• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

3973EXL

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ciderking

YSTrains

On Moderation
I'm not trying to go off topic, but does anyone know where in the North Acton/Old Oak Common/Willesden Junction area I might see another move?

Last edited by a moderator:

MML

Where do the Class 360s get an exterior wash? Is there a wash road at Kettering sidings? The windows on some of the older blue units are filthy and covered in a layer of black grime which obscures any view.

Hairy Bear

They only get washed when they visit Bedford Caudwells on exam . That is normally at an interval of 21 days. Unbelievable, but true unfortunately.

westcoaster

Established Member
They only get washed when they visit Bedford Caudwells on exam . That is normally at an interval of 21 days. Unbelievable, but true unfortunately.
There was talk of the wash at cricklewood being used but no idea what came of it.
The amount on Cauldwell i would say they visit more often (5 on depot the other day, only booked 2).

43102EMR

Established Member
Considering that these trains form part of EMR’s final fleet, that isn’t great in all honesty…

QSK19

Considering that these trains form part of EMR’s final fleet, that isn’t great in all honesty…
I just wonder whether so much effort is being put into the 810s that they’re neglecting the rest of the fleet, including even the final fleet.

43102EMR

Established Member
Welcome to DfT Penny Pinching?
More like welcome to an Abellio-led franchise…

I just wonder whether so much effort is being put into the 810s that they’re neglecting the rest of the fleet, including even the final fleet.
I personally think that after the fleet’s full introduction, they’ll be in the same situation. Looking at Abellio’s new stock for their other franchises tells the same story…

STINT47

Welcome to DfT Penny Pinching?

More an Abellio thing. The rest of EMRs fleet is often dirty and on trips yp Scotland and Norfolk last year Scotrail and Greater Anglia were also poor.

Having said that once every 21 days sets a new low. It surely can't be that expensive to install a washer at Kettering?

Bikeman78

Established Member
It's not unique to the 360s. The 317s are covered in grime and the 387s running out of King's Cross are even worse. I've seen two clean ones recently, the rest are filthy.

Geeves

Established Member
Not wanting to turn this into a tranwashing debate how ever wash plants are not used when the temperature is around zero (or lower) to save busting the whole thing up.

360s are still a good quality unit even when dirty!

Mikey C

Established Member
Not wanting to turn this into a tranwashing debate how ever wash plants are not used when the temperature is around zero (or lower) to save busting the whole thing up.

360s are still a good quality unit even when dirty!
Not an issue at the moment anyway, the weather has been mild for a couple of weeks

CDM

It's not unique to the 360s. The 317s are covered in grime and the 387s running out of King's Cross are even worse. I've seen two clean ones recently, the rest are filthy.
Cambridge Sidings is the primary stabling location for Class 317's (and also takes 387's). It hasn't had a Carriage Wash since 2019 due to redevelopment works. Not ideal, but no other option and this will have impacted exterior cleanliness of both those fleets, to be fair.

Not an issue at the moment anyway, the weather has been mild for a couple of weeks
It's been at or below zero overnight most nights. And that's when most trains return to the Depot and can get washed. So yes, it is an issue at the moment.

I very much doubt there is space available with 4 stabling roads maxed out overnight, and only a short headshunt.
Mini carriage washes don't take up much space on track at all. mtr installed one on the headshunt at Gidea Park.

You do need decent utility connections and space for the tanks and control equipment in nearby proximity though.

They aren't as good as a proper carriage wash but could certainly give an improvement in the scenario you're talking about there.

Last edited:

CBlue

Huh. I must have been imagining all the thick frost on my car every morning for the past several weeks. It's only gotten mild here (East Anglia) in the past few days..

As an aside, the other issues with fitting a wash unit anywhere is the fuss locals near a depot or sidings can cause when installation is planned. There have been multiple attempts to quash the one planned at Cambridge

Funny how all the other main line stock (ie. GWR/Avanti/LNER) are normally spotless, yet most of EMR's stock including all the 222's are filthy.
Also Thameslink keep all the 700's reasonably clean so don't know why they can't keep the 387's clean.
You also don't very offten see a 374 or 395 turned out dirty at the start of the day.

Mollman

Established Member

MML

The same pair of units sat down earlier today at Luton for 30 minutes on 1Y02.
At least 2 services are now operating with 4-car units again.

Are the visits to Eastleigh just for repainting or are the units also receiving heavy maintenance?

43102EMR

Established Member
The same pair of units sat down earlier today at Luton for 30 minutes on 1Y02.
At least 2 services are now operating with 4-car units again.

Are the visits to Eastleigh just for repainting or are the units also receiving heavy maintenance?
Sadly just for the repaints, which considering their poor reliability, seems a bit of a waste to go that far…