• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Overcrowding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 170101

Established Member
Doesn't look like anything is happening so far regards the Grand National just some extra Skegness services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

modernrail

They've not worked properly since TrainFX was installed (some were rubbish before that I'll allow). 5 plus years down the line it shows no sign of being reliably fixed especially when the units are running in multiple. Some are fine, others are not. This isn't a PA fault, it's an augmented system failing to work entirely.

The situation with units isn't good. Not helped though for example by football fans smashing them up as per Grimsby Town the other week, or last night's superb example where the guard went through their train to find it plastered from front to back with both solid and liquid human waste, now out of traffic for deep cleaning.
Is this what we have become? Seriously disgusting humans.

liamf656

Is this what we have become? Seriously disgusting humans.
Calling them humans is putting it politely! I believe it’s the same people who are responsible for the missing tables and chairs in various 170s too (if that hasn’t already been mentioned)

modernrail

Calling them humans is putting it politely! I believe it’s the same people who are responsible for the missing tables and chairs in various 170s too (if that hasn’t already been mentioned)
Vile.

I dream of a day when Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Nottingham finally get to be considered cities and the services between them inter-city so they can have TPE sized trains. That said, I was hoping that for TPE for about 20 years before it happened and so let’s keep having to argue about where the service should be 2 very old DMU carriages or 4 very old DMU carriages for years longer.

I have a soft spot for the 158’s but let’s be clear, that service should have been a proper intercity service for a long time now with at least 5 carriages and trains that almost always turn up at their proper length. Some of my most memorable ‘**** you trains l’ moments have been caused by that half assed service turning up so overcrowded you can’t get on with an hour to wait until the next one. Also some of my most unpleasant platform scrums.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The railway has a more fundamental problem, that by their own efforts they have made operation more difficult for themselves. There have been a series of new diesel trains built in recent years, but the railway seems to delight in coming up with a range of different reasons why the previous stock all has to be withdrawn in equal numbers immediately, in fact often before the new ones turn up (or they all turn up but sit in sidings for their first couple of years). Then anything which does seem to have become spare can't be used anyway because other crews don't know what the different knobs do. This was never a problem with the original diesel multiple units, because despite being built by a whole range of different manufacturers it was ensured that they all had the same controls. Even where an operator has multiple types established, saving pennies on training leads to different crews having only individual knowledge, or it being forgotten because they don't get rostered one day on one type, other days a different type, to keep their knowledge current.
Much as it paineth me to praise a GWR-ist, I fear Taunton speaketh much sense.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The chances of short forming goes up too given the lack of ability to couple on a 15x if 170 availability isn't sufficient. Not sure the plan will go ahead anyway with Wumpty Rail delaying their delightful new fleet's entry into service yet again.
What's the problem with coupling 170s to other units? Other TOCs do it.

Edit: I see question has been answered but why is it an East Midlands specific problem? Don't other TOCs use train FX? There was a 150+170 in Wales just a few days ago.

MattRat

On Moderation
Vile.

I dream of a day when Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Nottingham finally get to be considered cities and the services between them inter-city so they can have TPE sized trains. That said, I was hoping that for TPE for about 20 years before it happened and so let’s keep having to argue about where the service should be 2 very old DMU carriages or 4 very old DMU carriages for years longer.

I have a soft spot for the 158’s but let’s be clear, that service should have been a proper intercity service for a long time now with at least 5 carriages and trains that almost always turn up at their proper length. Some of my most memorable ‘**** you trains l’ moments have been caused by that half assed service turning up so overcrowded you can’t get on with an hour to wait until the next one. Also some of my most unpleasant platform scrums.
Only way that happens is if you wipe London off the map. All that matters is London, everything else, even Birmingham, is secondary to it.

STINT47

Skegness overcrowding has already begun. At least three services heading to Skegness today have been reported as full and standing.

The 10:46 Nottinfham to Skegness full from Granthan.
The 11:46 Nottingham to Skegness full from Nottingham
The 15:46 Nottingham to Skegness full from Grantham.

sleeperguy

Would be interesting to hear what became of the liverpool crew depot plans. Is it still on ice or have they officially canned it?

Liverpool 507

Possibly a Meridian tomorrow perhaps?

Attachments

• FB75E9E6-9FB7-471B-AEE4-D6200F01F606.png
    FB75E9E6-9FB7-471B-AEE4-D6200F01F606.png
    337.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 582DE0A5-FA9D-40AF-807E-9185D83DA789.png
    582DE0A5-FA9D-40AF-807E-9185D83DA789.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 4826BE0B-5842-40CC-A589-EC2D1176E1F2.png
    4826BE0B-5842-40CC-A589-EC2D1176E1F2.png
    376.3 KB · Views: 154

Starmill

Veteran Member
Possibly a Meridian tomorrow perhaps?
That's quite amusing because it results in fast services from Manchester Piccadilly towards Sheffield and Nottingham at 2112, 2142 and 2153, plus the stopping service at 2228.

Although of course the 2118 Manchester Piccadilly to Cleethorpes isn't running.

Skymonster

Established Member
That's quite amusing because it results in fast services from Manchester Piccadilly towards Sheffield and Nottingham at 2112, 2142 and 2153, plus the stopping service at 2228.

