• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Driver rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglian96

Hi was just wondering if anyone can show me what the EMR drivers rosters are like at St Pancras?

Also any agreements in place for early/late shifts ie hotels given to us etc.

Any info would be great thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class2ldn

Hi was just wondering if anyone can show me what the EMR drivers rosters are like at St Pancras?

Pretty sure they don't pay for any hotels mate , night turns will be spent mostly at cricklewood I believe fueling the units and preps.
Not sure on start and finish times for jobs.
You'll automatically go onto sundays inside so they will be part of your roster.
I'm sure more people will have better info.

anglian96

Pretty sure they don't pay for any hotels mate , night turns will be spent mostly at cricklewood I believe fueling the units and preps.
Not sure on start and finish times for jobs.
You'll automatically go onto sundays inside so they will be part of your roster.
I'm sure more people will have better info.
Thanks for the reply

Class2ldn

I'm not sure who does it exactly but its for the purpose of fueling them anyway

Last edited:

Amex88

What chances are there for permenant swaps there? Also are they due a payrise e.g are they striking like others?

LCC106

Established Member
Yep. EMR have been striking along with the rest. I don’t know what the rosters are like but there is at least one Pancras driver on here who may shed some light. No hotels.

ZNB13

True 4 day week, long weekend every 3rd week. Sunday inside, first sign on 04:54 last sign off 00:30. Night turns sign on between 20:30 to 23:00 finish between 05:39 to 07:00 Sunday to Friday, Saturday night turns, latest finish is 09:00 (Sunday morning). No lodging turns. Hope this helps.

whoosh

Established Member
No hotels - you are thinking of Eurostar!
No taxis I don't think - there certainly never used to be.
When the earliest shift got moved from 05:45 to 05:12 they would let you claim mileage on your car for that shift only but no taxi. (You get free parking underneath St Pancras). Since then the earliest start moved to 04:29 but I see from post above it's 04:54 now - not sure if they got a taxi out of that? Maybe Abellio are better than Stagecoach, but I dare say it's the same stingy people at Derby head office making the, "Why should they?" decisions.

Nights were moving trains around at Cricklewood to be refuelled (there is a person there who hooks up the pipes, records how much each pump dispenses, and liases with tanker lorry drivers, so you don't do any of that). Should get about three hours dead time after fuelling has been done, so take a sleeping bag/blow up bed.

The Saturday night shift mentioned above is new - I'll speculate and say it might not involve refuelling, and might go to Corby/Kettering, but I'm just guessing. There was a nightshift to Leicester, ECS to Derby, and back years ago.

Sundays in the working week - Last roster I saw was about 10-12 Sundays a year, so pretty good.
There were more AM shifts than PM shifts, but these were arranged so that the later starts (8,9,10am type starts) were on alternate weeks to the early AMs.

Typical work:
I dont know the current diagrams, but it used to be the following sort of thing:

Corby and back, Nottingham and back, or the other way around.

Sheffield and back.

Nottingham and back, Cricklewood sidings and back in a taxi.

Nottingham, pass to Derby, then to Sheffield and back to London.

Nottingham or Derby (both about the same distance) and back twice. You could only be rostered two of these in a week (unless you did rest day work).

I believe Rest Day Work is time and a half now.

ZNB13

No hotels - you are thinking of Eurostar!
No taxis I don't think - there certainly never used to be.
When the earliest shift got moved from 05:45 to 05:12 they would let you claim mileage on your car for that shift only but no taxi. (You get free parking underneath St Pancras). Since then the earliest start moved to 04:29 but I see from post above it's 04:54 now - not sure if they got a taxi out of that? Maybe Abellio are better than Stagecoach, but I dare say it's the same stingy people at Derby head office making the, "Why should they?" decisions.

Nights were moving trains around at Cricklewood to be refuelled (there is a person there who hooks up the pipes, records how much each pump dispenses, and liases with tanker lorry drivers, so you don't do any of that). Should get about three hours dead time after fuelling has been done, so take a sleeping bag/blow up bed.

The Saturday night shift mentioned above is new - I'll speculate and say it might not involve refuelling, and might go to Corby/Kettering, but I'm just guessing. There was a nightshift to Leicester, ECS to Derby, and back years ago.

Sundays in the working week - Last roster I saw was about 10-12 Sundays a year, so pretty good.
There were more AM shifts than PM shifts, but these were arranged so that the later starts (8,9,10am type starts) were on alternate weeks to the early AMs.

Typical work:
I dont know the current diagrams, but it used to be the following sort of thing:

Corby and back, Nottingham and back, or the other way around.

Sheffield and back.

Nottingham and back, Cricklewood sidings and back in a taxi.

Nottingham, pass to Derby, then to Sheffield and back to London.

Nottingham or Derby (both about the same distance) and back twice. You could only be rostered two of these in a week (unless you did rest day work).

I believe Rest Day Work is time and a half now.
Work now is Double Corby.
Nottingham (Slow) then Corby or Corby, Nottingham (slow).
Very little Sheffield, expect Weekends.
Work about 18 Sundays per year.
Nights shifts involved shunting EMUs around and fueling the DMUs. Very little time to get head down. All night work is Cricklewood. Saturday night was introduced around a year or so ago.
No Taxi agreement, only if you miss your last train home. Free parking still there.

Amex88

What about getting a permenant swap? Any chances of that happening? Does the company allow it? Thanks

ZNB13

What about getting a permenant swap? Any chances of that happening? Does the company allow it? Thanks
I believe you have to submit your change over a week in advance. Sure drivers will want to take your nights and early shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.