• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Empty stock taking the long route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just been checking trains through Crayford and noticed 5O15 passing. This is an empty run from Cannon Street to Grove Park depot. Why does it have to go round via Slade Green and the Lee Spur? Surely that's just a waste of energy? It's not even ending up the other way round.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Just been checking trains through Crayford and noticed 5O15 passing. This is an empty run from Cannon Street to Grove Park depot. Why does it have to go round via Slade Green and the Lee Spur? Surely that's just a waste of energy? It's not even ending up the other way round.
Pathing through Lewisham? Doubles as a route knowledge retainer?

Edit: Is this the usual route? If not, was there some sort of block or disruption that it needed to avoid?

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

It could be for maintenance of diversionary route knowledge and is a commonplace type of event.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
May also be use to get the unit in a particular orientation, e.g. when it is split within the depot and the units each end do different things.

But most likely pathing considerations.

tpjm

We send a fair number of our ECS moves via 'alternative' routes - allows drivers to retain their route knowledge.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Many thanks for the explanations. I guess in the grand scheme of things the extra energy is minimal, but it still feels like a waste.

Just responding to the reversing comment, the train doesn't change direction it just takes an extra 45 minutes or so to get where it's going.

Veteran Member
ECS using longer routes is common. One close to home for me is the Wimbledon depot down workings via East Putney.
Specific reason there - it gets the train to the depot without blocking the main line. ECS to Clapham Yard likewise uses the Windsor Lines, and I am sure there are others.

BTW, 5O15 must have gone direct today - 10 late start, disappears from RTT, 35 early arrival!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Specific reason there - it gets the train to the depot without blocking the main line. ECS to Clapham Yard likewise uses the Windsor Lines, and I am sure there are others...
I suspect that’s been the normal operating plan for depot access since the flyover was built, about 80 odd years ago? It’s never struck me as being done on a whim...

IamTrainsYT

Many thanks for the explanations. I guess in the grand scheme of things the extra energy is minimal, but it still feels like a waste.

Just responding to the reversing comment, the train doesn't change direction it just takes an extra 45 minutes or so to get where it's going.
might be to delay it into its platform so its not taking it up for 45 minutes

Veteran Member
I suspect that’s been the normal operating plan for depot access since the flyover was built, about 80 odd years ago? It’s never struck me as being done on a whim...
Correct - and probably since the depot was built, as the Local lines were both on the wrong side. The East Putney route had stopping trains when the LSWR electified it BTW.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Specific reason there - it gets the train to the depot without blocking the main line. ECS to Clapham Yard likewise uses the Windsor Lines, and I am sure there are others.

BTW, 5O15 must have gone direct today - 10 late start, disappears from RTT, 35 early arrival!
Absolutely - I understand the reason, but was answering the point about longer ECS routes.

fgwrich

Established Member
Depending on the type of stock, diversions or empty stock moves like this can also be used to turn stock around - FGW used to make use of the New North Mainline & triangle as Ealing to turn their HST sets around, while some have also used the "chiltern" / oxford parkway route to arrive at Reading to turn the Night Riviera sets around.

Although I can't see that being a reason for South Eastern though - do they pay any attention to which way around the FC compartments are?

Status
Not open for further replies.