Grand National

Llandudno

Established Member

If there are sufficient train crew available to operate them…

If there are, then I guess there won’t be many trains operating between Derby and Crewe?

Skymonster

Established Member
Send a Meridian to Liverpool but not enough train crew resulting in two London services binned…. Yeah, sounds like typical EMR!

LowLevel

Established Member
Send a Meridian to Liverpool but not enough train crew resulting in two London services binned…. Yeah, sounds like typical EMR!
Wouldn't make any difference, the 222 to Liverpool is I think being worked by one of the small number of Derby local side conductors who sign 222s for things like football specials, they can't go to London.

dk1

Veteran Member
Suppose they have plenty of alternatives though on the main line even if the two where connected.

liamf656

It is the unit shown as allocated to the 14:36 Etches Park - Liverpool ECS move (5Z01)
I can’t see anything allocated to RTT but I was told it was 222015

A bit off topic but something of interest, 180111 is working Sheffield to London services to prevent any shortfall, usually 180s only work to/from Nottingham

Established Member
After the 1433 to Matlock it is then a two hourly service for the rest of the day which is about the same time the 222 leaves Etches Park.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I can’t see anything allocated to RTT but I was told it was 222015

A bit off topic but something of interest, 180111 is working Sheffield to London services to prevent any shortfall, usually 180s only work to/from Nottingham
Yep it was 222015. Here it was pausing briefly at Manchester Oxford Road heading towards Liverpool

Attachments

• PXL_20220409_160847596.jpg
    PXL_20220409_160847596.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 130

Jozhua

Established Member
The railway has a more fundamental problem, that by their own efforts they have made operation more difficult for themselves. There have been a series of new diesel trains built in recent years, but the railway seems to delight in coming up with a range of different reasons why the previous stock all has to be withdrawn in equal numbers immediately, in fact often before the new ones turn up (or they all turn up but sit in sidings for their first couple of years). Then anything which does seem to have become spare can't be used anyway because other crews don't know what the different knobs do. This was never a problem with the original diesel multiple units, because despite being built by a whole range of different manufacturers it was ensured that they all had the same controls. Even where an operator has multiple types established, saving pennies on training leads to different crews having only individual knowledge, or it being forgotten because they don't get rostered one day on one type, other days a different type, to keep their knowledge current.
Stop saying things that are sensible!
Who do you think is running the show? It's not an overnight fix. Until WMR get their junky new trains in order not much is going to happen on that front.

Every major decision is stamped by the Government. If anything they've signalled an intent to have Abellio/EMR in place for up to the next 6 years provided terms are agreed.

A 4 car 170 with 244 seats (I think it is) would still provide enough theoretical seats for most services. Friday to Monday, probably not quite enough. This does of course depend on people actually sitting next to each other and an even distribution of people between the units.

I have noticed movement in some cosmetic ways though. The EMR branding has finally been rolled out on a larger scale with signage and station repaints, presumably with the DfT Service Quality Regime due to start in a few months. I've also noticed, as it happens, Avanti have been repainting their stations.

Personally I'm hoping for a Greater Anglia style recovery from the absolute pits. We shall see!
Hopefully - 170s would be MUCH more suitable for the service, as they can load/unload quicker at very congested stations such as Manchester.

Probably would need to keep the train fully walk through though.
These things are soon forgotten. The same could have been said of the dreadful state of Greater Anglia regional routes until just over a couple of years ago, but just look at it now.
Hopefully they can stage a turnaround!

The EMT service wasn't sustainable due to the sheer lack of capacity and aging trains with little slack for any to go out of service due to technical issues.

EMR haven't had a good time due to the pandemic, terrible DFT/Treasury planning and also their own incompetence. But there is certainly scope for a turnaround. The extra 222s could provide an opportunity for capacity relief on Norwich/Liverpool and the London routes, even if a few go over to XC.

QSK19

EMR haven't had a good time due to the pandemic, terrible DFT/Treasury planning and also their own incompetence. But there is certainly scope for a turnaround. The extra 222s could provide an opportunity for capacity relief on Norwich/Liverpool and the London routes, even if a few go over to XC.
I know many people have argued - correctly IMO - why 222s are not practical to operate Norwich-Liverpool; but sometimes I do think that anything is needed in order to have enough stock to operate EMR’s services!

It seems clear that the 196 situation won’t be sorted for a while (hence no more 170/5s transferring for the foreseeable future); and, as it stands, we don’t know for sure that the 158s are staying (I think RF users with inside knowledge have confirmed that they are; but there seem to have been no announcements from EMR, DfT or rail publications). I just have the gut feeling that the 810s will come into service before the 170/5s transfer over; so, combined with the fact that Northern will need the 156s at some point, if push comes to shove, maybe the chances of some of the 222s staying to provide cover wouldn’t be completely 0% - crazier things have happened (eg I think one user in this or another thread mentioned that the 180s may stay due to EMR not having ordered enough 810s). Highly unlikely that 222s would stay to provide cover, especially on Liverpool-Norwich, but cancelled and chronically short formed services surely can’t go on forever?!

Status
Not open for further replies.