• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT Catering, evenings southbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Hope someone might know this. I'm going to be travelling southbound on EMT from Sheffield to London, 19:27, first class.

What catering will be available? Their website says that there will be "at seat dining on most trains" and has a hot foot menu (allbeit a short one), but the website doesn't define "most trains".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edvid

Established Member
How did you manage that? I've looked up that very journey (using April 14 as an example) on the East Coast and EMT sites, and that ticket is available for a few such journeys but not that particular service. :?

That said, £18 for nibbles and better accommodation for 165 out of 190-odd miles is still neat, and certainly much cheaper than the equivalent on EC! As it happens I'm travelling from Luton Airport Parkway to Sheffield and back in First Class for 20p shy of a Score (thanks to my Railcard and the EMT booking site discounts) in a month's time.

I booked on ticket release date, for early May. You can get First all the way from Leeds by using XC connection (every hour), it comes down to what you interpret by '+connections'. But seeing as that isn't defined anywhere, i'll take whatever interpretation favours my travel plans. Depending on the time of day, it is much cheaper than East Coast, but involves a connection and is an hour or more longer.

John @ home

Established Member
You can get First all the way from Leeds by using XC connection (every hour), it comes down to what you interpret by '+connections'. But seeing as that isn't defined anywhere, i'll take whatever interpretation favours my travel plans.
I wish you luck with your interpretation, but immediate success is not guaranteed. The terms & conditions for EMT Advance tickets state Tickets are valid ONLY on the date and train service(s) shown on the ticket(s). Where applicable, you must travel in the class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s). ... You may not start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station except to change to/from connecting trains as shown on the ticket(s) or other valid travel itinerary.

Changing trains without leaving the station is not break of journey, and it is not obvious from reading these conditions that observing valid travel itinerary is compulsory, but that is how XC staff have been instructed.

Ticket checking staff on CrossCountry know that the itinerary does not show an XC service unless a reservation is issued. I was asked for advice by a pasenger holding a London - Leeds route EMT & Connections First Class Advance ticket. The EMT train was due to arrive at Sheffield at xx04. The connection shown on the web site at the time of purchase was into the xx18 Northern service to Leeds. The EMT service was late and this connection was just missed. The passenger boarded the next train to Leeds, the xx21 CrossCountry service and sat in First Class accommodation. The train manager refused to accept the validity of the ticket until confirmation had been received from Control of the late running of the EMT service. This took some time. The passenger's comlimentary cup of tea was not served until well north of Wakefield.

If this continues, I can see a test case arising.

There is no 'travel itinerary'. There is just one seat reservation on the EMT portion, and nothing else. And no instructions about connections. The railways can't enforce made up rules that are not communicated to passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.