• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailWonderer

Established Member
It will be interesting to see if a 3 car is up to the task from Norwich. 2 car 158 are always packed
170s have been doing this route for the last year, not booked, but in substitution for 158s. A 4 car 158 has more capacity than a 3 car 170. A pair of 2 car 170s would be better if anything.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
0635 Nottingham to Liverpool, 0951 Liverpool to Norwich and 1548 Norwich to Liverpool will be the booked diagram. 6 car West of Nottingham in the morning and 3 car the rest of the day.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
0635 Nottingham to Liverpool, 0951 Liverpool to Norwich and 1548 Norwich to Liverpool will be the booked diagram. 6 car West of Nottingham in the morning and 3 car the rest of the day.

Wait until the residents of Hazel Grove get wind of that :D

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Path for 170207 is in place
It’s currently working 1517 Cardiff Ctrl to Maesteg. I’m stood next to it. TfW getting their money’s worth right to the bitter end!

IMG_4533.jpeg

Photo shows 170207 at Cardiff Central.

Established Member
It’s currently working 1517 Cardiff Ctrl to Maesteg. I’m stood next to it. TfW getting their money’s worth right to the bitter end!

View attachment 147879

Photo shows 170207 at Cardiff Central.

It looks dirty, clapped out and generally knackered. It should fit in perfectly with the rest of the EMR fleet!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It looks dirty, clapped out and generally knackered. It should fit in perfectly with the rest of the EMR fleet!
Wait until you hear how it (and 170206 especially, which is already with EMR) sounds. They sound absolutely gone taking off. The engine of a healthy 170 should not be making those sounds.

The Greater Anglia logo is also clearly visible on the front coach.

Established Member
Wait until you hear how it (and 170206 especially, which is already with EMR) sounds. They sound absolutely gone taking off. The engine of a healthy 170 should not be making those sounds.

I try and avoid them. They’re worse inside than the sprinters! The XC ones are better, some of those are ex Midland Mainline AIUI.

ChrisC

Established Member
It will fit in very well then with some of the others. I regularly do a circular walk which takes in the trail on the old Great Northern line which runs parallel to the Robin Hood Line. Some of the 170’s sound so rough and noisy as they slowly plod up the gradient between Hucknall and Newstead stations. There was very little noise from the 156’s when they ran up there. The 158’s also make very little noise in comparison to the 170’s. It’s not the noise, but how rough some of them sound, which makes me wonder if EMR have once more got a bad deal.

Wolfie

Established Member
It will fit in very well then with some of the others. I regularly do a circular walk which takes in the trail on the old Great Northern line which runs parallel to the Robin Hood Line. Some of the 170’s sound so rough and noisy as they slowly plod up the gradient between Hucknall and Newstead stations. There was very little noise from the 156’s when they ran up there. The 158’s also make very little noise in comparison to the 170’s. It’s not the noise, but how rough some of them sound, which makes me wonder if EMR have once more got a bad deal.
The 170s are approximately 25 years old. They must be due some serious work.

fgwrich

Established Member

The Greater Anglia logo is also clearly visible on the front coach.
If it's anything like this video, that has to be the wheeziest Turbostar I've ever heard!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
If it's anything like this video, that has to be the wheeziest Turbostar I've ever heard!

Exactly what I meant. That has been what 206 and 207 have sounded like the past half year. Its abhorrent. 208 isn’t as bad.

Established Member

T74

Some interesting formations on the Liverpool to Nottingham service yesterday including 8 car 158s but also a couple of 3 and 6 car 170 workings.

Think that was due to no tpe service due to strike and a Friday services always busy . So 8 car was to accommodate ppl it was split at Liverpool and they then strengthened services from there for a couple of services

liamf656

Think that was due to no tpe service due to strike and a Friday services always busy . So 8 car was to accommodate ppl it was split at Liverpool and they then strengthened services from there for a couple of services
Nothing was split at Liverpool. They ran an 8 car for a round trip, then ran two 4 cars to Liverpool which coupled up to make an 8. It was due to service disruption and cancellations on the EMR route

Killingworth

Established Member
Nothing was split at Liverpool. They ran an 8 car for a round trip, then ran two 4 cars to Liverpool which coupled up to make an 8. It was due to service disruption and cancellations on the EMR route

It would be interesting to know how well used these longer trains were. Many potential users had probably heard it was a strike day and avoided travel by rail.

1R52 from Nottingham ran as 6 car yesterday, 11th, but started 20 minutes late and was 39 down at Liverpool. Apparently an experimental 170 upgrade from 2 car 158 last week it wasn't a good start.

Today it's running as 3 car 170 and was 12 minutes late at Sheffield but recovered to only 3 down at Piccadilly.

If the longer consist can be reliably provided it should be commercially successful.

Last edited: