• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT Oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
Driver training for the Lincoln Christmas specials? they usually take a HST over for the Market

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Traction knowledge for Nottingham drivers as the only work Nottingham drivers usually get for 43s are Summer Skegness runs, a small number of charter trains and Lincoln Christmas Market. Ditto for our Senior Conductors who usually get a few runs down the MML in March with a Guards Instructor for a refresh.

High Dyke

Established Member
Driver training for the Lincoln Christmas specials? they usually take a HST over for the Market
Plausible idea... However if it was a Derby driver then they most likely sign from Nottingham - Lincoln. It seems even more odd to take trip down the GN/GE Joint line and then return to London by the Midland line from Peterborough. Only looked to be two in the cab, unless of course it is to get a new driver some hours in on the traction, but without disrupting the MML too much by going back and forth.

Last edited:
Plausible idea... However if it was a Derby driver then they most likely sign from Nottingham - Lincoln. It seems even more odd to take trip down the GN/GE Joint line and then return to London by the Midland line from Peterborough. Only looked to be two in the cab, unless of course it is to get a new driver some hours in on the traction, but without disrupting the MML too much by going back and forth.

Why does it seem odd to return via Peterborough, the current service between Lincoln and Peterborough a 153 might be crammed so the run the HST to Peterborough to relieve the stress then return through Melton Mowbray/Oakham

Class 66's

louis97

Established Member
There are some strange EMT services. There was one on Monday where a 158 came over from Peterborough via Melton Mowbray to St. Pancras. I would have some video footage however it came 14 minutes later than realtime trains had stated. Why are the following trains running?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C71756/2014/10/22/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C71756/2014/10/21/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C71756/2014/10/20/advanced

See my post in the other thread here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1945369&postcount=7

Tomnick

Established Member
There are some strange EMT services. There was one on Monday where a 158 came over from Peterborough via Melton Mowbray to St. Pancras. I would have some video footage however it came 14 minutes later than realtime trains had stated.
Timed for a 158 for part of the journey, but - as the posts above show - it was actually booked for an HST, as a traction refresher for Nottingham drivers (and guards?) as Jamie correctly stated. No, it wouldn't have strengthened anything between Lincoln and Peterborough - it's run as a class 5 every time, as far as I'm aware. It certainly did on Monday.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Timed for a 158 for part of the journey, but - as the posts above show - it was actually booked for an HST, as a traction refresher for Nottingham drivers (and guards?) as Jamie correctly stated. No, it wouldn't have strengthened anything between Lincoln and Peterborough - it's run as a class 5 every time, as far as I'm aware. It certainly did on Monday.

Jamie said it was for drivers and guards, so that will be the case.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What's DOO
DOO is a commonly used three-letter abbreviation around these parts, it stands for Driver-Only-Operated, this means that the Driver is in sole responsibility for the running of the train.

TP

Kneedown

Established Member

Basically the pool of HST trained drivers at Nottingham has been depleted lately due to retirements, long term sickness etc.
It's been decided to top up the complement of HST Drivers and the best way to get the required handling hours, Nottingham Drivers not having route knowledge beyond Leicester, is to run the HST that normally stables at Cricklewood for the day as a training train.
I was the Instructor on it Monday and Tuesday. Unfortunately it was cancelled at Leicester at the last minute on Wednesday due to an HST failure down South!

ACBest

Basically the pool of HST trained drivers at Nottingham has been depleted lately due to retirements, long term sickness etc.
It's been decided to top up the complement of HST Drivers and the best way to get the required handling hours, Nottingham Drivers not having route knowledge beyond Leicester, is to run the HST that normally stables at Cricklewood for the day as a training train.
I was the Instructor on it Monday and Tuesday. Unfortunately it was cancelled at Leicester at the last minute on Wednesday due to an HST failure down South!

You may have seen me on Tuesday then! I was at Ballast Holes foot crossing in Lincoln, just after Doddington Road level crossing/Hykeham station heading in to Lincoln. Couldn't believe that it bucketed it down at the precise moment you appeared and then stopped once you'd passed, hence I went back in the afternoon - only to find the sun was in a rubbish place.

Never mind, there's always next time...!

Status
Not open for further replies.