EMT GroupSave

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by kel-green, 11 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kel-green

kel-green Member

Three of us are planning a day return trip from Derby to Belper. I notice on brfares that a GR3 ticket is listed for this route, however, I cannot get this to come up when I try to book this online.

Is it possible to book these online and if so is there a particular site that I need to use?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

London Midland's site (or I think any of the Mixing Deck planners) can book GroupSaves if they exist.

4. causton

causton Established Member

Any reason you need to book it online? Nothing I can see that would mean it would cost any more to buy on the day...

...I am sure I have seen some websites that offer Groupsave tickets but cannot find any now!

5. kel-green

kel-green Member

Have just tried London Midland and they are not showing. Brfares states that GR3 is not valid between 4:29-9:00, but I'm looking outside this time period. Could there be any other times when they are not available?

6. causton

Ah, fancy, it does it automatically without having to fiddle with a "Railcard" option! Alas I can't get it to work on this one...

7. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

EMT GroupSave is implemented as a ticket type rather than a discount, but doesn't exist on all flows. They don't appear to be available online, however, so I'm guessing they're either issued as one ticket for the entire group, or with one at full price and the rest at zero fare.

8. Mojo

Mojo Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

When I did GroupSave between Derby and Boston a few years ago, it was issued as one ticket with Adult: ONE.

9. causton

I thought so, but BRFares showed them with "GS3" discount as per normal Groupsave... hmm!

10. LowLevel

LowLevel Established Member

EMT group save fares are only available from a booking office or on train and only on flows with an off peak day return available - they're listed as GR3, 4 or 5 as the ticket type and print as a ticket with Group Save Three as the type and adult ONE.

11. kel-green

kel-green Member

Can you buy EMT GroupSave tickets from any station booking office, or does it have to be at an EMT managed station?

12. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

Indeed.

Yet EMT falsely claims otherwise
    if only we had a proper ombudsman who could actually do something about such false claims! :|
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Any station can issue it... in theory. However whether they are able to work out how to issue it is another matter.

13. bunnahabhain

bunnahabhain Established Member

There's a booking office that irritates me by advertising that if you buy there you save up to 60% on your fares, and then sell tickets that aren't valid for the journeys people are trying to make or peak time tickets for off peak trains. There's also a gripe I have with some booking office selling a "Groupsave Day 3" which does indeed say "Adults: One" and telling passengers that its valid for four people because its "Three plus one".

Just...seriously???

14. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

Hmm, the ORR might be interested seeing that it contravenes their new code of practice for ticket retailing.

15. Camden

Camden Established Member

It's a company same as any other, if you're not happy with the marketing claims made you can try taking it up with the ASA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.