• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT train overtakes East Coast Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todays 1657 from Norwich to Manchester Piccadilly was routed out of Peterborough on the Fast Line to Grantham which is most unusual.
Even more surprising was that we overtook an East Coast Electric, Leeds Bound train which was on the slow line!

Never known this happen before, though we were 19 late out of Peterborough.

Saw Mallard at Grantham as well!#

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manchester77

Established Member
Doubt it was mallard probably one of the A4s. Mallards a static display at the NRM in York and isn't mainline registered :)

EDIT: you probably saw 'Sir Nigel Gresley' which is in a similar livery to mallard however one of our other more in the know member can tell you more about the train you saw :D

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
Doubt it was mallard probably one of the A4s. Mallards a static display at the NRM in York and isn't mainline registered :)

Yes it is. For being hauled only.

I'm sure we have a thread about Mallard's return to Stoke Bank.

northernchris

Established Member
Was in Doncaster yesterday and saw Mallard and a Deltic being hauled southbound by a 56

D365

Veteran Member
Definitely Mallard. On display at Grantham this weekend as detailed in other threads. Wish I could pop up and see it there but it'll have to be The Great Gathering in October...

Skimble19

Established Member
Another steamer (blue - fairly sure it was Tornado!) was going south on the ECML earlier too, hauled by an EWS liveried 67.

High Dyke

Established Member
Todays 1657 from Norwich to Manchester Piccadilly was routed out of Peterborough on the Fast Line to Grantham which is most unusual.
Even more surprising was that we overtook an East Coast Electric, Leeds Bound train which was on the slow line!

Never known this happen before, though we were 19 late out of Peterborough.

Saw Mallard at Grantham as well!#
The Leeds service (1D25) is a booked route using the the Down Stamford/Down Slow to Stoke Junction...it allows 1S28 to pass. Whereas the Norwich - Liverpool service is booked Fast line from Peterborough, as it runs ahead of 1S28.

shedman

Funny this should be mentioned because I was heading south and saw this happen!

38Cto15E

When the consist departed York, the 56 was making more smoke than an A4, BBC East Mids showed it Wednesday evening.

philjo

Established Member
When I was leaving Kings Cross on the 18:53 FCC service last night there was an EC 225 set in platform 4 or 5 with the 91 round the wrong way, coupled so that the blunt end would be leading. I can't remember what the speed limit is for the 91s running blunt end first but it would be slower than normal meaning it could be routed to allow other trains to pass it between Peterborough & Grantham. Not sure if it was actually operating a service northbound like that (it had just arrived) - obviously on the southbound working the dvt was leading so still normal speed.

Funny this should be mentioned because I was heading south and saw this happen!

You must have passed me as I headed north then.

I can't recollect being on the fast line before on this journey so must have been some changes over the past year.

Nozzacook

When I was leaving Kings Cross on the 18:53 FCC service last night there was an EC 225 set in platform 4 or 5 with the 91 round the wrong way, coupled so that the blunt end would be leading. I can't remember what the speed limit is for the 91s running blunt end first but it would be slower than normal meaning it could be routed to allow other trains to pass it between Peterborough & Grantham. Not sure if it was actually operating a service northbound like that (it had just arrived) - obviously on the southbound working the dvt was leading so still normal speed.

Class 91's if I remember correctly are restricted to 100mph when running blunt end first.

Status
Not open for further replies.