• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT First Class, any comps on a Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

Tomorrow I am going to have a ride from Leicester to Kettering and back via Manton Jct. With a railcard the fare is £7.20 and a George Osborne was only £3.70 extra return, so I did a G.O. :D

Do you get any coffee etc in First, as I can only remember in the Buffet car days when you went to the Buffet car, showed your First class ticket and collected your hot drink.
Presumably EMT have a customer host on a Sunday nowadays.
HST southbound and if I am really fortunate a HST northbound, but as I am no longer Usain Bolt in disguise, more likely a Meridian.
TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ivanhoe

Seriously, do you expect anything other than a nice seat for a 30 minute journey?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There should be a trolley service, especially as the buffets are now closed. Don't expect the trolley to appear though - as it will usually be in Standard Class where it can be making money. You can go and seek it out if you're so inclined but it may take most of the journey!

pjnathanail

EMT's weekend offer is a tea or coffee off the trolley-the buffets are closed permanently. Depending on the host they may check 1ST class after every stop, but if not on production of a 1ST ticket they will be happy to give you one. Sadly no biscuits, water, juice etc which I think is very poor for a two hour plus journey (Leeds/Sheffield to London!)

38Cto15E

Thanks all, I know there are no buffet cars any more, well open ones anyway, I just didn't expect to use RG services.

Ivanhoe, 30 minutes Leicester to Kettering via Manton, Wow!!!

Squaddie

Head and neck massage on request, and if you ask nicely the host will launder your clothes while you take a shower (cashmere bathrobe provided).

But seriously, this forum's obsession with whether or not you'll get a free biscuit and cup of instant coffee in first class is a bit of a joke.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
But seriously, this forum's obsession with whether or not you'll get a free biscuit and cup of instant coffee in first class is a bit of a joke.

I'm not sure, First Class is marketed as being a premium product with lots of extras over Standard, one of which is often free refreshments, so surely it's normal for people to ask what this entails?

tsr

Established Member

1. Technically, it's not all instant coffee - indeed, I believe at least one of the "hot beverage" systems on an Adelante operates to a slightly higher standard, for example.
2. On a less pedantic note, I feel that it would be nice if people can continue to post to find out the offerings in a bit more detail than (often shoddily-put-together) TOC websites provide, and that's as far as I'd take it. However, I can agree that it seems we do have a lot of nitpicking!

Knowing you'll probably get a cup of coffee is probably better than having no idea whatsoever.

krisk

More of how much do I get and where is best to sit to get served first rather than what the offer actually is

38Cto15E

Just to finish the thread off, I had a very nice trip 'around the Alps' today, HST southbound, 5 car Meridian northbound.
On the HST the TM served coffee and tea and water in First, I walked the length of the train and did not see a RG trolley in Standard.
Northbound, nothing at all as the RG staff had not turned up for work.
A first for me was going through Corby tunnel at 60mph, in the past my journeys were at a sedate 20mph. 51 minutes for the return journey,pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.