• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doomotron

That is truly cursed... A Class 170, with odd number fonts, with a Dellner, in Southern livery with odd EMR branding.

QSK19

That is truly cursed... A Class 170, with odd number fonts, with a Dellner, in Southern livery with odd EMR branding.
Haha. Having looked at the 9, there’s been absolutely no effort to blend it in with the other numbers. I mean, a quick 10 second scan through a font list would have identified a similar font to the other numbers (eg Swiss 721) :lol:

Whilst one could argue that the important thing is to be able to identity the unit number (and the 9 definitely does enable that), the font mismatch seems to be at odds with EMR’s usual sharp focus on appearance/marketing/PR (indeed, I have levelled the style-over-substance accusation at them multiple times).

On Moderation
Haha. Having looked at the 9, there’s been absolutely no effort to blend it in with the other numbers. I mean, a quick 10 second scan through a font list would have identified a similar font to the other numbers (eg Swiss 721) :lol:
It's the weight of the font rather the typeface itself that is the problem.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Better to have rushed putting the "9" on, and getting the units in service, than for them to sit out of traffic for another couple months being vinyled into Purple and the Dellners replaced

Even if the unit number is a bit of a mess, but it means extra coaches on a network not blessed with ample rolling stock (and with 156s moving away to the Northern blackhole soon)

QSK19

Better to have rushed putting the "9" on, and getting the units in service, than for them to sit out of traffic for another couple months being vinyled into Purple and the Dellners replaced

Even if the unit number is a bit of a mess, but it means extra coaches on a network not blessed with ample rolling stock (and with 156s moving away to the Northern blackhole soon)
I completely get that - important to get it into service so that the stock issues can be eased at least a little bit. As much as I am extremely keen to see the long-term Regional stock refurbished, this clearly cannot be done until stock availability is much better.

I just found it ironic that the quick “number 9 job” is not in keeping with EMR’s usual high attention to detail when it comes to style over substance, that’s all :)

43102EMR

Established Member
If the couplers are still incompatible, why have they been renumbered?
I think it’s to do with unit allocations, so that the diagrams between the compatible and incompatible 170s are kept separate so as to avoid the awkward situation of attempting to couple them together!

py_megapixel

Established Member
I think it’s to do with unit allocations, so that the diagrams between the compatible and incompatible 170s are kept separate so as to avoid the awkward situation of attempting to couple them together!
That would be a reason not to renumber the 171s into the 170 range, surely?

On Moderation
That would be a reason not to renumber the 171s into the 170 range, surely?
I think it has been explained previously that the traincrew paperwork for EMR has "Class 170" competence. That means they would need to change all the crew competencies to add Class 171 - yes, we all know a 171 is a 170 with a different coupler, but in the world of safety critical competencies that doesn't hold much water. Therefore, the decision was taken to renumber them back as 170s, but as 1709xx so that the Dellner fitted sets were still differentiated.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

Exactly leasing these trains costs money so they need to be carrying passengers around not sitting in sidings because they aren't the right colour.

Attachments

• 2022-5896 November 01st Nottingham 170-922.jpg
    2022-5896 November 01st Nottingham 170-922.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 2022-5897 November 01st Nottingham 170-922.jpg
    2022-5897 November 01st Nottingham 170-922.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 223

anamyd

On Moderation
A couple of 170922 at Nottingham
Nice photos. I see it has signs at both ends that look like the non-multi ones, but it looks like they say more than just non-multi. I wonder if they say something about the different couplers?

170UTD

According to an interview in Rail Magazine the depot manager at Tyseley has said with the 196 diagrams increasing, depot space is at a premium so 170s will be moving to EMR "in the coming weeks"

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
According to an interview in Rail Magazine the depot manager at Tyseley has said with the 196 diagrams increasing, depot space is at a premium so 170s will be moving to EMR "in the coming weeks"
Positive news for all three TOC’s concerned and their customers.

fgwrich

Established Member
I’m not surprised, lucky that it’s 4 car DMUs freeing up 2 car units. Good to see that EMR will finally get its units at last, which hopefully will allow EMR some slack in the fleet to draw up its refurbishment plans at last.

Established Member
I’m not surprised, lucky that it’s 4 car DMUs freeing up 2 car units. Good to see that EMR will finally get its units at last, which hopefully will allow EMR some slack in the fleet to draw up its refurbishment plans at last.
and re-introduce the missing services as well.

170UTD

I've seen a post on Facebook that says the 170s are due to start transferring from WMT next week with 6 staying until April until everyone at Worcester is driver trained on them. Anyone know anything?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I've seen a post on Facebook that says the 170s are due to start transferring from WMT next week with 6 staying until April until everyone at Worcester is driver trained on them. Anyone know anything?
Six seems rather a lot. Currently there's only one or two per day being used on Hereford via Worcester services. The awful 172s have taken over relentlessly.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Does anyone know which units are also moving across please? Thank you.

Established Member
170272 now has EMR Regional branding on its Greater Anglia white and red livery.

170424 has moved from Barrow Hill and was on Etches Park this evening, not yet renumbered to 170924.