• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Regional and Connect refurbishments

londonmidland

Established Member
East Midlands Railway have (finally) announced that they will be refurbishing their Class 158s, 170s and 360s as part of a £60 million pound refurbishment programme.

Read the full article here

East Midlands Railway (EMR) has announced the start of a £60 million programme to refurbish its fleet of Class 360, Class 158 and Class 170 trains.

The project is being delivered in partnership with Angel Trains, Siemens, Porterbrook, and Eversholt and leverages significant private sector investment.

All the work will be carried out in the UK providing a significant boost to the supply chain.

Together with the introduction of the new Aurora Intercity trains, this will mean that all of EMR’s trains will either be replaced with new trains or refurbished.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QSK19

Indeed, I don’t think the fanfare is deserved here - it has taken 4.5 years to get to this stage and should have happened sooner.

The delay to the Regional fleet is understandable given the dire rolling stock situation it has suffered (WMR’s 196 introduction delay being a pertinent example); however, DfT’s can kicking regarding the 360s has been unacceptable.

Said refurbishments are expected for mid-life stock; so the various people quoted in the announcement shouldn’t be dressing it up like we’re being treated to something absolutely amazing.

I must clarify that I am appreciative of the fact that trains will eventually be in a much better condition; however it’s taken long enough and is what passengers deserve and expect.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Just hope the Class 360 refurbishment will also see some 12-car running introduced in the peaks.

Sleepy

Established Member
About time 158 replacement stock was thought about given they're pushing 40 years old ??

Ewan Hetting

About time 158 replacement stock was thought about given they're pushing 40 years old ??
They where originally meant to be replaced by more 171s from southern however due to there rolling stock shortage its no longer happening and 158s are being kept.

liamf656

They where originally meant to be replaced by more 171s from southern however due to there rolling stock shortage its no longer happening and 158s are being kept.
Not quite, the original plan was for the 158 fleet to be taken out without replacement as TPE would have had the Liverpool to Nottingham service. But that was before the pandemic. Things changed, the Liverpool service stayed with EMR, so they needed to keep the 158s for it

Aspen90

Just hope the Class 360 refurbishment will also see some 12-car running introduced in the peaks.
No chance - we haven’t got any more units. We have all the 360’s as it is. Also it’s worth remembering that it’s not EMR who are responsible for the delay. It’s the DfT. We aren’t seen as a priority, the ECML and WCML are. The fight they’ve been putting forward to get the DfT to sign off any spend on them has been long drawn out and I’ve spoken to people at the top, the problem is the vast majority of the general public don’t understand the setup currently - you’re riding round on DfT stock, with the TOC being a colourful front to take the barrage of abuse!

westcoaster

Established Member
No chance - we haven’t got any more units. We have all the 360’s as it is. Also it’s worth remembering that it’s not EMR who are responsible for the delay. It’s the DfT. We aren’t seen as a priority, the ECML and WCML are. The fight they’ve been putting forward to get the DfT to sign off any spend on them has been long drawn out and I’ve spoken to people at the top, the problem is the vast majority of the general public don’t understand the setup currently - you’re riding round on DfT stock, with the TOC being a colourful front to take the barrage of abuse!
They have the units, just reliability is dire. They can barely manage the 12 out of 21 units needed most days.

Aspen90

They have the units, just reliability is dire. They can barely manage the 12 out of 21 units needed most days.
Sorry, I hadn’t taken in to account the reliability issues, I was thinking about available units. Yes the reliability is terrible!

QSK19

Very interesting insight and yep unfortunately EMR is in the position of being beholden to the DfT whose priorities are elsewhere. Just because there may be more lucrative routes elsewhere doesn’t mean the DfT should leave the MML behind!

It is frustrating that signing off a refurbishment has taken nearly half a decade to reach; but at least it is a major development and hopefully will lead to a better on board, more comfortable experience.

AndrewJM70

I have often said in conversations on this subject that a train shell is a train shell whether it is 4 months or 40 years old. Engines and wheels etc can be replaced. What matters most is the interior. I recently travelled on a refurbished Mk4 on the North Wales coast line. It was like a brand new coach - absolutely amazing.

i think that regular full refurbishments should be an integral part of franchise deals - every ten years as a minimum and should include a full interior refresh including new seats.

Ryry

With the 158 refurbishment will they get the emr full livery too or the outgoing one

Snow1964

Established Member
From the DfT proposed exemption to PRM (persons of reduced mobility) requested by Max Ordish at Porterbrook. (Also covers XC 170s)

Scope of the refurbishment, Class 170/1, 170/3, 170/5 and 170/6​

• new seats and tables throughout, retaining existing layouts
  • new PIS including:
    • LCD screens
    • call for aid (CfA)
    • passenger emergency alarm (PEA)

Scope of the refurbishment, Class 170/2​

• new seats and tables in the existing first-class areas, are to be declassified to a standard class area
  • new seats in the wheelchair area next to the universal access toilet (UAT)
  • no change to all other existing seats with foams and moquettes renewed only
  • new PIS including LCD screens, CfA, and PEA
The level of compliance achieved with the requirements of the PRM NTSN can be summarised for the refurbishment scope as follows:

• 90 requirements to achieve compliance achieved
  • 118 requirements not applicable
  • 2 requirements for dispensation
This summary clearly shows Porterbrook’s commitment to the betterment of the Class 170 fleet, with 90 of 92 applicable clauses meeting compliance in full.

