• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Empty pushchair incident at Nuneaton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
image_update_img.jpg

Warning for parents as footage shows loose pushchair destroyed by train

Parents are warned to take extra care when using pushchairs and prams on train station platforms, as CCTV shows a pushchair being hit by a passing train.

The pictures from Nuneaton station show the pushchair being left briefly unattended, with no brakes on, before it starts to roll towards a freight train that is moving quickly past the platform.

There is a video of the incident here

Fortunately no harm done but frightening to think what could have happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daikilo

Established Member
Hmmm, another case possibly due to the air turbulence caused by the passing train. Although there is no yellow line, I guess the pushchair would probably have been behind it had there been one.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Hmmm, another case possibly due to the air turbulence caused by the passing train. Although there is no yellow line, I guess the pushchair would probably have been behind it had there been one.

Yes - the pushchair looks like it was next to the station building, and sucked towards the track by the turbulence. I wonder if the owner forgot to apply the pushchair brakes ?

robbeech

Established Member
It would definitely be behind the yellow line if there was a suitable one. I thought all the Platforms at Nuneaton had yellow lines now, 3 and 4 certainly do though that is where most of the non stop VTWC services speed through.

Elecman

Established Member
Yes - the pushchair looks like it was next to the station building, and sucked towards the track by the turbulence. I wonder if the owner forgot to apply the pushchair brakes ?

The RAIB report into the previous occurrence showed that pushchair brakes aren't that effective against freight train suction

MadCommuter

Not down playing the incident, but as a parent I would have less regard for the buggy with no one in it.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Read the 2016 RAIB investigation where a disabled child with the brake applied to their wheelchair was sucked into a passing freight and fortunately only suffered a minor foot injury. There was one in Australia a few years ago which reminds of this one.

IMHO ALL wheelchairs/prams should have an always on brake like an airport trolley. I witnessed this year at a National Trust property a carer lose control of a chair on a downhill slope and had it not been a big bloke walking in the opposite direction the occupant could have suffered a serious injury.

notlob.divad

Established Member
IMHO ALL wheelchairs/prams should have an always on brake like an airport trolley. I witnessed this year at a National Trust property a carer lose control of a chair on a downhill slope and had it not been a big bloke walking in the opposite direction the occupant could have suffered a serious injury.
Agree with a pushchair, but how do you propose that to work with a wheelchair. Someone using a wheelchair may well be using both hands to push the wheels around, how are they supposed to hold a sprung loaded break off?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Disagreed.

Airport trolleys are only used for a short journey, where having to stop/start regularly is to be expected.

Meanwhile, I can (and have to) push my son literally miles in his pram without having to stop. It is not remotely practical or comfortable to have to maintain pressure at all times during this time, especially as I may be having to keep one hand free for other uses (e.g. carrying shopping, holding a door open whilst tryimg to maneouvre the pram through the very same door, etc.) - I couldn't maintain pressure with the other hand alone.

It's about getting into a good habit of whenever you stop, flicking the brake on as standard procedure. I reinforce this to my wife, especially when by busy roads, on platforms, etc.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Remember also that prams are very lightweight compared to ladem airport trolleys (thank God for getting them into car boots, luggage racks, etc.!) - the force needed to depress an airport-style brake could just have the effect of tipping the entire pram on its back!

Clip

Established Member
Read the 2016 RAIB investigation where a disabled child with the brake applied to their wheelchair was sucked into a passing freight and fortunately only suffered a minor foot injury. There was one in Australia a few years ago which reminds of this one.

Or a more sensible and practical solution would be people gettinf in the habit of placing prams and wheelchairs sideways on when on a platform

Antman

Established Member
Disagreed.

Airport trolleys are only used for a short journey, where having to stop/start regularly is to be expected.

Meanwhile, I can (and have to) push my son literally miles in his pram without having to stop. It is not remotely practical or comfortable to have to maintain pressure at all times during this time, especially as I may be having to keep one hand free for other uses (e.g. carrying shopping, holding a door open whilst tryimg to maneouvre the pram through the very same door, etc.) - I couldn't maintain pressure with the other hand alone.

It's about getting into a good habit of whenever you stop, flicking the brake on as standard procedure. I reinforce this to my wife, especially when by busy roads, on platforms, etc.

I agree that to have to hold down a bar on a buggy is just not practical. I have a young granddaughter who I sometimes take out on a train and I'm very conscious of the potential dangers on a station platform and almost feel I should have the buggy handcuffed to my wrist. In the incident at Nuneaton I'd like to think the parents or guardians would have been taking a bit more care of the buggy if there had been a child in it.

OneOffDave

I'm in my wheelchair for over 12 hours every day. Having to hold a brake off every time I wanted to move whilst also using both hands to move would be energy sapping. Also having a brake like that would make the chair heavier and more complex as it's have to work on both sides at once

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A very scary incident that could have been much worse.

Not sure you have ever had to move a wheelchair around all day - it just isnt practical especially for those who self propel.

jaigee

Or a more sensible and practical solution would be people gettinf in the habit of placing prams and wheelchairs sideways on when on a platform
It looks like this one was placed sideways and was pulled forward and outwards by the train.

AM9

Veteran Member
One wonders just how bad the 'schrapnel' from the disintegrating wheelchair would injure somebody who happened to be standing further forward of the incident. Surely wheeled items (also including cycles and four-wheeled suitcases) should be under the continuous control of their keeper(s) whenever on a live platform.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Read the RAIB report into the wheelchair one. It was behind the yellow line, side on and with the brake on.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Agree with a pushchair, but how do you propose that to work with a wheelchair. Someone using a wheelchair may well be using both hands to push the wheels around, how are they supposed to hold a sprung loaded break off?

I'm talking about the sort of wheelchair which is pushed not one where the occupant is propelling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.