the road yet.
Bus Lists on the Web also has SG23ORN/ORO/ORP/ORT/ORU/ORV/ORW/ORX (8) without owner which I would also expect to be with Ember with those registrations reserved.

These 9 (8x23 & 1x72) plus SG72NCD-NCF give 12 vehicles, add in the 14x GTe14 and you have the 26 vehicles that funding was granted for in February 2022 via Zero Emission Bus Challenge.

New Dundee to Aberdeen service is starting soon no date given.

The company confirmed that the next routes to launch will service Aberdeen and Inverness in the coming months, with the expectation that its new Aberdeen charging hub will be the next to launch, supporting a new Dundee-Aberdeen service.

overthewater

Established Member
The big question has to be, will it be direct or will it go via Forfar or Montrose? It could give the X7 a run for its money.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The big question has to be, will it be direct or will it go via Forfar or Montrose? It could give the X7 a run for its money.
TBH any reliable service could give Stagecoach a run for the money!

That said, the time penalty of going via Montrose makes me think the A90 +/- Forfar will be preferred.
Ember coaches have been noted in Aberdeen and down the A92 corridor a number of times of late which would suggest them going up against the X7. As I've suggested before, I think an Aberdeen - Stonehaven - Brechin - Forfar - Dundee route would have more potential if they don't want to target the more direct Citylink market.

Last edited:

Tayway

New page on Ember's website about hiring out their charging points to other coach/HGV operators. Interestingly it gives a list of future locations:

Our first hub in Dundee is now live.

We have further hubs coming soon, including in Aberdeen, Inverness, Fort William and Paisley. Keep an eye on this page for updates

I don't believe Paisley has been mentioned before – seems like they have rather extensive plans for their network, even though there hasn't been any more news about the predicted Aberdeen/Inverness service.

overthewater

Established Member
They keep on hinting at new services but it never happens, as someone else has said they have brand new coaches and depot doing nothing. It's such a waste of resources, when are they going to expand?

Spsf3232

New page on Ember's website about hiring out their charging points to other coach/HGV operators. Interestingly it gives a list of future locations:

I don't believe Paisley has been mentioned before – seems like they have rather extensive plans for their network, even though there hasn't been any more news about the predicted Aberdeen/Inverness service.
I've seen planning permission go in for the paisley depot McFarlane street near St James interchange.

The ideas are good they are just taking time getting it all operating

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They keep on hinting at new services but it never happens, as someone else has said they have brand new coaches and depot doing nothing. It's such a waste of resources, when are they going to expand?
The delays are down to issues getting contractors and suppliers to install the chargers due to the volume of new EV charging hubs being constructed at the moment, you've also got to ensure that there is sufficient power supply to the site which often there isn't.
Paisley was mentioned quite a while back, see post #105 quoted below.
Ember got planning permission for a depot and charging station in Paisley. The planning number and details are 21/1762/CL

Link supplied by @borage - thanks :)

fife_circle

I’m almost certain I saw an ember coach on Aberdeens king street a couple of days ago, could’ve possibly been more trials?

route101

Established Member
I wonder how Paisley will be served or its the location for a depot?

Buzby

They have no facilities in the west, so whilst it makes sense, I wonder if further expansion is planned - Greenock or Ayr?

ld0595

I took my first Ember tonight between Glasgow and Dundee since the trains between Perth and Dundee were off today.) Seemingly unnecessarily I might add, since there was hardly any rain in Dundee and Broughty Ferry...!)

I must say I was quite impressed with the whole service. I changed to a later bus in the evening but as it became apparent I could get an earlier one, it was incredibly easy to change. Also quite reasonably priced as well.

My only gripe was the wine of the electric motor which really droned quite on all throughout. Otherwise legroom was fine and it was comfortable enough.

All in all I'd take the train in the first instance but I'd happily take Ember as a second resort over the others if I had to. Interestingly enough, most of my other friends who were there there also took Ember (and have done so in the past) and we're fairly pleased.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I took my first Ember tonight between Glasgow and Dundee since the trains between Perth and Dundee were off today.) Seemingly unnecessarily I might add, since there was hardly any rain in Dundee and Broughty Ferry...!)

I must say I was quite impressed with the whole service. I changed to a later bus in the evening but as it became apparent I could get an earlier one, it was incredibly easy to change. Also quite reasonably priced as well.

My only gripe was the wine of the electric motor which really droned quite on all throughout. Otherwise legroom was fine and it was comfortable enough.

All in all I'd take the train in the first instance but I'd happily take Ember as a second resort over the others if I had to. Interestingly enough, most of my other friends who were there there also took Ember (and have done so in the past) and we're fairly pleased.
I have used Ember a few times. The big plus with them is that its a fixed fare and cheaper than Citylink. Trips can still sell out though. I have noticed they have very odd departure times.

Buzby

That said- they have a cracking IT system for booking, location and information. They also take bikes without complaint. I now use them in preference to the train, and they even drop off at the bus bay outside the station! Providing the weather behaves itself, I’m off to Dundee on Tuesday and enjoy charging my phone and the WiFi too….

MotCO

Established Member
I don't think you would mind the wine - it would be the whine you might have a problem with ;)

johncrossley

Established Member
Is there a problem with the gearing on these coaches to make such a noise?

Last edited:

Buzby

I’ve clocked up over 30 trips on these Yutongs and I have to say the whine is almost inaudible unless you sit right at the back.

ld0595

I have used Ember a few times. The big plus with them is that its a fixed fare and cheaper than Citylink. Trips can still sell out though. I have noticed they have very odd departure times.
Both my trips were just over half full which was surprising given there was no rail service north of Perth. There was plenty of space throughout the day and I was freely ably to switch services in the evening. Just under £19 return which I thought was decent. Can't really complain about the departure times and to be honest the midnight / early morning (2/3am deps) are pretty good for catching a flight or a late night out!

That said- they have a cracking IT system for booking, location and information. They also take bikes without complaint. I now use them in preference to the train, and they even drop off at the bus bay outside the station! Providing the weather behaves itself, I’m off to Dundee on Tuesday and enjoy charging my phone and the WiFi too….
Absolutely. Normally I'd take the train and just get a split ticket return from Glasgow to Perth and then to Dundee which gives me full flexibility for a day trip. Given the trains were off North of Perth, bus was my next option and Ember was the natural choice after all the positive feedback I've heard. I was really impressed with how easy it was to change the booked service. I wasn't sure if I could make my 8pm coach so booked the 9.30 but was able to switch onto the 8pm on my phone with 5 minutes notice. I don't think you could do that on Megabus/CityLink.

:D I don't think you would mind the wine - it would be the whine you might have a problem with ;)
Haha, Well given it was a trip to the pub for a friend's birthday, I would say it's both that I have a problem with I'll stick with the lagers!

I’ve clocked up over 30 trips on these Yutongs and I have to say the whine is almost inaudible unless you sit right at the back.
That might've been my issue - the front was full of screaming kids so I had no choice other than hiding at the back!

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Really delighted to hear further good reports of this. I was a big supporter when I still lived north of the border and highly likely to use again should I need something on their route, I await the introduction of the Inverness service with great anticipation as another coach alternative on the A9 is needed given how busy a lot of the CityLink options now are due to the ongoing appallingness of the rail offering

sannox

Ember is excellent. The quality of their IT and tracking is brilliant for me.

Fundee on Tay

From Dundee to the central belt Citylink are faster and more frequent (not to mention both are free for me as an NEC holder) but the thing that swings me round to Ember more often than not is the reliability.