• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Bedford to Leeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A0wen

On Moderation
I was thinking more about the population deserving, rather than rail impact. Having said that, I honestly thought Kibworth was bigger than that.

For the ease to Wellingborough, I hope to see a bus network integrated with Rushden/Higham/Irthlingborough in the future. It's a shame to see what's become of the buses on Wellingborough from the highs of 10+ years ago. A route serving both town centres, Wellingborough station and the Lakes via Stanton Cross would be interesting, but I won't hold my breath. However, now it's one council in the area, it may be a great help. If Rushden Parkway was built, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

There is already a bus which serves both town centres and Rushden Lakes - see the X46/47 - which pre Covid was running every 30 mins. Wellingborough station is poorly sited for including it on those bus routes. Most of Stanton Cross will be walkable to the station, not least because part of it is a station building on the east side of the railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cle

Established Member
If EWR get their bells and whistles Bedford station, this could well be possible. There is a third EWR platform planned which can get onto the MML Slows north, for instance.

Whether HS2 or something else, perhaps a Bedford-Corby could operate (extension of Marston, if ever wired?) - which might enable one of the Corby EMUs to reach a (wired by then) Leicester at least. I'm not sure on the economics of Bedford-Leeds in itself, but an EMU serving the interim stops up to Leicester and possibly Nottingham might enabler the fasts to be sped up further.

Perhaps the odd TL could extend to Wellingborough/Kettering in the peaks, if things like a Bedford North and Wixams are built. There is the platform for it.

But... is there really much more demand than all this?

cle

Established Member
Rainham! SE must be looking at a new order soon enough, to cover those frequencies and bring back to the fold...

A0wen

On Moderation
Perhaps the odd TL could extend to Wellingborough/Kettering in the peaks, if things like a Bedford North and Wixams are built. There is the platform for it.
I can't see the use of 700s to Wellingborough or Kettering being even slightly popular, except in an emergency.

People have moaned about them enough on the runs they are doing (and in my opinion are perfectly suitable for).

Lets wait and see how popular the 360s are before any more bright ideas. Already on these boards some are bemoaning the loss of catering from Wellingborough and Kettering.....

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I can't see the use of 700s to Wellingborough or Kettering being even slightly popular, except in an emergency.

I can’t see it at all. They’re not cleared, no drivers are trained, and there’s not enough of them. Other than that...

On Moderation
I can’t see it at all. They’re not cleared, no drivers are trained, and there’s not enough of them. Other than that...
How can there not be enough 700s? It’s not like the full Thameslink timetable has ever (or will ever?) be implemented, so there should be spare trains.

That doesn’t make it a good idea, though!

Aictos

Established Member
Add to the fact that it extends journey times for no obvious benefit, it's rather pointless.

Rainham! SE must be looking at a new order soon enough, to cover those frequencies and bring back to the fold...
Can you explain what you mean?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
How can there not be enough 700s? It’s not like the full Thameslink timetable has ever (or will ever?) be implemented, so there should be spare trains.

That doesn’t make it a good idea, though!

A full TL timetable hasn’t operated through the core, but the full service has (just about) operated either side with 700s. The Cambridge slows / Welwyn starters to Kings X for example.

cle

Established Member
The 700s are pretty awful. Things like driver training are quite small fry in this sub-forum of wires everywhere, tunnelling under the Fylde and so forth. Easily done within any accompanying timeframe (e.g. the expansive Bedford EWR uber-station is way less likely than some driver/route clearing!)

Another option is something less exciting. A DMU shuttle from Bedford to Corby and maybe beyond - tapping out and feeding from the Kettering call of 1tph EMU to Leicester once wired (of the 360s/whatever is on that route in future).

Aictos

Established Member
The 700s are pretty awful.
I have to politely disagree, compared to the Class 319s which really were pretty awful, the Class 700s are miles better in every way.

In any case, there isn't enough Classes 700s to consider running to Corby.

On Moderation
The 700s are pretty awful. Things like driver training are quite small fry in this sub-forum of wires everywhere, tunnelling under the Fylde and so forth. Easily done within any accompanying timeframe (e.g. the expansive Bedford EWR uber-station is way less likely than some driver/route clearing!)

Another option is something less exciting. A DMU shuttle from Bedford to Corby and maybe beyond - tapping out and feeding from the Kettering call of 1tph EMU to Leicester once wired (of the 360s/whatever is on that route in future).
I assume you mean EMU shuttle Bedford to Corby?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I assume you mean EMU shuttle Bedford to Corby?

If demand grows for the new electric service, and you do want to extend it to Leicester, portion-working (4 to each, or 4 to one and 8 to the other) would probably achieve that if there aren't paths to double the service. Or possibly even consider new 5 x 24m EMUs then you could do half and half.

RobShipway

Established Member
If demand grows for the new electric service, and you do want to extend it to Leicester, portion-working (4 to each, or 4 to one and 8 to the other) would probably achieve that if there aren't paths to double the service. Or possibly even consider new 5 x 24m EMUs then you could do half and half.
But extending it to Leicester, unless electrification of the line is extended from Corby would would be needing I suspect either three car class 170 units on the route or 3 or 4 car class 755 bi - mode units, but rather than the centre car holding diesel engine(s), I suspect would be holding rechargeable batteries. But if it is that, you would need a point within any sidings at Leicester where the batteries could be recharged from mains power.

A0wen

On Moderation

But as various posters keep pointing out *there aren't more available paths between Kettering and Leicester* so talk of splitting units and everything else is academic.

For evidence see post #21

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
But as various posters keep pointing out *there aren't more available paths between Kettering and Leicester* so talk of splitting units and everything else is academic.
And sending them via Melton Mowbray to Leicester would be too slow, no paths that way either?

Just curious but how much time is needed to do Leicester to Kettering via Market Harborough vs via Melton Mowbray?

The other issue as well at Leicester which seems to be overlooked as well is the fact that only having 4 platforms and the fact that a XC service occupys a platform for a extended period of time (Birmingham to Leicester stoppers) is that platform capacity is at a premium there.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

For evidence see post #21

Indeed. Allow me to explain, using northbound as an example.

To fit the Corby service in the timetable south of Harpenden means it must be (roughly) 15 minutes away from the Sheffield/Nottingham pair. Because of the stops the Corby makes, it arrives at Kettering, on the slow line, just as the next Sheffield passes Kettering. The following Nottingham is 4 minutes behind, and calls. Allowing for the time to split units, a Leicester portion of the Corby would depart a further 4 minutes behind the Nottingham. That, unfortunately, puts it right in the middle of the standard freight path, which itself only just makes it to Wigston before the next Sheffield. Even if that freight path wasn’t there, then a Leicester portion off a Corby would arrive at Wigston right on top of a Birmingham - Leicester once an hour, and finding a platform at Leicester would be ‘interesting’.

A0wen

On Moderation
And sending them via Melton Mowbray to Leicester would be too slow, no paths that way either?

Just curious but how much time is needed to do Leicester to Kettering via Market Harborough vs via Melton Mowbray?
Best example is the new EMR timetable:

19.34 departure from Kettering gets to Leicester at 19.56 - 22 mins.

19.35 departure from Kettering gets to Melton Mowbray at 20.16 - 41 minutes and Leicester would be a further 10-15 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.