Measures to enable disabled people to use the vehicles​

The Class 170 fleets involved in this refurbishment include measures to improve disabled people’s access to vehicles as follows:

• Improved internal LCD screens mounted at a 45-degree angle so wheelchair users in both the compliant and non-compliant position have a better viewing angle of the screen in the existing location. The forward-facing screen will also be updated as part of the refurbishment for the use of all passengers on platforms.
  • Real-time connected PIS allowing functionality for disabled people to be informed of upcoming issues with onward travel such as delays or accessibility issues at stations such as lifts out of service.
  • Reallocation of bicycle storage area to a separate and purpose-built area of the units to negate the existing issue of bicycles being stored in the wheelchair spaces. This will also ensure that wheelchair users and bicycle users will use separate external doors making alighting and onboarding a more seamless and less stressful experience for wheelchair users. Suitable onboard labelling and platform instructions will support this change for passengers.
  • Increased wheelchair turning area to be fully compliant with PRM, signage will support the area for informing all passengers of the priority wheelchair area.
  • Fitment of new PRM-compliant CfA systems mounted at the appropriate mounting locations next to the wheelchair positions.
  • New priority seating allocation throughout the unit to ensure that the seats designated are as close as possible to exterior doors with PRM-compliant spacing.
  • New companion seating in the wheelchair areas to negate existing operational issues with usable spares.
  • Improved walkway and clearway distances for travel to priority seating and wheelchair spaces.
  • Additional handrails added into the UAT area to improve accessibility in line with the latest PRM clauses.
This is in addition to existing PRM compliances throughout the vehicles which are unchanged because of this refurbishment.

Other upgrades as part of the refurbishment will also improve the overall experience for disabled passengers, for example, the new seating across all units will:

• improve the luggage space available to passengers
  • reduce the likelihood of luggage being stored in walkways, vestibules or wheelchair spaces

STINT47

Any news on when we can expect to see the first refurbished train. It's been a month sine tgd press releases so I would hope that at least one train has started being worked on.

On Moderation
Any news on when we can expect to see the first refurbished train. It's been a month sine tgd press releases so I would hope that at least one train has started being worked on.
You won't see any sign of a train being worked on yet - the project needs to be mobilised, orders placed for the materials and then time for the materials to be manufactured. That doesn't happen in a month.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
According to May's Modern Railways, the Connect units are to be refurbished with the same seats as the 810s in 2+2 configuration.

Wiggy49

Seems to be some big omissions in the plans to me, but still some good news at last given the poor state of the interiors.

I'm delighted see the 360s are getting "charging points", but it does not say if thats 240v mains power for laptops, or just 5v USB points for mobile phones.
But no mention of "charging points" on the 158s or 170s, which would be really useful given the long journeys these units operate and a missed opportunity to bring these up to date given I expect them to still have a long life ahead.

Also no mention of fitting public WiFi, either free or at extra cost per journey on any of the 360s, 158s or 170s.

Rick1984

Has anyone managed to fit reliable aircon to a class 158?
Wi-fi and power sockets would be most welcome, the phone signal on line is terrible.

Although in my experience when the phone signal drops, the wi-fi tends to drop at the same time, negating the benefit

Adam Evans

But no mention of "charging points" on the 158s or 170s, which would be really useful given the long journeys these units operate and a missed opportunity to bring these up to date given I expect them to still have a long life ahead.
Some of the EMR 158s do have USB charging points underneath the seats in the middle, but not all of them have this. They tend only to be present on the ones with warm lighting. But they are inconveniently located so I wouldn't be surprised if they're replaced with new 2-in-1 USB and three-pin plug sockets attached to the wall underneath the window or in between the seats facing forward.

D365

Veteran Member
I have often said in conversations on this subject that a train shell is a train shell whether it is 4 months or 40 years old.
Gross oversimplification… a vehicle at 40 years old is never the same as it was at 4 months old.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Some of the EMR 158s do have USB charging points underneath the seats in the middle, but not all of them have this. They tend only to be present on the ones with warm lighting. But they are inconveniently located so I wouldn't be surprised if they're replaced with new 2-in-1 USB and three-pin plug sockets attached to the wall underneath the window or in between the seats facing forward.
The Modern Railways story states that the 158s would have less refurbishment than the other classes due to less life remaining. It mentions new seat cover and foams but nothing else, and as sockets are only mentioned for the 360s I think it's very unlikely the 158s will see any change. Also I've read somewhere here that 158 electrical systems can't support the load from a full fit-out of mains sockets (the ones with First Class have sometimes had them there). This isn't particularly great, considering they operate EMR's longest journeys, and the fact an essentially random selection of them don't even have USB is even worse.

fgwrich

Established Member

Also I've read somewhere here that 158 electrical systems can't support the load from a full fit-out of mains sockets (the ones with First Class have sometimes had them there). This isn't particularly great, considering they operate EMR's longest journeys, and the fact an essentially random selection of them don't even have USB is even worse.

I can’t see it being too much of an issue, ScotRail’s 158 have plug sockets along the walls - both proper Inverness and Haymarket / Corkerhill units.

LowLevel

Established Member
The 158s without USBs will get them, but that's all.

170s getting 3 pin/USB A and C combined sockets on the seat backs.

ChrisC

Established Member
Their 158's are still pretty decent. Probably only need a re-trim.
I agree. The refurbishment of the 158 done for EMT when by Stagecoach has certainly lasted quite well. They certainly don’t feel like trains that are almost 35 years old now. I don‘t suppose they will have much more than another 10 years in service. I won’t start speculation about what old second hand stock the East Midlands will then get to replace them.