• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT HST refresh and future

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Am I correct in thinking EMT are putting their small HST fleet through a C6 overhaul at the moment hence some swaps with virgin east coast?

What work is taking place?

The next question is HST replacement for the MML... as electrification to Sheffield etc is delayed...

The HSTS are looking rather shabby these days and quite grubby but the white livery may not help. They may need to be made fully compliant soon? All other HSTS have an expiry date except those going to ScotRail which will be heavily refurbished as we know..

The meridians will almost certainly I imagine find a new home with Crosscountry eventually

It seems some diesels will still be needed for Leeds services etc and 387s could provide Corby services... sorry my MMl knowledge north of Bedford is poor never having travelled on the route

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
The next question is HST replacement for the MML... as electrification to Sheffield etc is delayed...

Either bi-mode AT300s, CAF rolling stock or a HST refurbishment (akin to Scotrail planning).

Hairy Bear

Coaches and power cars are going through there normal exam cycle. Work being done at Neville Hill.

Despite all the speculation the life extension for the HST'S has been given the go ahead but that work has not started yet.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
My guess is that they will get a derogation for continued use for a few years after 2020 despite not meeting the accessibility regulations in some respects. Which incidentally makes it more likely that preservationists will have access to some Mk3s close to structurally original condition!

Personally I doubt bi-modes are worthwhile on the Midland, and replacement is more likely to be a straight EMU though possibly with an auxiliary diesel for low-speed moves if power isn't available. None of the current extensions beyond the network that will be electrified justifies spending the difference to retain a through London service.

Established Member
Personally I doubt bi-modes are worthwhile on the Midland, and replacement is more likely to be a straight EMU though possibly with an auxiliary diesel for low-speed moves if power isn't available. None of the current extensions beyond the network that will be electrified justifies spending the difference to retain a through London service.

They make more sense on the MML than on many mainlines, e.g. what likelihood is there that diversionary routes such as Corby - Oakham, EM Parkway to Alfreton via Toton, Chesterfield - Sheffield via Beighton (''The Old Road'') etc will be electrified? The value of being able to divert from the mainline is often shown when there is an incident on the mainline Kettering and Leicester and trains are diverted via Corby, or more recently services were diverting from the mainline between Chesterfield & Sheffield due to a PHBT at Dronfield etc

Mugby

Established Member
I don't agree that EMT's HSTs look grubby and shabby, I think the interiors look really quite presentable and thank goodness they weren't fitted with those horrible high backed seats a la FGW style. There may be odd occasions when exterior washing is missed but that's easily rectified.

In fact, I've noticed several times recently that the seat moquette on the Meridians is looking decidedly worn and threadbare round the edges and doesn't compare well with HST seat coverings.

On Moderation
In fact, I've noticed several times recently that the seat moquette on the Meridians is looking decidedly worn and threadbare round the edges and doesn't compare well with HST seat coverings.

That's no surprise as the Meridians have flat cloth material whereas the HST fleet used moquette. Moquette is slightly more expensive, but lasts longer, wears better and gives a better impression of quality. In short, flat cloth is a false economy.

The TOCs keep needing to re-learn this lesson though there are some who haven't learnt at all - Southern/GTR, I'm looking at you.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
That's no surprise as the Meridians have flat cloth material whereas the HST fleet used moquette. Moquette is slightly more expensive, but lasts longer, wears better and gives a better impression of quality. In short, flat cloth is a false economy.

The TOCs keep needing to re-learn this lesson though there are some who haven't learnt at all - Southern/GTR, I'm looking at you.

I feel Southern/GTR have bigger issues at the moment. :)
Sam

fgwrich

Established Member

And oddly that should include First Groups GW as well.

Unlike some, I actually now prefer the type of Grammer seats within FGWs HSTs and others. However, what I do still object to is the replacing of the much better wearing Dark Blue Moquette with the light & dark grey flat cloth - something that is actually wearing worse than East Midlands Meridians already, largely down to the colours probably hiding the stains.

tom1649

The Grammer seats are too high backed for me. They reduce visibility and spaciousness. I understand that new seats have to be higher for 'safety reasons' but those are just too high. Good on EMT for sticking with the originals. Unfortunately they spoilt their 158s by putting them in those instead, but that's for another topic.

The EMT HSTs are my favourites. I don't think they put in the clinical "cool white" fluorescent tubes like FGW did either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.