• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Just seen an EMR Aurora 810 video with a 170 render in the video.

See it on YouTube here and pause straightaway to see the render.
Are EMR putting new seats in the 170s or is this render just for show of what maybe possible?

New seats, specifically FISA LEANS, as discussed on the previous page

Energy

Established Member
Just seen an EMR Aurora 810 video with a 170 render in the video.

See it on YouTube here and pause straightaway to see the render.
Are EMR putting new seats in the 170s or is this render just for show of what maybe possible?
They are getting new seats due to the 170s having varying seats depending on where they came from.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I believe that's taken that FISA LEAN seats are to be installed in place of the Chapmans during the refurbishment.
New seats, specifically FISA LEANS, as discussed on the previous page
They are getting new seats due to the 170s having varying seats depending on where they came from.
Nice. I don't mind LEANs as I sampled those on a 755 last year and would say they are right up there with the best new train seats there are. :D

SteveyBee131

Awesome stuff!

Hopefully I don't send us too far off topic though if I briefly put my pedantic coat on. After all, it's not the first class 170 to Lincolnshire in 13 years, as TPE 170s came to Lincolnshire daily until 2016, only 5 years ago (if Lincolnshire is taken as a whole of course!)

WillPS

Established Member
Did TPE 170s make it east of Yorkshire? The only ones I can remember seeing on south TPE were Sheffield terminators.

OTRail

Did TPE 170s make it east of Yorkshire? The only ones I can remember seeing on south TPE were Sheffield terminators.
They were the dedicated units for the Pic - Hull services due to stock shortages and weight restrictions in the Selby area

DB

They were the dedicated units for the Pic - Hull services due to stock shortages and weight restrictions in the Selby area

They definitely didn't only appear on that route. They were common on the S Pennine services (at one time I was getting a train at a bit after 5 from Doncaster to Sheffield once a week or so, and it was a pair of 170s more often than not). Seen them in York too, although that was rare.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Just out of curiosity, will there be enough 3-car sets to replace 2-car 15x trains? I've a feeling that 2-car 170's generally have less seats than a 2-car 156 and 158. I know the XC 170's do but I don't know if the EMR ones will.

2-car sets replacing a 153 means more capacity of course.

OTRail

They definitely didn't only appear on that route. They were common on the S Pennine services (at one time I was getting a train at a bit after 5 from Doncaster to Sheffield once a week or so, and it was a pair of 170s more often than not). Seen them in York too, although that was rare.
Yes I know, but the question was “did they ever make it to east yorkshire”.
They worked the Man Air - Cleethorpes service from Sundays to Fridays.

SteveyBee131

I had a feeling I might open a can of worms! :oops: and now we've drifted way off topic, I'll round it up by saying there were 2 all day diagrams for 170s on TPE Cleethorpes route Monday to Saturday, 1 was a single unit, the other was a pair.

Trying to get back to the topic of the thread, yesterday's training trips reaching Lincoln might be a step in the right direction towards 170s having freedom to cover more of the EMR area. May there be many more... :D

OTRail

I had a feeling I might open a can of worms! :oops: and now we've drifted way off topic, I'll round it up by saying there were 2 all day diagrams for 170s on TPE Cleethorpes route Monday to Saturday, 1 was a single unit, the other was a pair.

Trying to get back to the topic of the thread, yesterday's training trips reaching Lincoln might be a step in the right direction towards 170s having freedom to cover more of the EMR area. May there be many more... :D
I heard something about the gauging at Lincoln no longer being able to accept 170s? Can imagine this has since been/is in the process of being updated

Mollman

Established Member
Yes I know, but the question was “did they ever make it to east yorkshire”.
They worked the Man Air - Cleethorpes service from Sundays to Fridays.
Technically the question was
To which the answer is no, as east of Yorkshire is the North Sea

OTRail

I wonder if the WMR 170s will be more reliable than the Ex-ScotRail examples.
From my experience, the WMR 170s haven’t been in the best of shape in recent times - you can tell the motors are near to being conked out when they accelerate and on some occasions the PIS and interior lighting doesn’t work.

OTRail

The Liverpool to Norwich line will be the last line to get the 170's with the 158's remaining on it for a few more years yet.
That’s a shame - having used the line regularly over the last few years, the stock’s in desperate need of an upgrade...

raetiamann

The Liverpool - Norwich service will be no more with it going to Liverpool - Nottingham and a separate service for Norwich going through to Derby. I assume its the Norwich leg the will be the final route to be added to the 170 routes, as the speculation around the Liverpools was for class 185 or even class 175 being planned.

superkev

Established Member
A Scotrail liveried 3 car 170 passed through Mirfield today on it's way to Crewe. Anyone know if its a transfer or some other purpose?
HavecEMR recievedxsll there ex Scotrail 170s?
Thanks
K

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A Scotrail liveried 3 car 170 passed through Mirfield today on it's way to Crewe. Anyone know if its a transfer or some other purpose?
HavecEMR recievedxsll there ex Scotrail 170s?
Thanks
K

Nothing to do with EMR. It was Scotrail 170428 on it's way to Crewe for refurbishment and already posted in the Non-Urgent TOPS request thread.. That is where the contract lies.

On Moderation
Prob not the right thread but EMR have been carrying out some 158 maintenance at an empty looking Neville hill. 158777 and 810 have visited recently.
K

Anyone have an update list of current and future EMR 170s. Thanks.
K
Current EMR 170s: 416-420/530/531

To come from West Mids: 501-517/532-535.

Beyond that, Should be a large chunk of the GTR 171s, but only if/when they can get replacements.

raetiamann

It seems to me that most agree that without the 171s EMR can't achieve the numbers of 170 needs for the regional services, and many posters point out with passion that GTR won't be releasing them anytime soon as replacements haven't be sorted. What we don't hear is how hard the search is to get the replacements or even if those sets are being sought at all.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder to stick to actual Class 170 updates in this thread please.

We do welcome speculative posts but we do request that these are posted in the appropriate forum section please.

If anyone wishes to discuss anything other Class 170 updates please create a new thread (if there isn't a suitable one already) or use an existing thread, such as:

Thanks!

Spirit555

I have been advised that 170515 is leaving WMR for EMR today via Crewe for repaint etc.

Mark