• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

170271 is parked in Doncaster this evening on a service to Peterborough, what made me notice it was a huge piece of graffiti on the side covering panels, doors & some of the windows.

170UTD

Why are 170501/505/506 not in service yet? It's been months since they came over. Is it due to something simple like lack of space on Etches Park or something else?

43102EMR

Established Member
Why are 170501/505/506 not in service yet? It's been months since they came over. Is it due to something simple like lack of space on Etches Park or something else?
Most likely space at Etches Park - last I saw they were right in the middle of electrifying it, so can imagine they’ll move over once the works there are finished.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Does anything still use Eastcroft? It used to be packed with 156s even after Derby became the main Regional DMU depot. I’m well aware they’ve all gone now, mind.

LowLevel

Established Member
Does anything still use Eastcroft? It used to be packed with 156s even after Derby became the main Regional DMU depot. I’m well aware they’ve all gone now, mind.
Yes, it's full. The depot and station are both used for stabling and the depot itself does repairs, exams and fuelling. The 158s are allocated to Eastcroft and the 170s to Etches Park but they both work on both fleets.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, it's full. The depot and station are both used for stabling and the depot itself does repairs, exams and fuelling. The 158s are allocated to Eastcroft and the 170s to Etches Park but they both work on both fleets.
Good to know the space isn’t going to waste :)

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Do we know if there are anymore 170s awaiting to transfer from TFW/Southern/ScotRail to EMR please? I can't remember what the current situation is sorry.

DannyMich2018

Do we know if there are anymore 170s awaiting to transfer from TFW/Southern/ScotRail to EMR please? I can't remember what the current situation is sorry.
3 more 170/2s from TFW this autumn, can't remember which 3 though!
1 from Southern (171201-will be renumbered 170421), none from Scotrail. Hope this helps.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
3 more 170/2s from TFW this autumn, can't remember which 3 though!
1 from Southern (171201-will be renumbered 170421), none from Scotrail. Hope this helps.
206-208 which sound repulsively unhealthy departing of late. Do we have a rough date of transfer over?

QSK19

I don’t believe so - even then will likely be vinyled like the ex-GA/TfW units
I thought that the cascaded permanent fleet was supposed to be getting painted instead of vinyled? Or did the DfT decide not to allow a repaint budget beyond the 170/5s and 360s? Or maybe there is nothing formal specifying paint/vinyl?

LowLevel

Established Member
It all depends when they're due to be painted in accordance with the maintenance schedule. If the paint is under warranty they're not going to rub it down and do it again, hence vinyl. The 170/2s were only painted a few years ago hence not being done again.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Does anyone know when the units running on the Crewe-Derby service will be internally refurbished (or at least cleaned)?

I can't remember ever being on a train with such manky carpets, and I live in Northern Trains land! They're disgusting. Give me the 158's any day for presentation.